Exo K2 and Kifaru Duplex Comparison and Review

TheCougar

WKR
Gents,
This is going to be a long detailed review and comparison of the Exo K2 frame and the Kifaru Hunting Duplex, so grab a cup of coffee and have a seat. I’m also including a lot of pictures for those who need periodic breaks from reading. I also ordered the Exo 5500 and 2000 bags to mount on either a Kifaru or Exo frame. In a few days I will follow this up by adding to SHTF’s Frankenpack thread (Exo bag on Kifaru frame) since I took a bit of a different approach for mounting my bags to the Duplex frame. You can find this thread by searching “Franken”.

This was my first “handmade” high quality pack purchase, so I listened to the smart guys on Rokslide and bought both frames to try both and return the one I didn’t want. I will tell you that this is great advice. You pay $25 out of pocket for return shipping, but you have the benefit of KNOWING that you are getting the right pack for you.

I am 5’11”+ and about 190lbs with an athletic build, 31” waist and normal torso length. I ordered an Exo K2 frame and a 26” Hunting Duplex frame with normal contour carbon fiber/plywood stays. I got small belts for both packs based on measurements.
Both packs were delivered quickly and the box contained everything that was ordered. The Exo box had a handwritten note from the Exo folks welcoming me as a new customer. I won’t go into a review of the 2000/5500 bags here, but I got the 5500 and 2000 bags to mount on either a Kifaru or Exo frame and suffice it to say I am very happy with the quality, and the perfect blend of durability, functionality, and weight.

My initial visual impressions of the frames were that they looked remarkably similar in size, dimensions, and feel. The biggest differences in the frames: 1.75” difference in height, contoured frame stays versus straight profile of the K2, and the extra padding along the back of the Duplex. The width of both frames was nearly identical. I measured and weighed both frames and found both to be within an ounce of the advertised weight, the Exo coming in 8oz lighter than the Duplex. The K2 frame was right at 25” tall and the 26” Duplex frame was 26.75” tall. Hands-on, the K2 frame had an edge in “torsional flexibility”, which is frame twist near the waist belt area. Neither frame exhibited flex/bend along the length of the frame and both were vertically rigid. The build quality was excellent on both. I had read posts about how Kifaru frames are “heads and shoulders” above Exo (or anyone else for that matter) in build quality and craftsmanship because of differences in design/material. I found this statement to be untrue. The packs are both very high quality, but they are designed differently. The Exo uses both 1” and ¾” straps, has smaller buckles, a smaller weight belt strap, and less padding in the mid-back part of the frame. I’m assuming this is where the 8oz of weight savings come in. The Kifaru uses 1” straps (except for sternum strap), bigger buckles, larger waist belt strap, and more padding. In the same way Swaros and Leica differences in weight/design does not mean differences in quality, the Exo being designed smaller or lighter doesn’t mean lower quality; it simply means lighter and smaller, period. I think it warrants mention up front that you need to critically examine forum comments and decide if there is a bias for a certain company.

Below: 25” K2 on left and 26.75” Duplex on right

1.jpg

Below: Frame dimensions are very similar

2.jpg

3.jpg

Below: Notice difference in vertical contour profile.

4.jpg

Below: Difference in Sternum buckles

5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
PART 2

Below: belt buckles, Kifaru on left.

