Exo K2 - 2000 vs 3500

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
After researching my pack options I have decided that I want an EXO. Now I can't decide on size. It seems that both the 2000 and 3500 are much larger than what they are rated for. I don't ever pack in a camp and only need a day pack that can handle a bow, spotter, tripod, and gear/food for mule deer day hunts. I am leaning toward the 2000 but the weight difference between both sizes is minimal and the 3500 seems to compress down to nothing. Does anyone have the 2000 that can shed some light on this?

Hunter6

WKR
I would go with the 2000 for day hunting. If you get the 3500 you will pack more stuff. Then if you ever get the itch to backing in you can get the 5000.

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a SG Avail which is 2200- I can't imagine too many day hunting scenarios where I would need more room; my daypack even includes a lwt Climashield quilt, bivy and tarp just in case a night out is called for (along w/ extra clothing, spotting scope, tripod, etc)

if you are thinking about hauling meat in addition to you day hunting kit, obviously that changes things

twall13

WKR
I'd personally get the 2000. That said it really comes down to the layout you prefer. As you said, the weights are similar and that's because the 2000 has more features. I own a 3500 and love it but plan on selling it and getting a 2000 and a 5500 for a more versatile setup. If you don't need the extra space of the 3500 get the 2000.

LostArra

WKR
I have a 3500 purchased before the 2000 came out.
Exo definitely understates their capacity. While I primarily use it for day hunting and packing meat I have used more of the available pack space on some really foul weather days that had wide temperature swings.
Most packs will "compress down" for day hunting use but I really like how Exo accomplishes this. It does not feel like a cinched and squished big pack with straps everywhere when in day hunt mode.
Any pack can be compressed but some just do it better than others.

That said, the 2000 would probably be a good fit for most day use but I have no plans to change.

OP
M

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Would the meat shelf/loading be equal on both sizes? I do not plan on putting meat in the bag, shelf only

LostArra

WKR
Would the meat shelf/loading be equal on both sizes? I do not plan on putting meat in the bag, shelf only

I'm guessing but I would think the shelf would be the same. The 3500 "might" provide a bigger compression panel against the meat but I don't know.

The loading is simple after you have done it one time and since I can't carry mammoth loads I get plenty of experience with multiple loads.

Stickinit

FNG
You need to buy the new Crib load panel to use it as a meat shelf for the Exo. The panel attaches to the frame, so it doesn't matter which bag you use.

LostArra

WKR
You need to buy the new Crib load panel to use it as a meat shelf for the Exo. The panel attaches to the frame, so it doesn't matter which bag you use.

Thanks for the updated info. I've got the original meat shelf without any load panel. That crib looks pretty versatile.

twall13

WKR
While this statement is true, you don't actually need a "meat shelf" to haul meat with the exo packs. You can put the meat between the bag and frame and not use a "meat shelf" to get the job done. The Crib will keep the meat a little higher on your back so it may ride a bit better but it's not technically necessary. I wouldn't think the bag size would effect the meat hauling capacity regardless of weather or not you use the crib or just sandwich it between the pack and frame. That said, I do think the crib is a handy add on and plan on getting one this year. I just wanted to point out it isn't technically necessary.

After researching my pack options I have decided that I want an EXO. Now I can't decide on size. It seems that both the 2000 and 3500 are much larger than what they are rated for. I don't ever pack in a camp and only need a day pack that can handle a bow, spotter, tripod, and gear/food for mule deer day hunts. I am leaning toward the 2000 but the weight difference between both sizes is minimal and the 3500 seems to compress down to nothing. Does anyone have the 2000 that can shed some light on this?

With the crib. You aren't really restricted much. I did five days out of 2000 this year. Just used load self for heavier stuff via stuff sacks. I prefer the access zipper if the 2k over the 3500

LostArra

WKR
Muley: if you think you might ever want a lid for the 2000 I would buy it with the pack (I personally like the lid space).
Exo hits you for $20 shipping to send the $35 lid separately. If it was shipped for a reasonable price I would probably get an updated lid.

Xtreme007

WKR
I love my exo pack. I run a exo 2000 for my dayhunts and have plenty of room. Also have the 5500 bag for when I pack in and set camp up.

I think you will be fine with the 2000 for dayhunts. If you ever do need a little bit more room like others have said you can use the load shelf.

Go 2000 and order the crib. Definitely order some belt pouches. I would then add a 5500 for longer trips.

OP
M

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of ordering it with 2 belt pouches, lid and probably the crib. Just wondering how much better the crib makes hauling meat out opposed to not having it. Any opinions on this?

Xtreme007

WKR
The crib just gets the load up a bit higher from bottom of frame. It's is a nice feature but the exo will work great either way. I have carried meat both with and without crib. Both ways the pack carries weight well

I don't like a belt pouch in my bow hand side. Drives me nuts. I still bought two I just carry one in the pack.

I've also only packed out with bone in elk qtrs and just the beaver tail and/or pack worked great. With a lump of boneless meat I'd venture that the crib would work best.

The 2000 is an AWESOME pack bag. The Crib is a must as well. Works great for the Kifaru duplex as well. Much better than the Kifaru Grab-it.