Exo or kifaru

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am sure this has been covered, please help me anyway!
So I was convinced to go with the kifaru Reckoning, Aron even gave me his cell phone number to talk about it, which says a lot for him I think. I keep circling back to the simplicity of the exo 5500. I have no experience with a pack. 2017 will be my first backpack hunting trip. I hear the twist or articulating in the exo pack frame makes a noticable difference in comfort. Has someone that has had both give feed back? I am sure they are both great packs from the reviews I have read, but would like to hear what you guys think.
Thanks

DWinVA

WKR
Can't go wrong w/ either. I have a first gen EXO 3500 and it works great. My cuz has the new Kifaru hunting frame and it's awesome as well. A lot of guys on here mix and match...myself included, I run a guide lid on mine now. The one thing I envy on the Kifaru is the pals on the belt. Good luck.

God Bless.

i do not own a EXo, but one thing i will point out, you see some guys with kifaru frames, and EXO bags mounted to them
not the other way around.
with that said, i haven't heard or read anything negative about the k2 frame.
order both, wear around the house, keep one send one back...

If you have the means , order both , keep the one you like and return the other . To make it cheaper you could probably just order frame and belt then add a bag after you find out what frame feels best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
i do not own a EXo, but one thing i will point out, you see some guys with kifaru frames, and EXO bags mounted to them
not the other way around.
with that said, i haven't heard or read anything negative about the k2 frame.
order both, wear around the house, keep one send one back...

I think this is because these guys A)already have a kifaru frame and B) the exo bags have everything you need and nothing you don't.

You will get a ton of opinions but if you can, order both and try them around your house. Keep the one that fits best. For me that was the Exo hands down.

I use a Kifaru Hunter Duplex with Exo bag. Incredible setup. I have owned 3 Exo frames and packs along with 15 Kifaru's. I have never taken a liking to Kifaru pack bags but their frames and suspension are second to none. That is until this new pack coming out. I will definitely have one as it is very appealing.

twall13

WKR
I have an Exo and love it. That said, if you have a torso longer than about 20 inches the kifaru frame might be better. I love the exo bags but fall into the long torso category. It still works well for most loads but when I get over 60 lbs. I wish the angle on the load lifters had a bit more to work with. That is really the only reason I plan on moving my exo bag to a Kifaru frame before next season. Both are great packs but everyone will have their preference. I think the Kifaru frames a more adaptable to different body types since they come in different lengths and for flat or curved backs. Still, for most guys the Exo will be awesome. As others have said, try them both and decide from there. Yes it's a lot of money but if you are like me, hunting is the one hobby I spend money on and a good fitting functional pack plays a huge role to me on the mountain. Once you get it dialed in you will use that pack for years. You may ask around if any Rokslide members are in your area, most guys are happy to let you try on their pack to see if it works for you.

There are a lot of threads on this. I have an EXO K2 3500 and love it and the improvements over the 2015 model but I was getting frustrated with some squeaking coming from the frame and snatched up a used Kifaru hunter Duplex off the classifieds here. Since then I think the squeaks have been addressed by loosening up the Velcro on the fabric sleeve the k2 frame sits in.

I have yet to haul anything in the Kifaru frame but first impression is I can see how the Kifaru would be a more stable and comfortable with heavy loads but have no complaints with the K2. After switching back and forth between just the frames on my back, the K2 feels like it isn't even there compared to the Kifaru which isn't uncomfortable but you definitely know it's there. This matters to me because most of my hunts are day hunts with a light pack but still might need to pack out an animal up to 7 miles.

The new reckoning looks like a sweet bag but a few things about the Exo bags still stand out for me:
-*edit, exo bags are not waterproof like I thought, just have xpac water resistant material.
-full length side pockets with the stretch pocket outside at the bottom - I'm guessing there is more volume in these side pockets but what I really like is I can stick the tips of trekking pole tips in the bottom stretch pocket and use the compression straps to secure them outside the side pockets. Also likely more room for Spotters or a rifle if one was so inclined
-Front zip on the side allows for large front stretch pocket
-Comes with a well thought out lid without an upcharge

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
Don't own Kifaru but do own a newer EXO 3500 with K2 frame. I have not hauled meat with it yet but have loaded it with about 40lbs. Incredibly comfortable pack. Like someone else mentioned...you almost forget you're wearing it. It moves with you and is not overly bulky with totally adequate padding in the belt and lumbar. Overall very happy with the pack.

jtw

WKR
I've had the 2015 and k2 exo with 2000 and 3500 bags and now have a hunting duplex with composite stays and arrows. I think the duplex with arrows has everything the exo frame does in terms of torsional flex but the belt is 1000 times better. As far as the bags go I like the 3500 a lot but now run an argali and add pockets as needed. Bags though are personal choice.

texag10

WKR
There are a lot of threads on this. I have an EXO K2 3500 and love it and the improvements over the 2015 model but I was getting frustrated with some squeaking coming from the frame and snatched up a used Kifaru hunter Duplex off the classifieds here. Since then I think the squeaks have been addressed by loosening up the Velcro on the fabric sleeve the k2 frame sits in.

I have yet to haul anything in the Kifaru frame but first impression is I can see how the Kifaru would be a more stable and comfortable with heavy loads but have no complaints with the K2. After switching back and forth between just the frames on my back, the K2 feels like it isn't even there compared to the Kifaru which isn't uncomfortable but you definitely know it's there. This matters to me because most of my hunts are day hunts with a light pack but still might need to pack out an animal up to 7 miles.

The new reckoning looks like a sweet bag but a few things about the Exo bags still stand out for me:
-Waterproof, don't need a trash compactor liner
-full length side pockets with the stretch pocket outside at the bottom - I'm guessing there is more volume in these side pockets but what I really like is I can stick the tips of trekking pole tips in the bottom stretch pocket and use the compression straps to secure them outside the side pockets. Also likely more room for Spotters or a rifle if one was so inclined
-Front zip on the side allows for large front stretch pocket
-Comes with a well thought out lid without an upcharge

I didn't know exo bags were waterproof, I thought they were just 500d cordura.

twall13

WKR
I didn't know exo bags were waterproof, I thought they were just 500d cordura.
They aren't waterproof but they use xpac waterproof fabric for a portion of the main bag. They actually have drain holes in the bottom of the bag. It's not a dry bag by any means but the fabric will shed rain and blood pretty well.

They aren't waterproof but they use xpac waterproof fabric for a portion of the main bag. They actually have drain holes in the bottom of the bag. It's not a dry bag by any means but the fabric will shed rain and blood pretty well.

My bad, guess I should know my stuff before I start posting..

freshta

WKR
Kifaru has a new pack coming out? Whats is called? When's it scheduled to be released?

I sold all of my Kifaru packs and frames and picked up a used Exo 3500. I was getting tired of having to try to find pockets to do what I wanted them to and being unsuccessful with Kifaru packs. They are comfortable and carry loads well, but didn't have what I was looking for.

The Exo on the other hand is a simple pack, adjusts easily, doesn't have forty extra feet of webbing to deal with and has the pockets I want, where I want. I never carried meat in my pack, but I did carry a load of 40lbs of trash out of a wilderness area this summer, plus 40lbs of my gear. I used the meat shelf and put the trash between the frame and the pack and it worked really well. I carried it like this for 14 miles. No complaints.

Kifaru is a great company, makes great gear, but for the price they cost, new or used, I wasn't happy with the configurations. I've carried my Exo for approxomately 400 miles this summer in SW Colorado doing trail maintenance and won't use any other pack.

I'd highly suggest to figure out what it is you want in a pack for your intended purposes and then do the research to find it.

Where are you located in WV? I am near Wheeling. I have Kifaru Duplex T1, Exo 5500 (newest model), and Stone Glacier Archer and Sky 7200 if you are interested in checking them out. Send a PM if interested.

If you have the means , order both , keep the one you like and return the other . To make it cheaper you could probably just order frame and belt then add a bag after you find out what frame feels best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This needs to be in bold print across this forum. No one can tell you want pack to order. Get the one that fits you best.

I have an exo 3500 and want to pu it on a duplex frame. Does it fit easily or did you do a lot of custom work to make it fit?
Thanks,
Mark

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you located in WV? I am near Wheeling. I have Kifaru Duplex T1, Exo 5500 (newest model), and Stone Glacier Archer and Sky 7200 if you are interested in checking them out. Send a PM if interested.

I am down close to charleston, probably 3 hours away. I appreciate your generosity.