6.jpg

Lumbar pad and belt: The lumbar pads are both huge! The Exo is wider and the Kifaru is taller and they have similar thickness. The K2 has slightly softer cushion and is covered in a mix of the “stretchy” material they use on their bags and a non-slip surface. The Kifaru is a little firmer and covered completely in non-slip surface. The belts are similar height and thickness and the Exo small belt was slightly longer than the Kifaru belt. Differences in the padding material were imperceptible to me. The cuts of the belts are different; the Exo is a solid piece on the side and the Kifaru is cut and stitched to “cup” a bit and form around your hips. In the end, I think I liked the Kifaru “cup” a bit more and the contour seems to fit and hold better with heavy weight. The Exo uses a slightly narrower strap and buckle that attaches at the frame and doubles back on itself to the buckle. As a result, I liked the feel of the Exo belt strap wrapping around my entire waist/hips instead of just at one point. The tightening mechanics worked great, but in order to loosen the belt you need to unbuckle it first and then loosen the buckle. The Kifaru strap is .25” wider (I think) and attaches at a single point on the tension lock near the tip of the hip belt padding. I found this put more pressure directly under the tension lock, near the front of the hip belt. (FITMENT: I have a 30-31” waist and the small belt was too small and the tension locks were directly over my hip bone point, which created hot spots. I exchanged it for the “smedium” which was much better.) The tightening mechanics work great and the tension locks allow you to loosen the belt tension without unbuckling the belt. Lastly, I preferred the Exo belt for accessory attachment. The Exo belt has a Velcro belt on the strap that enables you to attach any “belt loop” item such as a knife, holster, bear spray, etc. I LOVE this feature and I really dislike the PALS on the Kifaru. Kifaru should offer the Tactical belt with the PALS and the Hunting belt with a belt mechanism. I’m in the military and I hunt, but none of my hunting gear attaches to PALS without extra money, weight, or zip ties and duct tape. PALS is great for mil-spec attachment, but is sucks for just about anything else. I’m in the middle of trying to figure out a cheap, light, DIY attachment for my belt holster and belt-loop knife sheath that I can put on/take off easily from the duplex belt. Overall, I liked the fit of the Kifaru belt a bit more for comfort and heavy load ride and I really liked the Exo belt attachment system way more.

Below: Belt thickness (Exo is on right)

8.jpg

Below: Notice “cupping” on Kifaru belt on bottom.

9.jpg

Below: Length and width (Kifaru is on bottom).

10.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
PART 3

FITMENT: Exo Small belt at 20lbs pack weight, just barely going past my hips.

11.jpg

FITMENT: Kifaru Small belt at 20lbs, tension locks right on my hip bones.

12.jpg

FITMENT: Kifaru Smedium at 20 lbs, belt going past hip bones.

13.jpg

Shoulder straps: There was very little difference here. The Exo straps are wider, the straps are of the same thickness, and I didn’t notice any difference in padding material. The attachments, adjustments, and fitment were similar enough that I didn’t notice much difference.

Below: Shoulder strap thickness and width (Exo on left).

14.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
PART FOUR

Below: Shoulder strap thickness and width (Exo on left).

15.jpg

Pack adjustability: Belt adjustability edge goes to the Kifaru, simply because you can loosen the belt straps without undoing the buckle. The Exo edges out the Kifaru in shoulder adjustability simply because it is faster and easier to adjust the shoulder strap height than the Kifaru. Adjusting the Kifaru shoulder strap height is a bit of a process that involves removing the bag and part of the belt. The Kifaru frame gets the edge in load lifter adjustability because there are extra loop heights that enable you to lower the load-lifters below the top of the frame. The Kifaru frame allows you to remove and change/adjust the frame stays, which the Exo does not allow. In addition, the Kifaru has a few more attachment points than the Exo frame, which is nice but also adds to the weight of the pack. Pack adjust-ability edge goes to the Duplex.

