Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread, new pics! I survived a foot of snow in mine. I was wishing I had a stove.
fbcc100a863e2a9ff06c8265f2098209.jpg
f431c3de9db1bd1bd8db82cd174b4b31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I just noticed this thread is in the "Backpacking/DIY Hunting Equipment - Backpacks" forum. Anyone want to move it?

Owenst7

WKR
I'll get around to posting the explanation for WHY we did this, but I spent ~4 days with 3 people in my Mountain Shelter recently on an elk/mulie hunt. Two of us are 5'10", guy in the blue bag at the zipper/opening is about 6'2".

Two can definitely fit lol. We actually had backpacks and rifles in there for most of the nights.
5lUeQDV.jpg

ETlls2r.jpg

I ended up figuring out how to pitch it to adjacent trees with the limited cordage I had on hand, which allowed us to skip using any hiking poles inside, which made it a bit more comfortable. Prior to that, we were using a pair in a V-shape to pitch the front/taller of the two peaks. It worked well for space, but the two guys sleeping in the back would knock the poles out while climbing back there and it was kind of a hassle. My poles only go out to 54" also, and ideally we needed poles that went to at least probably 60" to really make that configuration work well.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
I'll get around to posting the explanation for WHY we did this, but I spent ~4 days with 3 people in my Mountain Shelter recently on an elk/mulie hunt. Two of us are 5'10", guy in the blue bag at the zipper/opening is about 6'2".

Two can definitely fit lol. We actually had backpacks and rifles in there for most of the nights.
5lUeQDV.jpg

ETlls2r.jpg

I ended up figuring out how to pitch it to adjacent trees with the limited cordage I had on hand, which allowed us to skip using any hiking poles inside, which made it a bit more comfortable. Prior to that, we were using a pair in a V-shape to pitch the front/taller of the two peaks. It worked well for space, but the two guys sleeping in the back would knock the poles out while climbing back there and it was kind of a hassle. My poles only go out to 54" also, and ideally we needed poles that went to at least probably 60" to really make that configuration work well.

Haha, this would be quite intimate. Looking forward to hearing this story.

That has to be a good story, lol. Mine is a palace for one, ok for two...but three, you would have to be good friends.

How did it do with the snow load?

I am thinking of sewing some dynema loops on top of the ridge pockets and seam sealing them, it would make pitching without poles easier with just a ridge line or tied straight up into trees.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
That has to be a good story, lol. Mine is a palace for one, ok for two...but three, you would have to be good friends.

How did it do with the snow load?

I am thinking of sewing some dynema loops on top of the ridge pockets and seam sealing them, it would make pitching without poles easier with just a ridge line or tied straight up into trees.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I actually was not sure what the two guys' names were at the point we hiked out there. I filled my mulie tag opening day and wasn't ready to stop hunting, last-minute ended up tagging along with them 7 miles in. We're pretty good friends now haha. Spent two days butchering 2 cows and 2 bucks at one of their houses after we got back.

We only got a few inches of snow, so I won't really speak to the loading-abilities. The way I had it pitched, there was a flat area in the saddle between the two peaks, and I swiped the snow off there a couple times. I think had I pitched the guyouts on the sides/field downward instead of upward, it would have worked differently. As it was, I was trying to maximize interior volume and I had less-than-ideal locations of trees around me. We were tired and had issues avoiding widowmakers when looking for a camp site, and I didn't have a ton of cordage with me.

I'd try pitching it free-standing before you start sewing things onto it. I was surprised at how well it pitched without poles, despite the trees I tied it to being located in seemingly all the wrong locations.

Last edited:
Bumping this as we’re getting close to hunting season and I picked one up for my CO backpack hunt. I like it so far, haven’t slept in it yet but I think 2 average sized guys and lightweight gear shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve found having the packs stand up against the rear pole, with boots left under the vestibule seems to be the best layout.

