Kelty Cache Hauler bag options

balto68

FNG
I have a Kelty Cache Hauler that I unreasonably love, but I do wish I had a packbag for it. I'm not really a dry bag or duffel bag kind of guy - I would like something with at least a small amount of organization. The packbag originally made for the Cache Hauler is no longer available, and it was pretty small anyway. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not a Cabela's Alaskan pack bag would be compatible with the Kelty. I figured I could find one on ebay, but I'd rather not just buy a whole pack to experiment with the bag if it might not even work.

Otherwise, I've been thinking about having something put together. Any suggestions for a source for ordering a pack bag that would fit the Cache Hauler?

I get that it's kind of silly to be looking for fancy accessories for a $100 frame pack, but I figured since it fits me and is the most comfortable pack for me with heavy loads, I might as well stick with it.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be curious to see suggestions too. I like the thought of the Cache Hauler. With the way it is set up you could almost get any bag that you like the organizational layout of and strap it onto the Kelty and use it as a lighter, detachable pack.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the cache hauler for myself years ago and another kelty for my boy. I took off his pack bag and the frames were identical. Guess what I'm saying is kelty makes a perfect pack bag for that frame. For a few years I used a Barneys Pinnacle bag on my cache hauler frame. Worked great. 97% compatibility.

bpctcb

WKR
balto68 post up your frame dimensions. Maybe someone can compare sizes for you.

I just attached a Camelbak Commander to my Kifaru Hunter frame and I love the setup. Don't be afraid to play around!

BP

I've been running a dry bag on mine, and rigged my mystery ranch lid to top it off...haha...Looks awesome...

I've been thinking of the same thing you are. A thought I had was to sew up a nomad-like bag for the frame. The way that the frame/wings are, the nomad setup seems like a natural choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried any bags on the frame yet. I have been looking at getting this frame and have also been trying to figure out what bag to use. I may try a large alice (mountain ruc) bag to start and see how it works.

I just picked up a HPG terra pocket with the horizontal straps and it works great as a compression panel and a little bit (daypack amount) of gear. I was looking for something larger as well, but for this year, a dry bag and the terra are going to get a shot.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever find a suitable bag option. I'm almost in the same boat. I like the Kelty Cache frame I have, but don't have the bag for it. Wish I bought it when I bought the frame, I saw several selling for like $60. Been meaning to see if my Alice bag will fit it. I think the Alice frame is a little narrower though. So the bag may not work on the Kelty. I'll let you know.

I did rig up some female buckles, attached to a small piece of webbing, which I then punched a hole through and secured to the frame, using the frames top pins. That allowed me to secure a lid. I assume you could use the same idea to get most bags to fit.

tttoadman

WKR
Replace the hoop at the top with one that is narrowed up so Kifaru or Exo bag slips over it. You could easily make it a little more funky to pick up the 2 slots in a SG bag. Get the top on nice, and the bottom is easy.

You could have somebody waterjet or lazer cut a pc of 6061 aluminum to any shape you want and actually include provisions to hook lid straps to. Grind the radius on the "pokes" to go down in the frame, and you are set. I think you would want to design a shoulder type feature where it bears on the top so it can bear the weight onto the main tubes squarely at the top. If you don't, it might try to split those upper frame tubes. Get a nice bag that you like, and then pick up a dedicated frame off the classifieds later if needed.

Just a tidbit for Kelty and Cabelas frame guys. Carry a couple small steel bolts with nylok nuts in your pack. If any of those aluminum pins shear, you have a quick replacement that is better than original and beats a scabrication of paracord. Not that that's ever happened to me:(

I got rid of the shelf bar on my frame like this and just run the bottom panel like a grabit. We did this to a camp trails and a cabelas guide frame. It would likely be simpler to can all that mechanics and just rig up a grabit II and have a much more streamlined and lighter package.