Thoughts on why Kifaru Mountain Rambler is no longer available?

Hey all,

I remember there was a lot of interest when the Rambler was first announced, especially around the integrated load shelf and scabbard. I bought one as my first Kifaru pack and was very happy with it, but I wanted a lighter and simpler bag, so I switched over to the Tahr in 500D. I had no problem selling the Rambler, and there was a lot of interest in it.

Do you have any ideas about why the Rambler had a pretty short life as a Kifaru product? I think there was some concern from people over the looseness of the pack mounting to the frame, but I never had a problem with that on my 26" frame --- I was able to get quite a lot of tensions between the top G-clips and bottom 3-bar sliders. It certainly wasn't as solid as the hypalon sleeve, but the little bit of shifting wasn't an issue.

I guess now that I'm Rambler-less, I'm reflecting on what I liked and didn't like about it, and my curiousity was piqued about why it was discontinued.

Thoughts?

Jauwater

WKR
I watched a video on it a while back and was wondering the same thing. Looks like a pack that would fit my needs nearly perfect.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

geriggs

WKR
usually only one reason. Sales. The T1 and T2 have been around for a while....other packs not so much. Wish I would have kept my rambler. That being said..a patent issue would be another reason.

I had a rambler, sold it, and now have another one. Per recommendation of another rokslide member, I added g-hooks to the bottom vertical compression straps and it's no longer floppy:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/37194-kifaru-tahr-mountain-rambler-2.html#post423680

The tahr is a pretty different pack compared to the rambler.
IMG_1721.JPG

OP
S
The possible patent infringement is something I hadn't thought about --- if that's true, I can probably guess the competitor. That would certainly be a good reason for it being removed. I've only been following Kifaru's products for a couple of years, but it seems like they've really ramped up the introduction of new packs... I don't know if that's a change or always their process, but it makes sense that new packs are going to unseat old packs.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It was pulled due to patent infringement. The patent runs out some time next year and the last I heard the Mountain Rambler will be re-released after that. It is a great pack and still one of my favorite rifle hunting packs.

OP
S
So now that I added "patent" to my searches for info, I found the reference from Aron to the infringement claim:
What happened to the Mountain Rambler?

Glenn from Eberlestock feels we are infringing on his patent for the gun scabbard portion. We are working on tweaking the pack slightly to avoid going to court over anything.

We will have it back on the website after we get caught back up on things.

Kotaman

WKR
So now that I added "patent" to my searches for info, I found the reference from Aron to the infringement claim:
What happened to the Mountain Rambler?

Yep, it should be back. I picked one up after it was pulled and it has become one of my favorite Kifaru Packs. It is a little sloppy on my Bikini Frame but works AWESOME on the new Ultralite Frame. The rifle scabbard is my favorite thing about this pack and can't wait to see a revised edition of the Mountain Rambler.

I finally got a rambler after pining for one. I haven't used it yet as I'd set up an MR crew cab as my day hunting pack. It seems like a great idea but the crew cab, which is a different design has grown on me.

What is this g hook thing on the bottom you speak of?

I know this is an old thread but I’m wondering if there’s still any chance that the mountain rambler will be reintroduced? I have always liked the inverted rifle scabbard with the rifle stored close to your back; but I’m not a big fan of Eberlestock packs. I’d sure like a mountain rambler OR a scabbard for my Reckoning that would allow me to carry my rifle between my bag and the frame.

Someone a few posts up mentioned that the patent was about to run out so I’m hoping maybe we’ll see something in 2018? Anyone have any clue?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is Kifaru will probably not re-introduce it.

Also for those that have the Rambler and have it floppy as it connects at the top to the frame, you can cut the g hooks off and replace them with k clips and your problem will be solved.

Dobermann

WKR
Frank at Kifaru told me a few months back that, despite speculation on Rokslide at the time, there were no plans to reintroduce the Rambler at this point - or any other bag with an integral scabbard.

