The Kifaru Reckoning Experience

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
My reckoning in ranger green arrived today! Very excited to get familiar with it and put it to work. What I want to do is kind of document the experience via the written word and pictures as a way to share any useful info to folks out there. I'll be loading it up with about 40 lbs. tonight to spend some time on the incline trainer to get feel for it and make whatever adjustments are needed. I plan on posting up as many pictures as would be useful, from different angles and different configurations, as well as field use. I'll try to do some load out posts with pics to give guys and idea of capacity and versatility with different gear. And of course I'll try to explain my thoughts on the pack itself. This could also be used as a thread for other guys' experience with the pack as kind of a compilation of experiences. More to come.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to this!
I just ordered a Reckoning, tactical frame, guide lid, and 2 hip pockets all in ranger green.

Jvco

FNG
Looking forward to your thoughts, mine is ready for pickup so hoping to get it next week and put some miles on it.

Hall256

WKR
It is a great pack...very versatile and great design. There was a thread a week or so back where people were debating the placement of the water bladder. I think the spot between the frame is just fine...others did not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a frame over Christmas and waited until mid January to order my pack. This being my first large Kifaru purchase I wanted to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. I got a lot of help from forum members on here before I pulled the trigger on this pack. My Reckoning came in the mail last weekend along with a guide lid and some pullouts. I haven't had the time to load it up and hike with it, but there is no doubt it will handle everything I can throw at it.

attachment.php

Daypack mode

attachment.php

Half full

attachment.php

Packed full (except for the side pockets)

One thing I did with mine was move the auto lock buckle on the vertical straps to the bottom next to the Kclip. Then I added the extra male buckles from the guide lid to the top of the vertical straps on the pack. This allows me to keep the guide lid and folded top of the pack secure at the same time.
attachment.php

Attaching the middle strap over the top of the guide lid in day pack mode really secures everything close to my back.
If anyone has any questions or specific pictures they would want to see let me know.

JPD350

WKR
Here are some day mode pics, my preference is to put most everything in the bottom of the pack so that I have something to lean on when sitting to glass, sometimes I'll even add lightweight stuff to give the bottom of the pack some extra bulk, I like to keep the top as tight as possible so that when I am going through trees and bushes there is less of a hump to catch on the trees, I had a pouch on the top of the pack in these pics but took it off and put it on the inside when I moved my Bladder to between the frame. I started out with my spotting scope on the inside of my pack but when I started hunting and using the scope a bunch I just strapped it on the out side for quick use although I probably wouldn't do that if I was in a forested area.
I also had more cold weather stuff in the pack than I would have at any other time of the year.
don't know why the pics are sideways?

Attachments

• 20161123_150841.jpg
    20161123_150841.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 693
  • 20161123_150923.jpg
    20161123_150923.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 20170107_101649.jpg
    20170107_101649.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
My intentions are to use this pack without a lid although in the future I may get one, here are some pics with enough gear for a 6 day winter outing and one pic of the inside after removing the food and winter clothes.

Attachments

• 20170122_101055.jpg
    20170122_101055.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 20170122_101130.jpg
    20170122_101130.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 20170122_101218.jpg
    20170122_101218.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 569
  • 20170123_084209.jpg
    20170123_084209.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 574

R_burg

WKR
I picked up a frame over Christmas and waited until mid January to order my pack. This being my first large Kifaru purchase I wanted to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. I got a lot of help from forum members on here before I pulled the trigger on this pack. My Reckoning came in the mail last weekend along with a guide lid and some pullouts. I haven't had the time to load it up and hike with it, but there is no doubt it will handle everything I can throw at it.

attachment.php

Daypack mode

attachment.php

Half full

attachment.php

Packed full (except for the side pockets)

One thing I did with mine was move the auto lock buckle on the vertical straps to the bottom next to the Kclip. Then I added the extra male buckles from the guide lid to the top of the vertical straps on the pack. This allows me to keep the guide lid and folded top of the pack secure at the same time.
attachment.php

Attaching the middle strap over the top of the guide lid in day pack mode really secures everything close to my back.
If anyone has any questions or specific pictures they would want to see let me know.

