SG Sky 5900 vs Sky Talus 6900

Tex68w

WKR
So I have narrowed down my pack search to these two. The Sky 5900 is their newest pack that just replaced the 5100 and it looks awesome but to be honest I think I am leaning towards the 6900 simply due to the pocket layout. I like the idea of carrying my spotter in the left side exterior pocket on the 6900 and then running my rifle on the right side with their sling/harness. I could then put my tripod in the right side exterior pocket or cinch it down anywhere on the pack with the compression straps for that matter. The 5900 would force me to put my spotter inside of the main center zip but both would require me to loosen the compression straps so in terms of speed of access to the spotter it'd be about the same. I could add the spotter pocket to the left side of the 5900 but the addition of that would make the overall cost of the 5900 with the pocket more than the 6900 bag by itself. The only positive to this is that I can run the spotter pocket outside of the compression straps and make it accessible without having to undo the compression straps making it ultimately easier/faster. The idea of the 6900 is that I don't have to access the main compartment where the rest of my gear is or take up that precious space with the spotter. The 6900 actually compresses down into a smaller pack in bivy mode than the 5900 but the 5900 is 1/2 pound lighter which is nice. I will definitely be getting the new XCurve frame as well.

Any thoughts between this? Am I making too much of a big deal about the spotter or the main compartment space being compromised on the 5900 because of the spotter? Is the center zip design of the 5900 a better lay out than the side pockets of the 6900?

Last edited:

mmw194287

WKR
Something to consider is the size of your spotter. The side pockets on the side of the 6900 are a tighter fit than the accessory spotting scope pouch.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Good to know! I have a Vortex Razor HD 22-48x65 Angled, it's 14.8" long but it's angled so it will need more room than a comparably sized straight spotter. The SG Spotting Scope Pocket is 18" long so it'll be more than enough room, I am just not sure how the side pocket on the 6900 compares in size?!

Last edited:

Tope

FNG
I have the same spotter and it fits in my 6900 just fine. I wouldn't want to go much larger with an angled spotter though.

sr80

WKR
a vortex 65mm straight does not fit into the side pockets on a talus 6900. But its perfectly fine just inside the main center zip, with a full pack or in day pack

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
a vortex 65mm straight does not fit into the side pockets on a talus 6900. But its perfectly fine just inside the main center zip, with a full pack or in day pack

If that's the case then I'd be better off going with the 5900.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
After much deliberation I ordered the Sky 5900 yesterday. I plan to run my spotter in the front, center zip pocket along with my rain gear.

After much deliberation I ordered the Sky 5900 yesterday. I plan to run my spotter in the front, center zip pocket along with my rain gear.

I made the same decision. The deciding factor for myself was the width of the bags. I figured if I am going to change things up from my MR 6500 I might as well make a big change and go with something that is more streamlined and lighter. I was not a huge fan of the load shelf idea with the metcalf so time will tell how it works out with the SG.

I made the same decision. The deciding factor for myself was the width of the bags. I figured if I am going to change things up from my MR 6500 I might as well make a big change and go with something that is more streamlined and lighter. I was not a huge fan of the load shelf idea with the metcalf so time will tell how it works out with the SG.

Todd, I HATED the load shelf deal. Stone glacier has the best iteration of it I've seen, and the way their straps are set up, they provide the most compression and support of any pack I've used. With that said I wouldn't fill the entire 5900 ci to the brim and still use the shelf.
I unfortunately have yet to give an animal a ride in it, but it's more comfortable with 80 lbs of cornmeal in it then my kifaru bikini was with my last blacktail and camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR

Good choice, it wasn't an easy one for myself but I figured if I end up not liking the layout with my gear then I can always return/exchange it for the 6900. One of the biggest selling points on SG over MR and Kifaru for myself was the load shelf design and how streamlined and simplistic their designs are.

The SG load shelf just flat out works and works very well IMO. I've never liked the idea of carrying the game meat in my bag (although I did it a fair amount with my old DT1), and I have never owned a pack with a load shelf until I purchased a SG. So far I've been fortunate enough to haul several blacktail (5 I think), and 2 mountain goats in it, with half of one goat and my entire camp in a single load. I can't really say that I enjoyed that pack out, but I don't think that it would have been any more enjoyable using a different pack, and definitely not if I was using my DT1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmw194287

WKR
As far as the width of the 6900 goes, so long as you fill the "wings" with soft goods like raingear, pack cover, puffy, hat and gloves, empty reserve bladders, etc., they'll compress down flat and you won't feel any wider than you would without them.

Just looking for an update on how you like the 5900, I am having the same dilemma myself have been using my brothers 6900 for the past 2 weeks in training but would love to hear from someone on what they think of the layout of the 5900.

Cheers,

Brian

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Soooooo,
I too am having the same dilemma
Any feedback from those that have now purchased the 5900?

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
Soooooo,
I too am having the same dilemma
Any feedback from those that have now purchased the 5900?

My 5900 just arrived today, I was debating the same thing. I can let you know after I mess around with the pack tonight.

bmart2622

WKR
The layout of the 5900 is great. Its my favorite bag and Ive tried Eberlestock, Badlands, Kuiu x2, Exo, SG Solo, and Kifaru x4. The front pocket allows quick easy access to stuff you grab often and the horse shoe zipper of the main bag makes it easy to load. I run a camp pocket inside the main bag which helps to keep items from bunching up in the bottom of the bag. The lid fits the bag well whether in bivy mode or fully loaded. I have never handled the 6900 so I cant comment on how the 2 will compare. I really dont see how you wouldnt like the layout of the 5900 unless you just need more capacity than it offers.

R_burg

WKR
6900 gets very compact in bivy mode, so I wouldn't worry that its going to be too big. I'm happy I went with the 6900.

My only regret is I bought it 3 months ago. Now they seemingly are sold everywhere under the sun and I could have saved money by waiting, lol. I didn't expect Kurt's bags to all of sudden be sold on 10 different e-commerce sites.

But I love the bag and I'm very glad I bought it.