A few pics surfaced about the same time with a larger, more heavy-duty looking scabbard to go with the Nomad. Check out the latest Kifarucast for a very brief update about this - it's apparently about to be released soon: Q&A #3 - Kifaru International

In that podcast, Aron also comments that as the Eberlestock patent is about to expire, 'the industry will be overwhelmed and inundated with scabbard packs', which might explain why the plans to reintroduce the Rambler might have been dropped - at least for now.

As for the slop issues, there are a few threads on here. Unfortunately, some of the best images have disappeared because of Photobucket. There are two main issues that cause the slop - the first is that you effectively have three pieces of fabric at the back of the pack - the back 'wall' of the pack itself, the outer sleeve of the scabbard, and the meat/extension shelf. The G-hooks are attached to the middle of these, so you then have two other planes that can move around unless secured. The second issue the bottom of the bag.

I'm still troubleshooting mine - I sway between thinking it's one of the cleverest Kifaru options, and one of the most frustrating. It also doesn't help that there are huge differences between how the original videos say the pack will be configured, and the multiple versions that actually made it out.

However, but the mods that work so far for me are:

- In addition to the G-hooks at the top, also attach some split bar ladderlocks to the loops at the top of the pack (this is on the first of the three bits of fabric above, or the back 'wall' of the bag). Run the lid webbing strap up through the plastic loop at the top of the frame, and then back down to the ladderlocks; this pulls the bag up tight. In one of the original videos, Aron said that the pack would come with ladderlocks here, but mine didn't. After running through the ladderlocks on the bag, it's possible to then double the webbing back to ladderlocks on a lid. This makes for a far tighter lid than one connected with male/female buckles, and one that's quicker to move than one done 'book' style with K-clips.

- Running K-clip compression straps from the loop at the bottom rear of the bag, under the bottom of the bag, up through the plastic common loop on the bottom outer of the bag, and then to a male Autolock buckle that connects to the lid makes the bag tight from top to bottom as a unit, as well as helping with compression.

- It's then possible to run a short piece of webbing from the same fabric tab loop at the bottom rear of the bag to a G-hook which connects to the bottom-most tab loop of the frame. For now, I've used two Harness Extensions from FHF Gear, which work great (Harness Extension

– fhfgear
), then connected to an ITW G-Hook with a wave, for increased locking ability (ITW G-Hook Wave - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE). I find the plastic Slik-Clip on the FHF Extension a bit fiddly, and I'm sceptical about its ruggedness, so will probably swap it out for a Kifaru K-clip if/when these ever come back in stock.

- As for the compression straps, I got rid of all of the sloppy male/female-ended buckle options mine came with. I then went with three compression strap points as follows: I run a K-clip from the top loop on each side the bag, through the webbing at the top of the side slot pockets, back to a male Autolock-to female split tail connection to the top loop on the frame. (This means using a total of two K-clips, two short pieces of webbing, and two male/female buckles, total, for this horizontal plane.) I also run the same from the bottom loop on each side of the pack back to the bottom frame loop. So at the top and lower point of the frame, I have compression to the side of the bag, but not all the way around. Finally, I run a single compression strap around the whole bag at the middle. This connects to a K-clip on each of the second-to-top tab loops on the frame. This angle pulls the bag back and up to the frame. This strap connects in the middle with a single buckle, again with a male Autolock. Running this strap around the whole frame means both that the bag is tightly located to the frame in the middle of the bag, as well as providing for 'around-the-bag' compression.

- Finally, I think it would make sense to marry the Rambler to a Tactical, not a Hunting frame, for two key reasons. First, the Tactical frame has two rows of tab loops that the oval sliders on the extension/meat shelf flap can connect to (the Hunting frame only has one row of these, which means the meat shelf either hangs lower than the pack body if mounted low, or flaps around if mounted high). The Tactical frame would mean that this piece of material would be located at a high and low point, not just one. Second, all of the connection and compression points I've mentioned here seem to put a lot of stress on my Hunting frame when they're all cranked up. Sure, the pack is now slop-proof and super-tight -and the Hunting frame is no doubt up to the job - but I suspect the Tactical frame would handle all of this stress better.

Just some thoughts in case this helps! (And no, I don't have any pics! :D)