The Kifaru Reckoning Experience

JPD350

WKR
Im going to shoot Kifaru a call and pick their brain, but I was wondering about some opinions on a couple things:

- Would I be stupid to skip the guide lid for now? My trips max out around 5-6 days so far. At 6000ci with the side pockets, I should have no issues having room for anything I am doing. I also would get a couple pockets because I want some some additional storage that is accessed outside the bag, plus I really like how they setup the bag with the pocket for your buttstock of your gun or a bow cam.... One on top of the lid, one on the bottom I was thinking.

I see JPD350's pics above and hes making it work, but he would not be able to strap a gun or bow to the bag, which I would like to do.

- I see the pics on here, but in person, is it nice when compressed? I have 2 bags now, and use my 3200 for day mode now with very little stuff in it and it works great... I appreciate the smaller bag. I sometimes feel larger bags, even if I can strap them tight to compress them get annoying with all the extra material and straps everywhere. They lose some functionality. Any insight? I was hoping to go down to 1 bag with this system.

- Any opinion on what pocket works best for the belt? That small pocket WoodsWalker is using looks great... How does a mini belt pouch compare. Not wondering about specs, but about functionality and any annoyances I wouldnt know without experience.

It looks like you are extending the top anyway... just not as high as you could with the guide lid. Do you know if this gets you more room than the 5000ci Kifaru specs the bag at?

Using or not using a lid on this pack isn't a bad decision either way, there is a bunch of room and after you drop your camp there is a lid built in. If I wanted more room a lid would be fine, after the pack in I would tend to drop it with my camp, like I mention before I like the top of my pack to be streamlined as much as possible while I am hunting.

I could easily put the butt of a gun in the side pouch on the bag and use the straps on the side of the pack to strap the top of the gun, basically the same as if it were on the back of the pack or I could easily put the tent in the pack and put a gun or bow on the back. there is still lots of room. I have med pouches on both sides of the pack and a small pouch on the back, IMO they aren't an issue going through trees and bushes. The belt has a small pouch on my right and a med on the left side, I have had it that way for 5 years and wouldn't change a thing, the medium pouch carries my snacks and GPS and the small pouch carries my headlamp, lightweight fixed blade knife, 2 spare batteries for GPS and sometimes keys, these pouches have never been a hindrance.

I could have packed the crap out of the bag the same as with a lid then take my rain gear and fold it nicely on top of the main bag and strapped it down with the straps crossed like the pic and that could be the lid for the pack in, I am sure at this point I don't need a lid for 90% of my hunts.
Here is a pic of my hunt mode pack. I also clipped the top handle forward so that it wouldn't grab branches, it is a perfect loop to get hung up on!

Attachments

• 20170204_161201.jpg
    20170204_161201.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
d48d94acc0a823f6f20520cc43162d3d.jpg

Here's my reckoning collapsed to work as a carry on. Binoculars, spotter, camera, and couple other things in it. Good setup with the center zip makes it still function awesome like this. Took guide lid and pockets off for carrying on... will attach when we land and I'm ready to load up and rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
I picked up a frame over Christmas and waited until mid January to order my pack. This being my first large Kifaru purchase I wanted to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. I got a lot of help from forum members on here before I pulled the trigger on this pack. My Reckoning came in the mail last weekend along with a guide lid and some pullouts. I haven't had the time to load it up and hike with it, but there is no doubt it will handle everything I can throw at it.

attachment.php

Daypack mode

attachment.php

Half full

attachment.php

Packed full (except for the side pockets)

One thing I did with mine was move the auto lock buckle on the vertical straps to the bottom next to the Kclip. Then I added the extra male buckles from the guide lid to the top of the vertical straps on the pack. This allows me to keep the guide lid and folded top of the pack secure at the same time.
attachment.php

Attaching the middle strap over the top of the guide lid in day pack mode really secures everything close to my back.
If anyone has any questions or specific pictures they would want to see let me know.

I did the mod you highlighted on the straps to my pack. Great idea. I did not like the way the lid was sitting on the pack previously. This made it much better. Now when the pack is not quite full I fold the top potion over and connect the SR Buckle at the end of the strap to the fold over lid and then attach the lock buckle to my guide lid.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
My Reckoning with Tactical frame arrived today. I haven't had time to take it out yet but I love the ranger green color.
Planning on some short training hikes this weekend. I will try to post some pictures and a my thoughts later.
I just wanted to revive this tread a bit.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Reckoning with Tactical frame arrived today. I haven't had time to take it out yet but I love the ranger green color.
Planning on some short training hikes this weekend. I will try to post some pictures and a my thoughts later.
I just wanted to revive this tread a bit.

I think you'll love it! Kind of amazes me how well it'll work in day mode, at least how I run mine. On this recent hunt, our guides were about beside themselves when I showed up with it as a carry on (and looking like a small pack) then packed it with 5 days worth of gear and had much more room to spare. Let us know what you think though!

8b747e8c11003812ec83a0ddabb18b8f.jpg

Last edited:

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Woodswalker-

The strap you have rigged over the guide lid pressing against the frame was a fantastic idea. I copied you, and put a grab it on, you can stick the stock of your rifle in the grab it and run the strap over the guide lid as well as the stock and it works great for packing a gun on the back of the bag. Keeps everything tight when theres nothing in the bag.

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great idea micus! That guide lid would even protect the rifle/scope while it is all strapped in. I was thinking about buying a gunbearer rather than a pocket for carrying a rifle just for the height adjustment. A grab-it would be more versatile than that I would think. Can you still use the grab handle at the bottom of the pack with a grab-it installed?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great idea micus! That guide lid would even protect the rifle/scope while it is all strapped in. I was thinking about buying a gunbearer rather than a pocket for carrying a rifle just for the height adjustment. A grab-it would be more versatile than that I would think. Can you still use the grab handle at the bottom of the pack with a grab-it installed?

Yah it works out pretty slick...

It depends how much you slack the adjustment straps off the bottom of the grab it. If they are sinched up all the way then it obstructs, if you have it slacked off so the grab it is further "up" the bag then they work.

its a crazy versatile system. The amount of configurations a guy could use to rig one of these setups with all the straps/buckles and accessories boggles the mind haha.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'll love it! Kind of amazes me how well it'll work in day mode, at least how I run mine. On this recent hunt, our guides were about beside themselves when I showed up with it as a carry on (and looking like a small pack) then packed it with 5 days worth of gear and had much more room to spare. Let us know what you think though!

8b747e8c11003812ec83a0ddabb18b8f.jpg

Thank you Jordan! The videos and reviews of your Reckoning were a big help in me finally making the decision.
Also great, picture. I noticed it in the Photo a day thread. Very Jealous.

JigStick

WKR
Im so close to pulling the trigger. That green / coyote combo is so sexy. Id really like to see just how much stuff can be crammed into the main bag....without the use of guide lid or pockets attached to the pack. Id like to keep the pack as streamlined and light as possible if it will carry everything I need.

Im so close to pulling the trigger. That green / coyote combo is so sexy. Id really like to see just how much stuff can be crammed into the main bag....without the use of guide lid or pockets attached to the pack. Id like to keep the pack as streamlined and light as possible if it will carry everything I need.

I can tell you from experience, and having owned several bags, It will hold everything you need and then some for 7-10 days without the guide lid. I have a lid because it makes it simpler for keeping my stuff on hand I may want fast, ie rain gear, first aid kit, water, knives....

OP
J

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely agree with the above. It fits a lot of gear as is. If you think it would help you I can load it up with a week worth of gear and food and take some pictures.

JigStick

WKR
if you don't mind that would be great. Id like to see how full the pack gets with food, shelter, quilt, water filter, kill kit, binos, spotter, ammo, etc. Just to see how much will fit inside the bag. Id like to use the side pockets only if absolutely necessary. The only thing In plan on using them for is the center pole for my tipi.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you don't mind that would be great. Id like to see how full the pack gets with food, shelter, quilt, water filter, kill kit, binos, spotter, ammo, etc. Just to see how much will fit inside the bag. Id like to use the side pockets only if absolutely necessary. The only thing In plan on using them for is the center pole for my tipi.

Reckoning loaded @ 5 days

Reckoning loaded @ 5 days

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the reckoning, guide lid, grab it and cargo net for an upcoming extended shed hunting trip. I was able to make it all fit by doubling up the split female buckles on the loops on the frame. Works great, still able to get all the compression I need without putting the buckles in a bind. I will admit, the reckoing has lots of straps to begin with, but when you add everything mentioned above it becomes a strap monster! Takes a little time to manuver everything, but with a little practice it goes pretty quickly. I am blown away by the versatility of this system. You can do almost anything you can imagine with it.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some size comparisons. From left to right: Eberlestock Blue Widow with Spike duffel, Kifaru Reckoning with Guide lid, Eberlestock Battleship.
The Blue Widow has been my backcountry 14day hunting pack for a few years, the Battleship was my 7day hunting/backpacking pack.

URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/whiskeysierra762/media/image_zpspmq0dnwb.jpg.html]
image_zpspmq0dnwb.jpg
[/URL]