What size side pocket is that on the belt? Does its lend itself to one handed opening and closing? It annoys me how it seems like on a lot of bags, the belt pockets need 2 hands to open and close.

Loco4dux

WKR
Cool thread and pictures... mine is in the mail right now, will post once i get it set up.

OP
J

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
OK, so I after a couple days use on the incline trainer, here's some first impressions. A few caveats to begin with. This is my fist Kifaru pack, so I'm not fluent in Kifaru speak, nomenclature, etc. These are fist impressions after a couple hours on an incline trainer with the pack loaded up with gear for a 1 to 2 backpacking trip, so 30-40 pounds max. I'm just trying to get things adjusted right now and get familiar with the pack so I can give it a fair representation and use it to its full potential. This will be an incremental thread. So here we go. This is a burly pack and it is evident that it is designed to be bombproof and functional. The amount of straps and the size and bulk of the buckles and other hardware are very noticeable if not a little surprising. This is not a bad thing. Some things we just can't have fail, so I can appreciate the thought that went into the straps and buckles (generalized term) and I'm glad they are that way. I'm on board with the auto locks on the buckles as well, but they take a little getting used to. Other little things like several extra tab loops indicate the thought and field experience that influenced this design. I'll get more into detail about all the features down the road. But first impressions on quality are very good. Materials and craftsmanship are very good. Regarding size, this pack is easily big enough to fit MY needs for several days. When I loaded it up for fitting and to hit the incline trainer, I really just through in everything I had just used last weekend for an overnight backpack trip (in northern Utah....lots of snow and cold). But I added a bunch of extra food and my kill kit to make a point. Without really trying to maximize volume it was too easy to get it all in with quite a bit of room to spare, and I didn't even use the side pockets. This was very useful for me because for the most part that loadout is no different than if it were a 5 day trip, with the addition of maybe 2 pair of socks and a little more food. Bottom line, it's got plenty of room for me. I'll post pics later of what I packed.

I watched Aron's videos on this pack and the frame dozens of times and read the fitting instructions that came with the pack. I also understand that my pack was made to order according to sizing info I gave to Kifaru. So with that information, it is my understanding that they set up the pack for my sizing before they ship it. So with that said, it seems like they got it pretty close. As far as comfort and fit goes, I won't say I put it on and it was instantly a match made in heaven. I still want to try a couple tweaks to the suspension to try and dial in the fit. That's where the time on the incline trainer comes in handy. Its a controlled environment and I can get a good feel for any adjustments made or needed. So I'll keep you posted on that. Specifically, I need to work on the shoulder straps a little to find the perfect fit. The hip belt seems great. Honestly it is quite a bit thinner than I expected, but I had heard that before and it seems quite comfortable. The torso padding and shoulder straps seem good to go.

Separating the bag from the frame is a breeze. Good system there. I tried the hydration thing in between the bag and frame and it was OK, though I don't see myself using that much. I will say, it's a lot easier to set that up with nothing in the bag. Common sense.

Overall first impressions are very good. This is a solid pack of very good quality. No it is not light. Feels about the same as a stripped down USMC ILBE and that's fine with me. I'm really looking forward to loading this up in different configurations, as I feel like there are a lot of capabilities with the compression straps and the side pockets. I'm sure I missed something, so if there's anything you guys want to see or questions, just hit me up and I'll try to address that. I'll keep you posted as I get more experience with this pack.

