Reckoning loaded @ 5 days

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, I've gotten a few PM's on loading up the Reckoning to get an idea on size. So I loaded mine up this evening with the equivalent to about 5 days. I also used a later season type sleep system that was a little bulkier. The bag got stuffed up to the snow collar, but I could have stuffed it a bit tighter. Camera gear was in the lid with some room to spare. Medium belt pockets on the side.. one pretty full with a pair of gloves, beanie and neck gaiter. The other had my in reach and steripen in it, and I've been putting a couple protein bars in there as well. I have the lid hooked up with k clips so no expansion on the frame side, but as you can tell I'd need a bit more gear to really need the expansion.

Sleeping bag is a kifaru slick 0 degree and tent is hilleberg Soulo. Hope this helps.

33a14a1a42764de49a1e50b742c514eb.jpg
9dac0a79d0f1302eb3521285beec717d.jpg
6c95020ec935ee71782bb3180e884949.jpg
64e8201f244749ad63c92f9163cdda14.jpg
5a6f3693568ba46b5a71ff60323dabcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the images, I'm debating on picking up the Reckoning. What's the loaded weight of that pack?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the images, I'm debating on picking up the Reckoning. What's the loaded weight of that pack?

Honestly couldn't tell you the exact weight, I just put a kit together quickly to show how it looked. I'm guessing it's around 45 right now with the camera gear and no water.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish my food for 5 days looked like that!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's an extra large pullout stuffed with mountain house right now, but I did get 5 days in it this fall. I vacu sealed all of the dinners to save space too, plus I just don't need as much food as you boys do :)

I just watched you're video on youtube earlier today. So far, what are you're favorite features about the pack? Also, what do you maybe like better about other comparable packs that you have used?
Right now, the Apollo on a 24" frame is my only Kifaru rig. I'm 85% sure the Reckoning will be my choice for a multi day pack. I considered an Argali or Markhor, but I don't know if I could live without the center zipper that I have grown accustomed to with my Apollo. And on the Reckoning, the center zipper would be even more convenient than the Apollo because of the independent compression straps.

Thanks for posting the pics. Love the holster for the Glock. What tripod are you using and how does it handle the weight of the spotter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I also like the holster for the flock. Any chance we could get a picture of the back side of the holster to see how it attaches to the belt?

I would guess the holster is a JC custom Kydex from Instagram. He's kind if the go to guy for holsters on Kifaru packs.

I really like the wolf gray / typhon color combo.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched you're video on youtube earlier today. So far, what are you're favorite features about the pack? Also, what do you maybe like better about other comparable packs that you have used?
Right now, the Apollo on a 24" frame is my only Kifaru rig. I'm 85% sure the Reckoning will be my choice for a multi day pack. I considered an Argali or Markhor, but I don't know if I could live without the center zipper that I have grown accustomed to with my Apollo. And on the Reckoning, the center zipper would be even more convenient than the Apollo because of the independent compression straps.

I bought the pack because of the center zip and integrated side pockets, and those are still my favorite features. Being able to throw my spotter, tripod, glassing seat, etc. in them makes it super easy to grab them out quickly without really have to unbuckle any straps, just loosen them. Like you saw on the video, I can have everything I need for the day accessible without having to unbuckle anything. I previously ran the AMR and had it set up with a spotting scope pocket and guide lid. Although I really liked the sewn in pockets on the back of the bag, I can run the 2 belt pockets on the reckoning and get the same use from them. Then the spotting scope pocket worked well on the AMR, but I like these longer integrated pockets better. They keep anything you put in them fairly protected and you can stuff a lot of stuff in each of them if need be, and if not they fold nice and flat. The center zip is a close second to the pockets for my favorite feature, mostly for day mode but still nice when it's loaded up. With my AMR I would stuff clothes in the snow collar underneath the lid, which worked just fine but you had to unbuckle the lid to pull extra layers out. With the center zip I don't have to unbuckle anything, just unzip from the bottom and throw in or pull out anything that I need. I've already recognized how much quicker it makes things. We'll see what I think as I use it more this spring, but so far it has been the perfect bag for me.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, is it possible to use a standard lid on the reckoning?

I'm 99.9% sure that you can. It has the same attachment points as the guide lid I believe, so it will still be attachable to all of the bags for the duplex frame.

Also, I'm sure you've seen this, but the reckoning does have an integrated fold over lid.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the pics. Love the holster for the Glock. What tripod are you using and how does it handle the weight of the spotter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently using the Slik 634. I've also had the 624 which is shorter and lighter but for video I wanted to have the extra height. It handles my spotter super well, and I attach my DSLR to the spotting scope for video and pictures a lot and it still handles pretty well.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where are you putting your water?

I usually just run a couple nalgene bottles and a steripen or filter, but you can hang your water bladder between the bag and frame. Which the little that I run a bladder, that is how I will do it. I usually also bring an empty MSR drom lite bag for water if I camp high away from any source. Just drop that in the bag at the last place I can get water then leave it at camp during the day.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like the holster for the flock. Any chance we could get a picture of the back side of the holster to see how it attaches to the belt?

Here's a couple pictures of it. He uses malice clips so they just clip right on the webbing. It's pretty comfortable and I've never had the pistol feel or look like it had moved at all out of the holster. It is from Jim Carey of JC Custom Kydex.

add93e1ce7a7d38cf70c281e87fe61c8.jpg
ce2d22d93435418afd2699e66c6dbf27.jpg

Akicita

WKR

Here is another holster solution for molle that's a little more low profile than Jordan's although Jordan's would make for faster donning and doffing. Made from Kydex and secured to holster with Chicago screws.

Akicita%20Holster_zpsbjaj6jnz.jpg

JPD350

WKR
Thanks Jordan for taking the time to post how you're using your pack, it's an awesome pack!

I agree with your day pack assessment, it is super easy to work out of in day mode and the options are many, I just used my reckoning pack for the first time in day mode for 9 days and couldn't be happier, the zipper access and the separate compression straps are my favorite things so far. I cinched down the side pockets and worked out of the center part of the bag, it was easy to put the scope and tripod in the center of the bag, the scope went on one side of the water bladder and the tripod on the other side or I just strapped them outside of the bag when I didn't want to take the scope off of the tripod, I have a pocket on the bottom that the scope sat in.
sorry, I couldn't get the pic to rotate.

Attachments

• 20170107_101649.jpg
    20170107_101649.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 253

kodiakfly

WKR
I have an EMRII now and in day pack mode, I fold the center in and run the side pockets on top and work out of those. Will the Reckoning fold inward like that and leave the side pockets on top, or is it meant for the side pockets to lay flat and work out of the center? Maybe a silly question, but just curious about day pack options.

Great post btw! Thanks.

Dammit. This f%€£¥g thread just cost me $300 bucks. Reckoning ordered. Thanks a lot Obama.