I also got the footprint for their Morrison 2 tent, it’s 52”x88” which is the perfect size to go under 2 sleeping pads and not worry about hanging out under the edges. It’s under $30, weighs 8 oz, and I’ve also pitched it as a glassing/emergency tarp with a pair of trekking poles. It’s not huge by any means, but fine for 2 guys to sit under or one to sleep under in a pinch. I think it adds some versatility for sure if you carry it in your pack.

Amazon.com : Morrison Tent 2 Footprint. : Sports & Outdoors

I haven’t punched holes in it for the trekking poles yet, and the one thing I was too stupid to realize when I ordered the Mountain Shelter is that I’d want my trekking poles with me while hunting, while still leaving the tent set up at spike camp. :rolleyes:

I’ll try to pitch it with cut sticks or tie the peaks up to some trees, ideally it would be used by 2 guys each carrying trekking poles, so each could contribute one to pitch the shelter and still have one to hike with and pitch the glassing tarp.

mt100gr.

WKR
When I want my trekking poles for during the day, I just pull them out from under my seek outside shelter and leave the corners all staked in place. It's out of the wind this way and serves as a tarp over any camp gear. Just reset the poles when you get back and it's a tent again. If it's windy I will lay a few weights of some kind over the sunken tent so it doesn't flop around. Your camp is also less visible this way should anyone else be nearby.

When I want my trekking poles for during the day, I just pull them out from under my seek outside shelter and leave the corners all staked in place. It's out of the wind this way and serves as a tarp over any camp gear. Just reset the poles when you get back and it's a tent again. If it's windy I will lay a few weights of some kind over the sunken tent so it doesn't flop around. Your camp is also less visible this way should anyone else be nearby.

Thanks. I considered that but figured I might come back to a pool of water on top of it that had seeped through to my bag. I suppose it’s not a big deal to use some type of stick to prop it up, but I don’t plan to carry a saw which makes breaking it fairly imprecise.

Owenst7

WKR
Thanks. I considered that but figured I might come back to a pool of water on top of it that had seeped through to my bag. I suppose it’s not a big deal to use some type of stick to prop it up, but I don’t plan to carry a saw which makes breaking it fairly imprecise.

The lengths don't really need to be that precise. I use my 54" canoe paddles all spring for whitewater trips. I just tip the rear one at an angle towards the front paddle. Actually give me a bit more floor space that way.

TravisIN

WKR
b14bb53353aaeec75925ec0d21fcca46.jpg

I was really happy with mine last year. I m not sure what else I could ask for in a solo shelter. Lightweight, easy set up, plenty of room for me and all my gear, no durability issues yet and construction is very good. Went through every type of weather but snow, but wouldn’t be scared to use it with some snow in the forecast. Took the high winds it was in without any issue. I upgraded stakes this year, but other than that I’m content. I would like to get a bigger two man option someday for when the boy is old enough to go. Haven’t tried any other floor less shelters so I’m definitely not saying it’s the best, but for the price I’m very happy and couldn’t justify getting another solo shelter that’s triple the cost. Hahaha and I am very VERY good at justifying gear upgrades to my self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okcaveman

FNG
Definitely gonna have to grab one of these. Be a super cheap entry into the floorless world. I'll probably add a stove Jack just to see how I like that.

BradS

FNG
Bought this for me and my buddies CO elk hunt. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Bought mine off the classifieds here a few months back and finally got it set up in the back yard for the first time! This is my first floorless as well and I cant wait to use it. I paired it with a Borah Side Zip bivy to keep bugs out.

Drenalin

WKR
Anybody still using their Mountain Shelter LT? How do you like it?

I think this is a good shelter, at a good price point and weight, but I'm trying to lighten mine up. Haven't been able to come up with much though. I swapped out the guylines, scrapped all the plastic hardware in favor of knots, and replaced the zipper pulls with cord. Any other ideas?

I think mine's 30.5 ounces now, and I could still throw out the stuff sack and stake bag. I've also considered cutting off the stake loops and replacing them with longer loops of cord, not necessarily to save weight but to help me get a higher pitch.