Woodsman/Reckoning Water Bladder

wyodan

WKR
Anybody thinking of having their pack modified to put the water bladder inside with a hose port? Who would you have do that work? I am going to give it a try where it is, but I can see using the load shelf where the bladder is right now being an issue for me. I hate to modify the pack, but I think with a minimal amount of work I can get it to where I believe these will both be the perfect pack for me.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Although I like a sleeve for my bladder, I am fine with just getting a tab to hook to and a port.

What??? There's no tab loop hook on the inside for a bladder? Only option is the outside hanging position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Dave at NT does excellent work. Used him several times and his work is outstanding.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
How do you contact Dave? I couldn't find him on google.

I just checked again. No hook inside & no hose port. It would take a mile of hose to get it out of the fold over lid.

gelton

WKR
What??? There's no tab loop hook on the inside for a bladder? Only option is the outside hanging position?

x2. Serious oversight or bad decision, that sucks. Was really wanting one of these but dont see myself taking the pack off the frame each time I need to fill up water.

ahlgringo

WKR
Not that I love the design, but- been playing around with mine- all you have to do is loosen or unclip two side straps and you have good access to the water bladder sleeve velcro. Its really not that big of a deal- depending on how much shit you have in your pack- maybe easier than internal replacement.

ljalberta

WKR
x2. Serious oversight or bad decision, that sucks. Was really wanting one of these but dont see myself taking the pack off the frame each time I need to fill up water.

Edit* ^^ beat me to it.

From the Kifaru video, it looks like the entire reason they went this route was to make it simpler to refill the bladder. It doesn't look like you have to remove the bag from the frame at all, just unsnap a couple side buckles and pull it out. No first hand experience with it on my end though.

I'd be more worried about compressing the heck out of the bladder sitting between the bag & frame. I know when I cinch my gear up in the bag and pull the side straps tight I can't imagine my bladder doing very well squished in there. Never tried it and could be very wrong though.

92xj

WKR
Aren't your compression straps on the outside of your bag, so wether your bladder is in the bag or between the bag and frame the compression straps will still be pulled tight across it.

JPD350

WKR
In my old T2 I would pack certain gear around the bladder to somewhat keep it from getting smashed but it still got hammered and I never had an issue.

I don't know yet if I will keep it there but I installed a long pocket that I had sitting around on the inside tabs and it looks like it would hold the water bag fine but there is still an issue with the hose, thinking about sewing a port somewhere if I decide to keep it there.

I also don't think I have an issue with it between the frame and bag since I have an inline adapter on my hose, I can just pump water into the bladder without removing anything but the end of my hose, the only reason I think I like the bladder in the bag is to pack gear strategically around it.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
In my old T2 I would pack certain gear around the bladder to somewhat keep it from getting smashed but it still got hammered and I never had an issue.

I don't know yet if I will keep it there but I installed a long pocket that I had sitting around on the inside tabs and it looks like it would hold the water bag fine but there is still an issue with the hose, thinking about sewing a port somewhere if I decide to keep it there.

I also don't think I have an issue with it between the frame and bag since I have an inline adapter on my hose, I can just pump water into the bladder without removing anything but the end of my hose, the only reason I think I like the bladder in the bag is to pack gear strategically around it.

He said it about. Perfectly... I'm going to run it on the outside for a while and see what I think then modify if necessary. The only thing I'm not too keen on is I rely on the sleeve to help hold the bladder up high enough in my t1, the tab in the argali allowed it to hang a little low so the pack felt slightly off ballance for me when loaded. Hopefully the velcro on the reckoning allows me to position it a small amount in addition to helping keep it from sliding side to side.

dotman

WKR
I figured every one used a quick connection and didn't remove water bladders anymore.

JPD350

WKR
After a little more thought I've come to the conclusion that my bladder will hang on the inside of the bag. I filled up my 4 liter MSR bladder which I didn't do before and hung it in both places, it is so big when full and the way the lid and hose comes off of the bladder it makes more sense to me to put it in the bag, partly because the pack sits flat against the frame which I prefer and I can manipulate the bladder easier as I pack gear inside. I cut a 10" piece of carbon arrow and put it through both loops inside the pack and the bladder hangs between the loops off of the arrow and I can still attach a chamber pocket there, it is no problem bringing the hose out of the top of the bag in day mode but when the pack is stuffed full it will need a port for sure.

With all of the emphasis of the Reckoning being versatile they really should have placed a hose port in the bag, IMO there should be a port in every bag no matter what! Even though it doesn't have a port yet I still think this pack is exactly what I wanted which is a good thing because I sold my T-2 before I put it up for sale

I do believe a smaller bladder and different hose design could work well outside of the bag but not my 4 ltr MSR dromelite.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
Here is what I made for the bladder holder, I wrapped some electrical tape on the ends to help keep the arrow from slipping out but after using it for a week I doubt the arrow would slip out without the elec tape and used some rubber bands to keep the bladder centered. I had my cold weather gear in the pack this trip so just to make sure there was no bladder failure I placed a lightweight waterproof bag over the bladder and clipped it over the arrow, it worked well enough that it will remain since generally I cannot risk getting dry gear wet ( I had a different bladder fail me once). filling up the bladder was easy and I didn't need to remove the arrow at all. The biggest issue I have is that there is no port for the hose.
20170102_105919.jpg

chasewild

WKR
If you were to cut/sew a port into the bag, where would you do it?

I'm facing the same dilemma. I contacted Kifaru and they said that the bladder between the bag and the frame makes no difference when carrying a load but that doesn't make sense given that the fabric of the pack is taught against the bladder and not against the frame. IN other words, the entire load is focused against the bladder and not evenly throughout the frame (via the fabric).