What I don't bring on a backpack hunt anymore!

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
What I don't take on a backpack hunt any more?

City boys and flatlanders

Hey, I'm both those things. My hunting buddies, though, will just plain sit down and say "no more", on a hike in here in Georgia. I'd shore be hurtin in the Rockies

What I don't take on a backpack hunt any more?

City boys and flatlanders

haha yup! 95% won't make the team.

However I can't say for sure that I will eliminate any of my gear for sure. I have brought some stupid things and will continue to because sometimes its worth it to carry the extra weight. Honestly I couldn't tell the diff if my pack weighs 40lbs or 45. It's like " dammit..... why is this so heavy?..... Oh well I'll do it anyway". Must be because I am under 30. For example every trip I pack in a large bottle of El Yucateco hot sauce and 12oz of wild turkey. Do I NEED it? NO. Is it heavy? YES. At the end of the day back at camp was it worth it to pack it in? EVERYTIME

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Dropping the compound bow and carring the longbow. Should drop about 7 lbs. No more range finder, release, wrenches, bow press, just a spare string.

Rucker61

WKR
Manscaping?

Nope, just keeping my clean cut appearance. With a lightweight titanium cup and my Jetboil, I have a double boiler system for melting the wax should I require a mid-hunt touchup. You have to add in the weight of a mirror or have a really helpful hunting partner if you want to save that weight.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mine stay in my pack when my pack is not exceeding 50#

Ya, I've switched back and started taking the trekking poles again. Very nice for heavy packouts, and my knees aren't what they used to be. I also finally got accustomed to the Havalon so I leave the sharpener at home as well, but I still can't ditch my fixed blade knife. It's light so no big deal.

diesel7

Banned
Dam, I’m glad I have horses for my extended hunts! The only thing I can’t take is beer!!! I need one more horse for that. But I still pack extremely light, for having horses. I usually take 1 pack horse for me and my dad, the rest of my gear goes in my pack and saddle bags. If I was doing it like you guys on foot, I would still carry a pistol and my trusty knife! And it’s usually mountain house for food, and instant coffee! We take in a couple steaks for the first night or two.

Man I got a lot to read threw this thread.. I'm a newb. Just picked up a exo mountain 2000 with lid for 2 day one night trips in the national Forrest chasing hog. So I'm figuring out what I need and don't need. This thread will help a lot

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

cranger1

FNG
Do you tend to use a day pack or multi-day pack to fit your gear. I’ve looked at the SG solo 3300 and found some good articles, but wondering if a smaller pack is better for long day hunts and the occasional multi-day hunt.

tttoadman

WKR
Do you tend to use a day pack or multi-day pack to fit your gear. I’ve looked at the SG solo 3300 and found some good articles, but wondering if a smaller pack is better for long day hunts and the occasional multi-day hunt.
I ran the Solo 3300 for the first couple years with dry bags on the sides to make it on long hunts. I have since moved on to bigger bags. Unless you are a gear junky who just loves to mix things up, buy what you think is the best pack for you around 6000CI and smash it down in hunt mode. You will appreciate the bigger bag. I have a SG Terminus bag and Kifaru mt Warrior. Either one will take me all in for a 10 day hunt, but compress down nicely in hunt mode. I have the kifaru grabit on both. It helps take a bulky item or 2 out of the bag. The classifieds will be filling up soon as people are looking to try something different for 2019. Go to the FNG section and tell a little about what you do.