Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

I use mine. I really like it but I don't want another guy in there with me. I like to spread out. I may put a stove jack in it one day.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen any pictures of a green one so here it is
7347LIe.jpg

I like that. Why they ever went with bright yellow to begin with is beyond me. Still a.great inexpensive shelter.

I picked up a brand new one in the green for $84 off of jet.com. Gonna put it to use for my scouting trip to Colorado this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just ordered one in green thanks for sharing I didn't know they started making new color.

Gonewest

WKR
I picked up a brand new one in the green for $84 off of jet.com. Gonna put it to use for my scouting trip to Colorado this week.

Did you find a green one on jet.com? I'm only seeing them in yellow.

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
I just received mine in green today , I got mine off of campsaver.com for $103 , I was seeing them as low as $75 about 2 weeks ago but haven't been able to find the green any cheaper then $100 the last week

Optics Planet has the green at $99, yellow 89$ if you spend 100$ you can use the 10$ off code.

Owenst7

WKR
H6nVrLo.jpg

Bought the green one about a month ago. Pretty sure I'll take this on my hunt this October.

Used it this weekend in Colorado for the first time. For the money, I don't think you can beat it. I wish the pole placements were separated by another foot. Seems like it would be too tight for two people. For the $84 I spent and the quality of the product, I firmly believe these are being undersold. It's super easy to setup and it actually fits back in it's stuff sack! The green is more of a brownish, which I am a hug fan of. I don't know how anyone can stand to look at the yellow version. My only major gripe is the vestibule. Where it opens up, it needs to be spiked down at the bottom to be fully secured, which when you call it a night, you need to have it spiked down, so getting in can be very awkward and a tight fit (unless I'm doing it incorrectly).
a0b0d2ab39243a3b703b42e4c0decd91.jpg
cc47a03ab2fc3236a0f737d279560d5b.jpg

Last edited:
Are the green ones made out of the same 70D fabric the yellows ones are made of? Any chance they went to a lighter weight material?

Owenst7

WKR
Are the green ones made out of the same 70D fabric the yellows ones are made of? Any chance they went to a lighter weight material?

I haven't seen the yellow ones in person to compare, but my green one is about as heavy of material as I could see it needing to be. I'm sure it could be made of lighter material and still be pretty durable. That said, I'd rather carry a few extra ounces with the thicker material than see them lighten it up.

I was happy with the interior space, but I was sharing it with my girlfriend. Her uncle may be coming with me on my hunt this year, so I guess I'll find out if it's too small haha. I think the footprint is a good compromise between being way too big for one person and way too small for two though. I could comfortably use it with my girlfriend and my border collie provided we weren't waiting out a 3 day storm or anything.

Weights on mine are:
30.2 ounces with stuff sack, without the stakes/stake bag (I think this was before I added 6' of Lawson glowline to each stakeout point)
36.7 ounces with the stake bag and provided 13 stakes.

The stakes are .5 ounces each and about 6"-7" long, similar to the Lawson Apex stakes. They're some of the better stakes I've ever had provided with a shelter. They're similar in weight and mechanical properties to any of the aftermarket stakes like full size groundhawgs.

My Cascade Mountain Tech carbon poles (the Costco ones) have just enough adjustment to pitch this shelter BTW. They max out at like 54.5". If you wanted to pitch it more than a couple inches off the ground for ventilation or whatever, you'd need to add some length to your poles or cut a branch or something. I pitched the rear pole a bit longer than they call for and unzipped the door and got a nice pass-through breeze.

My only major gripe is the vestibule. Where it opens up, it needs to be spiked down at the bottom to be fully secured, which when you call it a night, you need to have it spiked down, so getting in can be very awkward and a tight fit (unless I'm doing it incorrectly).

I pitched it with the zipper closed and only staked the left side loop of the vestibule. I just pulled it to where the whole vestibule was snug and then opened it. Seemed to work fine to me. It probably won't next time I try it haha. I did use guylines on one side of it instead of just taking the loops straight to the pegs, and I did go around and adjust the tension in a few places after it was pitched. I have to camp on solid slabs of granite fairly often, so I'm in the habit of guying out to boulders or logs and having lots of adjustment.

Last edited:
Just got the yellow delivered today by Amazon for $83 vs. $106 for the green. I don't mind the yellow for $23 savings. Excited to set it up tonight when I get home, looks like a great shelter and a hell of a bargain.

Josh

The yellow ones not that horrible to look at just pitch it in some trees to camo it