Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
Just got this shelter and did a quick rough pitch. I didn't camp in it or take it into the backcountry. Just basically had time to pitch it and check it out. For those looking to try the floorless thing this is a cheap way to get into it and test the water. Initial impression- the shelter seems durable. the stuff sack is oversized and can be compressed down to about 2/3 the size of it's capacity. the size is definitely large enough for 2 people with gear. i like that it has a built in zippered annex. the annex can be split in half and each side can be rolled up separately or both together for a completely opened front. I would prefer the shelter to come down further to the ground but i'm sure if you spent more time with it one could improve the pitch. the rear ventilation pocket seems like a plus. the shelter as a whole seemed sturdy and i didn't even have the two front and 1 rear guy lines secured. the shelter has a printed measurement guide on it so you can quickly adjust the trekking poles or cut some sticks the correct size. i didn't put the shelter on an ounce counter yet. i'll try and do that at work tomorrow to see how close the 2 pound manufactures specs are. here are some photos:
DSCI0034.jpgDSCI0035.jpgDSCI0036.jpgDSCI0037.jpgDSCI0039.jpg

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I like it - I am curious what it actually weighs too.
Cute kids by the way.

By the way their website says the zippers are YKK???

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i'll double check the zippers. if they say they are them i'm sure they are. they functioned smooth i just didn't see the ykk stamp at first glance. i'll double check. thanks

bounds

WKR
I'm picking one of these up in the next few weeks as well. I've been wanting to try floorless, but have not wanted to spend much to try it out. Thanks for some better pics! I usually pack my tent in with my bag in a compression sack, so I won't have to worry about the oversized stuff sacks they send. Can't wait to hear what it actually weighs. Thanks baker!

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm picking one of these up in the next few weeks as well. I've been wanting to try floorless, but have not wanted to spend much to try it out. Thanks for some better pics! I usually pack my tent in with my bag in a compression sack, so I won't have to worry about the oversized stuff sacks they send. Can't wait to hear what it actually weighs. Thanks baker!

The only reason i stated the sacks were oversized was 1. The shelter can be compressed down a lot smaller than what the pic with the nalgene bottle shows and 2. for the ounce counters you could shave a whole oz. By swapping the peg sack.

jls

FNG
This is a nice looking setup.

Looks like the lil ones fit in there pretty well. Any chance for a pic with adults or maybe a sleeping pad to give a little better idea of the space? Who did you buy from?

Thanks

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider

Looks like the lil ones fit in there pretty well. Any chance for a pic with adults or maybe a sleeping pad to give a little better idea of the space? Who did you buy from?

Thanks

once i get it in the field i'll take some better photos. as far as space goes the floorspace is only a couple of feet less than the megatarp. as far as the usable inside space its seems spaced between the megatarp and the supertarp.

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks

i got mine from promotive for a good price but i've seen them elsewhere for just over 100.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on going the floorless route and had almost settled on a SL-5. But the price of this shelter keeps me coming back for more. My main concern is if 2 guys, guns, and 5 + days of gear will fit comfortably..?

dotman

WKR
Is this the same company Patrick, owner of Kifaru sold? I know he started and sold a company called Mountainsmith.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I plan on going the floorless route and had almost settled on a SL-5. But the price of this shelter keeps me coming back for more. My main concern is if 2 guys, guns, and 5 + days of gear will fit comfortably..?

Personally, I want a bit more space for two people if going for more than just 1-2 nights. My SL-3 is 60 sq ft and I wouldn't want to have that be my only shelter for very long with another guy and all our gear.

Keep in mind that floorless shelters get wet on the inside compared to a double wall. This makes the shelter a bit smaller than it is due to voiding the wet walls. Especially if you suck the whole thing to the ground. The higher the pitch the better really in most instances if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

For the money though it certainly like a great little shelter for sure!!! One thing I'd like to see on it is all the guyouts on the bottom of the tent have tensioners cause when it rains it'll need to be tightened up as the silnylon expands. But for two guys their packs, guns, would leave very little space to move around or cook out of the rain...which is fine if you know that going in and aren't tent bound due to weather for too many days.

Again great looking shelter given the coin for sure.