Wearing the Pack: Now we get to the good stuff. I wore the packs empty, with 20-40lbs, and with 100lbs. This is where the packs started to be noticeably different. Going back to my visual inspection of the packs, the frame height, the contoured stays, and the Kifaru padding under the back ended up accounting for 90% of the difference in the way the packs felt and rode. The Exo pack is excellent under light loads such as day-hunting and overnights. The Exo frame breathes exceptionally well due to the flat vertical profile of the frame and less padding in the mid-torso area. It also lets you crouch, arch your back, and move your upper body more easily than the Kifaru. The Exo truly is a “forget it is there” frame due to the air movement and the way the frame allows you to move. The Kifaru frame is much less forgiving. Because of the contoured stays and the padding, there is constant contact with the frame and your back which limits airflow and movement. Basically, I felt like I was strapping a curved board to my back and it limited my ability to crouch, arch my back, etc. The Kifaru frame was exceptionally comfortable, but you never forgot it was there. Under light weight, the packs perform well. I preferred the Exo at loads up to 40lbs due to air movement and flexibility. Under heavier weight the Kifaru became the more comfortable pack. I attributed this to the same reasons that made it more obtrusive during lightweight testing. The curved stays and the padding along the spine give the impression of carrying the weight higher on your back than the Exo. During lightweight, the Kifaru is always there in contact with your back and when you add weight the Kifaru frame really pulls the weight into your hips and back and feels very sturdy and comfortable. I finally did a “packout” test, which SUCKS. The Kifaru won this test simply because of the load lifter height. The pack rode better under 100lb loads due to the reasons above, but the extra 1.75’ of lifter height really enabled the weight to ride on your hips and gave more options for carrying the weight. The Exo did well during this test also, but it sagged a bit more under the weight and the load lifters did not offer as much relief or adjust-ability as the Duplex.

Below: Kifaru load lifter height at 20lbs. The load lifters were about an inch lower (relative to my shoulder) at 100lbs testing.

16.jpg

Below: Exo load lifter height at 20lbs. The load lifters were about an inch lower (relative to my shoulder) at 100lbs testing.

17.jpg

Below: Kifaru frame and back contact. Notice constant contact with back. Notice PALS on belt.

18.jpg

Below: Exo frame. Notice space between lumbar curve and frame and belt tightening mechanism.

20.jpg

It was very difficult to make a final decision since there was no clear winner for me. I use my packs for 90% day-hunting and meat packing. I loved the Exo for lightweight and the Kifaru for heavyweight. In the end, I picked the Kifaru because of the load lifters and the double-edge sword of the contoured stays. If Exo had a 26” frame it very well may have edged out the Kifaru. If I could perfect the Exo frame, it would be with more of a curve and padding to the vertical contour, 26” height, and a cupped belt like the Duplex. If I were to perfect the Kifaru, I would use the Exo belt strap design for attachments and I would provide for movement flexibility in the frame and while wearing it. I plan on using the Duplex for a season or two and then reassessing and possibly swapping it out for an Exo frame. You cannot go wrong with either frame, you can only go “more right” by testing them out.
Finally, a shout out to both companies for outstanding customer service. When I returned my Exo frame, Steve asked me why I picked the different frame and we chatted about some of the differences and I sent him some pictures from my comparison. How often is it that the company owner is a hunter who designs gear for hunters and pulls information from customers to learn how to improve their products? Exo had a personal touch and they were very fast and friendly when I talked with them. Kifaru exchanged the “Smedium” belt and sent some complimentary webbing scraps for attaching my Exo bags to the Duplex frame and they were very helpful over the phone with exceptional customer service. Both companies offer military discounts and they make their packs in the USA. You’ll read this over and over on the forums, but you can’t go wrong with either company. Keep an open mind, try out at least two packs side-by-side, and open up your checkbook. I hope there is some information in here that informs and enables folks to make a good gear decision. Cheers! JW

Last edited:

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great write up. Probably the longest post I've read on here, but worth it!

daddie63

WKR
Appreciate the post and review. I'm trying to decide between the 2 frames myself so some very good info. Thanks again and enjoy.

twall13

WKR
I really appreciate the detail and time you put into this post. I own the 2015 Exo and love the bag but find the frame too short for me. I've been wanting to get the exact setup you have with the two Exo bags and the Kifaru frame. Your pictures and details really helped me out. I look forward to your ideas on how to attach the bag to the frame differently than what's already on the Frankenpack thread.

ianpadron

WKR
DUDE! That was one of the finer reviews I've read on here, and there are some good ones. Great info.

Kotaman

WKR
Great review. In my experience, I agree with everything you said. I've always said the Kifaru belt is what separates them from everyone else.

twall13

WKR
This review makes me wonder how the kifaru ultralight frame compares to the exo. I would think the flat frame with arrow stays would make the torsional rigidity similar to that of the exo while maintaining the benefit of the Kifaru belt and (for me) the taller frame. I've heard Aaron say it doesn't carry heavy loads as well as the duplex hunter frame but this review seems to show exactly why. Either way this has me totally convinced that I'm switching to a 26" Kifaru duplex hunter frame with my exo bags.

