Exo K2 and Kifaru Duplex Comparison and Review

dotman

WKR
I'm just going to point this out, because I get what you're throwing down Elk Nut, but when it comes to torso length, adjusting for a "heavy load" isn't going to be much more than an inch in my experience. I see why you do what you do, but changing the pack fit isn't something I'd personally choose to do. That said, for the sake of completeness:

- MR yoke can be adjusted in seconds, pull the yoke sheet and adjust the Velcro.
- the SG torso length can be adjusted in seconds, the straps just connect with Velcro.
- the Kuiu packs have an attachment system similar to the SG, can change torso length in seconds.
- I have never done this with a kifaru frame, so I have no idea how easy/hard that system is.

My point is, I get you love the Exo pack, but adjustable torso isn't exclusive enough to that system to merit the "exo has it figured out in their pack" compliment in the vain that no other company has actually figured that out. Not trying to be a jerk, just want to temper the bias I feel when I read comments like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kifaru can be adjusted super easy as well but elknut is the only one I have heard that does this. But then again elknut also said the Kifaru was only a good backpack pack good to 50lbs when he had one which I've also never heard anyone else say.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
Thanks for the write up, I've been looking at both as well. I would be interested in seeing how you mount the different bags to frames. What additional materials if any do you need etc,
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, I picked up the D3 4000" pack when the Bikini frame 1st came out, I packed a couple elk & deer with it trying to get it to perform to the task. No matter how hard I tried there was nothing I could do to get this pack to haul over 60# -- I was told it hinged to access frame but I could not figure it out even with Arons help over the phone, bottom line there is nothing easy about that feature in that model. It would be a very nice back pack but it wasn't designed as a meat hauler for heavier weights, there's no where to put quarters on that pack, the main bag would not open up large enough to put in a hind quarter on the bone, everything had to be boned out. It just wasn't an elk hunting pack. I'm sure Kifaru makes other models that would be great but personally I'm happy with the Exo & like its performance.

Here's two photos with that Kifaru pack loaded down with 1/2 an elk each, yes it's a load but we expect our packs to do the job as needed. Notice the load lifters are maxed & cannot handle the weight, it was a miserable pack out. Now look at myself with the Exo pack, it's the brown one, notice how much higher it rides, that's what you want in a good hauler that 2nds as a daypack or bivy style pack. This works great for us!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• Paul II 2013 Bull Color12.jpg
    Paul II 2013 Bull Color12.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Paul II 2013 Bull Color16.jpg
    Paul II 2013 Bull Color16.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 2016 Paul II Six Point Bull 16.jpg
    2016 Paul II Six Point Bull 16.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 233
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for the write up, I've been looking at both as well. I would be interested in seeing how you mount the different bags to frames. What additional materials if any do you need etc,
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Search for the frankenpack thread, which I posted my method to... which is really SHTF's method with some minor tweaks.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Good job on the write up. Itd be nice to see a colaboration between the two one day. From the personal experiences of multiple hunting buddies, its a hard choice between them.

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy ladies & gents. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading every post/thread i can find and watching video reviews and am to the point where i just need to ask a couple questions. I was set on buying the new k2 3500 until i happened to read a kifaru post that mentioned thier new duplex so i started researching that. Then i found the frankenpack thread and thought well this is the best of both worlds and am leaning that direction now. I was hoping for a little insite though. Here is my situation. 60% of the time is spent in daypack mode with 20#s or so. Shed hunting, scouting, and archery hunting day trips. Another 30% of the time im backpacking for fun or hunting with pack weights of 45-65#s (4-6 days). 10% of the time packing meat with 100# plus. I hike a fair amount (over 120 miles last year) but im pretty hefty, 6' 275#, with 43 in waist and a more curved back than normal. I have pretty big love handles and backpack belts/shoulder pads are usually pretty uncomfortable. I currently have and Eberlestock blue widow and x2, horn hunter frame, big 90L gregery and an osprey 58l ul pack. I would like sell all of these and consolidate into 1 do everything pack. Financially i cant buy both sets to try and send one back right now. Here are my questions:
Which belt/frame will be more comfortable for a big guy in those 3 situations, daypack, backpacking, meat hauling.
Will the extra height on the duplex's load lifters over the K2 make that that much difference while meat hauling (only 10% of usage)?
Will the K2 or duplex UL be comfortable with a more curved back or should i go with the bent stays in the hunter?
For anyone that has had hands on both, assuming the k2 has a score of 10 out of 10 for side to side torsion (moving with u as u bend, crouch, twist). What would the duplex hunter and UL score?
Can the exo 1500 horn hauler be attached to the duplex both with and without the 3500?
At this point i am leaning towards duplex hunter (plus carbon arrows)with exo 3500 & possibly their 1500HH down the road. This combo seems like it would get me from pretty lightweight daypack (4lb, 6oz, 1500 ci)through a 7+ day monster and meat hauler (7 1/2 lbs and over 6000 ci) and get me a great option while shed hunting. But if the duplex isn't much of and improvement over the k2 for my situation I might just go all exo.
Thank you everyone who has contributed to these discussions, i have learned so much!

twall13

WKR
Howdy ladies & gents. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading every post/thread i can find and watching video reviews and am to the point where i just need to ask a couple questions. I was set on buying the new k2 3500 until i happened to read a kifaru post that mentioned thier new duplex so i started researching that. Then i found the frankenpack thread and thought well this is the best of both worlds and am leaning that direction now. I was hoping for a little insite though. Here is my situation. 60% of the time is spent in daypack mode with 20#s or so. Shed hunting, scouting, and archery hunting day trips. Another 30% of the time im backpacking for fun or hunting with pack weights of 45-65#s (4-6 days). 10% of the time packing meat with 100# plus. I hike a fair amount (over 120 miles last year) but im pretty hefty, 6' 275#, with 43 in waist and a more curved back than normal. I have pretty big love handles and backpack belts/shoulder pads are usually pretty uncomfortable.

I personally recommend one over the other depending on the needs of the individual. Go with the Kifaru if you have a long torso (20" or greater), if you pack a lot of heavy loads, or if you need to fit an odd back shape. Go with the Exo frame if you have a shorter torso and want the frame to move with you for most loads. To me it sounds like you might be better off with a Kifaru, but not the ultra light frame. If you back is curved more than most I'd go with the Kifaru with aluminum stays that can be custom fit to your back. Yes it will weigh more, but I can guarantee you will feel more pain from a pack that doesn't fit you properly far more than you'll notice an extra pound (or whatever it is) of weight from the pack itself. I feel like the Exo frame hauls weight well for most guys and it's probably what I would have stuck with if not for my long torso. As is, I currently run a Kifaru Hunter frame with Exo bags. I do prefer the Kifaru belt but I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds better than the Exo belt and I haven't tried the upgraded 2017 Exo belt for comparison.

Regarding your question on the Exo Horn Hauler, I don't have one so I haven't hooked it up to the Kifaru frame but with the extra connection points provided on the Kifaru Frame I would think it would go on fairly easily with some extra straps.

I've got a 2016 k2 3500 and a kifaru hunter duplex set up with an exo 5500 bag ala frankenpack thread. I have been meaning to continue To tweak the kifaru setup but I have yet to get it as comfortable as the k2 both hauling weight and light. The kifaru seems to want to slide down my back more with a load on it. For times when not hauling, I appreciate the gap and freedom of movement from the exo as I'm a sweaty SOB and don't need a pack touching my whole back to help me get soaked.

Hard to say what will feel better on a 43" waist.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great writeup, review, and pictures! Backpacks are tough because everyone's body is so different. We sure have some great options these days to find what works for us!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord