MR Pintler vs. 14'er vs. exo 2000 Questions

Agustus

FNG
Morning guys,

Been debating a new pack for a while and wondering the opinions of the 3 packs mentioned for my use....

This will predominately be a whitetail pack which will have harness, essentials, and possibly a lone wolf strapped to it. I presently use a kifaru x-ray over a lone wolf stand for my day pack/whitetail needs and carry the lone wolf with molle shoulder harness. It's worked great but could use a little more room. I was set to order a 14'er or EXO 2000, but now considering the pintler as well. Basically the same price for the 3 and all pretty similar in size.

My problem.... I'm 6'6". I don't expect the same type of lift that others would get. I've had a gen 2 late season that just didn't get used much and have a mystery ranch 3dap as well that I basically carry as edc for work.

Any advice as to which you chose, or think would work for my needs would be great. I've read and googled pics to death and I think I'm more confused now than when I started!

Many thanks,
Rick

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking forward to the responses to this as well. I have no EXO experience but I have a 14'r that I love,and have run a MR similar to the Pintler on a NICE Frame with an overload shelf. With the new Guide Lite Frame you may be able to get the lift you need, and the MR packs are definitely durable. I'm 5'11 and the 14'r's lift is just enough for me so it might not offer you much. The Pintler has the load shelf which could really come in handy if you don't want to pack stands or meat in the pack. The 14'r doesn't offer that. Kifaru has other offerings that do though, but at a price. Happy Shopping.

First....I have no personal stake in what pack you select, so I'll just offer some knowledge on the Pintler I own.

It's a very 'tight' solid pack on a straight frame...the Guide Light. The tri-zip design is a favorite of mine due to fast access anywhere in the bag. The zippers are quiet, too. There is plenty of capacity for my gear to hunt all day and then some. I would think load-lifters are not a very big need in regards to a whitetail pack...thinking most distances will be relatively short. If you order a Pintler you should check sizing carefully because they do offer bigger (longer) yokes for larger men.

As for carrying a treestand, I can see some options. The pack has exterior compression straps which you could use to hold the stand against the outside of the pack. There are also 2 daisy chains of vertical webbing which you could strap or tie the stand to. Lastly, you could place the stand between the pack bag and frame, using the bag to sandwich the stand for carrying. This would be my last option simply due to time and speed, but it could be the best option if you need to go far or carry lots of extra gear in the pack along with a stand.

With the Pintler you've got a pack that can go from the deer woods to elk country to Alaska and do it quite well. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what is said about the other packs you're considering. Good luck.

i used to use the molle straps on my summit but when i switched to a lone wolf handclimber i found it much more convenient to ditch the straps on the stand and carry it on my pack. i started out loading it in the meat shelf on a stone glacier and that worked well but then i bought a spike camp and found it could easily be carried with a grab-it on the back of the pack. when i get to my tree i don't have to mess around with getting it out of the load shelf and putting the pack back together. i can just pull it out of the grab-it and put it on the tree. i replace my bow in the grab-it and go up the tree with everything at once. i sold my spike camp and bought a 14'r and plan on running it the same way next season.

here's a pic of the lone wolf riding in the grab-it on a spike camp. the bulk of the pack contents is extra layers so it compresses down nicely and the stand isn't to far off your back.

IMG_20151227_124803456_zps5fjnrjlv_edit_1451241191683_zpshrewml4n.jpg

i'm 5'-11 and it's only 30# so lift wasn't a huge concern for me. i started out this year with a 26" duplex and cargo panel which is awesome for carrying stands and layers but found that i didn't want to use that setup any other time because it would get hung up when stalking/crawling in the thick stuff. i much prefer a shorter, heavy duty internal frame pack to the taller external frame and bag.

OP
A

Agustus

FNG
First....I have no personal stake in what pack you select, so I'll just offer some knowledge on the Pintler I own.

It's a very 'tight' solid pack on a straight frame...the Guide Light. The tri-zip design is a favorite of mine due to fast access anywhere in the bag. The zippers are quiet, too. There is plenty of capacity for my gear to hunt all day and then some. I would think load-lifters are not a very big need in regards to a whitetail pack...thinking most distances will be relatively short. If you order a Pintler you should check sizing carefully because they do offer bigger (longer) yokes for larger men.

As for carrying a treestand, I can see some options. The pack has exterior compression straps which you could use to hold the stand against the outside of the pack. There are also 2 daisy chains of vertical webbing which you could strap or tie the stand to. Lastly, you could place the stand between the pack bag and frame, using the bag to sandwich the stand for carrying. This would be my last option simply due to time and speed, but it could be the best option if you need to go far or carry lots of extra gear in the pack along with a stand.

With the Pintler you've got a pack that can go from the deer woods to elk country to Alaska and do it quite well. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what is said about the other packs you're considering. Good luck.

Since you have a pintler, does it feel like a "framed" pack or still have the feel of a daypack? I'm wondering because I don't want the pack to feel too much like a framed pack by being too rigid.... hope that makes sense.

Of the 3 I would say the pintler as it would be the best in carrying a tree stands. I've never used the pintler, but had a longbow and loved the bag more then any other, I hated the frame though.

You should take a look at the new SG avail. When not carrying a stand you could use the bag without the frame, but when heavy hauling is required you can throw it on the frame. The bag and frame use the same shoulder straps so you could literally carry whatever you need in, pull the bag and shoulder harness off the frame and have a dedicated daypack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deepshax

WKR
I run my lone wolf on my 14'r like ezmorningrebel with a grab it and lash strap, it works pretty well. unclick the two buckles and the stand is out. sometimes for am hunts close to the truck Ill just strap my bow to the bag and carry in the lone wolf so I dont even have to take the bag off or pull up my bow. I hated using the molle straps tied direct to the climber, I like this system much more. Plenty of room in the pack for all my winter layers/kill kit/ saw/trimmers/ etc

I run my whitetail set up just like ezmorningrebel. 14'er with a grab it and single lash strap. Works like a champ holding the treestand or bow and the perfect size and access for treestand hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I used to carry my stand and LW sticks with a Spike Camp and a cargo chair. The cargo chair worked great especially for bulky items.
I guess the cargo chair and maybe the SC have both been discontinued.
I sold the SC due to the small opening top access but still use the cargo chair on a Scout which also has been discontinued.
Maybe I'm the kiss of death to Kifaru items :)

I bet any of your choices would work fine for carrying a stand. I would base my decision on other pack features.

Since you have a pintler, does it feel like a "framed" pack or still have the feel of a daypack? I'm wondering because I don't want the pack to feel too much like a framed pack by being too rigid.... hope that makes sense.

When I'm hunting and carrying the Pintler I'm unaware of the frame completely. I find the Guide Light to have a large amount of torsional flexibility for twisting and navigating in cover or terrain. At the same time, the frame is vertically strong and easily able to handle weights above 100 pounds. The centered back pad isn't anything special to the eye, but I find it works better for me than split or dual L/R pads. Don't ask me why that is because I don't know. That single pad running over my spine makes for a very comfortable pack when loaded.

OP
A

Agustus

FNG
When I'm hunting and carrying the Pintler I'm unaware of the frame completely. I find the Guide Light to have a large amount of torsional flexibility for twisting and navigating in cover or terrain. At the same time, the frame is vertically strong and easily able to handle weights above 100 pounds. The centered back pad isn't anything special to the eye, but I find it works better for me than split or dual L/R pads. Don't ask me why that is because I don't know. That single pad running over my spine makes for a very comfortable pack when loaded.

Thanks! That's what I was worried about. I'm leaning heavily toward the 14'er and the Pinter at this point. I love the fact that you described the pintler as you did.

Seeing the 14'er carrying the tree stand strapped to it and the comments about how well it worked is making this a tough decision. I'm familiar with the tri-zip from my 3dap pack. Won't say it's my favorite way of getting in the pack but love the build quality of the pack, including the zippers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! That's what I was worried about. I'm leaning heavily toward the 14'er and the Pinter at this point. I love the fact that you described the pintler as you did.

Seeing the 14'er carrying the tree stand strapped to it and the comments about how well it worked is making this a tough decision. I'm familiar with the tri-zip from my 3dap pack. Won't say it's my favorite way of getting in the pack but love the build quality of the pack, including the zippers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
I've been using the Trizip feature for years on 3 different Mystery Ranch packs. It took some getting used to, but eventually I did get used to it. That said, I really like the vertical zipper on the 14'r more. I feel like I can lay the pack down and throw open that zipper and it pretty much stays together not letting items spill out. I usually have to spread it apart to reach in and get what I want, and i like that over the Trizip just falling open, especially if what you want is closer to the bottom of the pack. Others have expressed different opinions about this, but that is one thing I really like about the 14'r. I end up using the vertical zipper more than the top opening, whereas with the Mystery Ranch packs I would always go for the top, often having to open it a little to get the vertical zipper started. The Mystery Ranch system also has its merits, I'm sure. I actually just purchased another MR Trizip pack the other day.

I'll say that I like the Kifaru Grab-It concept. I might make one for my Pintler as I know it would work just fine.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
All the packs you have mentioned are great packs but I do think that the best one has yet to be mentioned in this thread. The Mystery Ranch Cabinet pack is probably their most versatile pack by far. It will carry virtually anything you could ever want to carry, especially treestands. It still has the same Guide Light frame as the Pintler but you get two load shelves. The main easy access one that doesn't involve undoing anything but a few buckles and it also has the same Overload shelf between the frame and bag that the rest of the Guide Light framed packs have.

Add a dry bag or one of MR's Speed Zip Haulers and it can be used for backpacking as well which is what I intend to do with mine. This pack can do it all besides maybe 7+ day backpack hunts you may need more space. You could use it for trapping by putting a 5 gal bucket or rectangular plastic trash can in it, haul stands, salt blocks, feed bags, shed hunting, the list goes on and on.

Here is mine loaded with my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, 20 degree down bag, Big Agnes Insulated Double Z pad, jacket, tripod, 65mm Razor spotter, stove, fuel, etc. Basically everything I need for a backpack hunt minus food and water. Plenty of room to spare for anything else I may need.

LostArra

WKR
I'll say that I like the Kifaru Grab-It concept. I might make one for my Pintler as I know it would work just fine.

MR used to have an "add on" Stick-It pocket similar to the Grab It. I wonder if it would work on the Pintler.

I bought a used 3DAP a while back and it has the removable Stick It. I don't think it's as handy as the built-in Stick It like the old MR Sweet Pea and MR Big Sky packs had but still useful.

OP
A

Agustus

FNG
I'd love to see the cabinet pic if you have it to see what you're talking about too....