Thanks for the review, I'm going through something very similar in comparing a K2 with Medium belt and a 26" Hunter duplex with Small belt and aluminum stays. I didn't see if you are using composite or aluminum stays? I'm interested to see how you differ in mounting the Exo bag to kifaru frame.

I wear pants with a 33" waist and the small kifaru belt feels a little short to me, I also noticed pressure points on front of hips.

i love my original exo. with all the hype id be willing to order a hunting frame to pair with my exo bag for chits and giggles. curious........i will add i wish exo had a larger pack in there quiver. when hauling casches etc... into hunting grounds the 5500 becomes small. will probly never happen as it is not in there meathods i think. i do know when hauling heavy loads up i curse the size and how i feel like a gypsy with stuff latched to it trying to maximize my journey to stay light later.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for the review, I'm going through something very similar in comparing a K2 with Medium belt and a 26" Hunter duplex with Small belt and aluminum stays. I didn't see if you are using composite or aluminum stays? I'm interested to see how you differ in mounting the Exo bag to kifaru frame.

I wear pants with a 33" waist and the small kifaru belt feels a little short to me, I also noticed pressure points on front of hips.

Get a smedium or a medium. Sounds like the exact issue I had. They shipped it out the same day they received my belt. I am using the carbon stays with normal profile. Not sure about swapping to arrows. I might give it a shot.

Grumman

WKR
Great review, would love to see a similar one with the Stone Glacier in the mix and your thoughts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
JW, Really really good review and thanks for taking the time to do it. I'd also like to thank you for your service especially on this day honoring our veterans.

Randy

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, great review & thank you for your service!

I will add that I have packed some fairly heavy loads with the Kifaru Bikini frame, the original Exo & the new K2 frame. Loads up to 120# on these packs. For me the Exo wins out for comfort, ease of loading & ease of pack adjust-ability. When carrying loads in excess of 50# I like sliding down the pack on its adjustment from pack to frame. It can be adjusted aprox 6" up or down & anywhere in-between. It can be done in 30 seconds. Being able to move light or heavy loads in seconds is huge for us as we pack out loads for hours & miles. With over 140 loads of elk quarters packed out over the years this is the best pack I've had on my back.

ElkNut1

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yes sir, great review & thank you for your service!

I will add that I have packed some fairly heavy loads with the Kifaru Bikini frame, the original Exo & the new K2 frame. Loads up to 120# on these packs. For me the Exo wins out for comfort, ease of loading & ease of pack adjust-ability. When carrying loads in excess of 50# I like sliding down the pack on its adjustment from pack to frame. It can be adjusted aprox 6" up or down & anywhere in-between. It can be done in 30 seconds. Being able to move light or heavy loads in seconds is huge for us as we pack out loads for hours & miles. With over 140 loads of elk quarters packed out over the years this is the best pack I've had on my back.

ElkNut1

What do you mean, sliding the bag on the frame?

ElkNut1

WKR
I was referring to where you loosen the velcro back where the shoulder straps attach to frame. Once loose there is a hook on top of each shoulder pad/strap, that hook slips in a slot, you can select from 1" to 6" I believe. In day pack mode (under 25#) I have my hook & shoulder straps in top slot so my pack sits no higher than my neck, this makes it easy to negotiate brush & low hanging branches which is less likely to hang up on stuff. Once an elk is down I loose the velcro pad & slide the hook all the way down & this moves the pack/frame up on my back so 100# is no big deal. It rides high & is super comfortable with no fiddling around & is very fast to do. I don't like a pack that makes you feel the weight is pulling you back. That along with the Exo scissor/hinge design which puts meat directly on frame & leaves my main bag for anything I want other than meat. Their scissor design is as quick & easy to do as I've seen & used. Slick system!

ElkNut1