OP
J

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a few pictures of the pack loaded with a couple days worth of gear, not all inclusive, just representative. Maybe 30 pounds. I've been using this load to get familiar with the pack and for making adjustments. From the top, left to right in rows. Z seat, reckoning. Next row. 6 Mtn. House small meals, water filter kit in small black dry sack, fire and lighting kit in bright green pouch, 1L aluminum pot in green bag, thermarest neo air, Mtn. Hardwear 20 deg syn bag in black seal line dry bag. Next row. 2 Backpacker's Pantry dinners, first aid kit in grey pouch, miscellaneous pouch with pocket rocket and cordage, fuel, exped air pillow. Next row. Kill kit in black dry sack. Clothing and insulation in blue dry bag, rain gear, 5 x 7 coyote tarp. Bottom. 1 man tent. I just remembered I put a knife and small folding saw in the side pockets of the pack. This all fit inside the pack easily with room to spare. I had the pack compressed a bit too so there's some room to expand as well. Hope this gives an idea of how much room there is in the pack.
View attachment 46484
View attachment 46485
View attachment 46486
View attachment 46487

OP
J

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys, not sure how to post the pictures without having to click on the attachment.

Hall256

WKR
OK, so I after a couple days use on the incline trainer, here's some first impressions. A few caveats to begin with. This is my fist Kifaru pack, so I'm not fluent in Kifaru speak, nomenclature, etc. These are fist impressions after a couple hours on an incline trainer with the pack loaded up with gear for a 1 to 2 backpacking trip, so 30-40 pounds max. I'm just trying to get things adjusted right now and get familiar with the pack so I can give it a fair representation and use it to its full potential. This will be an incremental thread. So here we go. This is a burly pack and it is evident that it is designed to be bombproof and functional. The amount of straps and the size and bulk of the buckles and other hardware are very noticeable if not a little surprising. This is not a bad thing. Some things we just can't have fail, so I can appreciate the thought that went into the straps and buckles (generalized term) and I'm glad they are that way. I'm on board with the auto locks on the buckles as well, but they take a little getting used to. Other little things like several extra tab loops indicate the thought and field experience that influenced this design. I'll get more into detail about all the features down the road. But first impressions on quality are very good. Materials and craftsmanship are very good. Regarding size, this pack is easily big enough to fit MY needs for several days. When I loaded it up for fitting and to hit the incline trainer, I really just through in everything I had just used last weekend for an overnight backpack trip (in northern Utah....lots of snow and cold). But I added a bunch of extra food and my kill kit to make a point. Without really trying to maximize volume it was too easy to get it all in with quite a bit of room to spare, and I didn't even use the side pockets. This was very useful for me because for the most part that loadout is no different than if it were a 5 day trip, with the addition of maybe 2 pair of socks and a little more food. Bottom line, it's got plenty of room for me. I'll post pics later of what I packed.

I watched Aron's videos on this pack and the frame dozens of times and read the fitting instructions that came with the pack. I also understand that my pack was made to order according to sizing info I gave to Kifaru. So with that information, it is my understanding that they set up the pack for my sizing before they ship it. So with that said, it seems like they got it pretty close. As far as comfort and fit goes, I won't say I put it on and it was instantly a match made in heaven. I still want to try a couple tweaks to the suspension to try and dial in the fit. That's where the time on the incline trainer comes in handy. Its a controlled environment and I can get a good feel for any adjustments made or needed. So I'll keep you posted on that. Specifically, I need to work on the shoulder straps a little to find the perfect fit. The hip belt seems great. Honestly it is quite a bit thinner than I expected, but I had heard that before and it seems quite comfortable. The torso padding and shoulder straps seem good to go.

Separating the bag from the frame is a breeze. Good system there. I tried the hydration thing in between the bag and frame and it was OK, though I don't see myself using that much. I will say, it's a lot easier to set that up with nothing in the bag. Common sense.

Overall first impressions are very good. This is a solid pack of very good quality. No it is not light. Feels about the same as a stripped down USMC ILBE and that's fine with me. I'm really looking forward to loading this up in different configurations, as I feel like there are a lot of capabilities with the compression straps and the side pockets. I'm sure I missed something, so if there's anything you guys want to see or questions, just hit me up and I'll try to address that. I'll keep you posted as I get more experience with this pack.
Jim, you mentioned the ILBE, we're you in the Marines or did you get one used?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
JimGraig, pics aren't working, I believe you either have to use a photo site such as Photobucket or use the manage attachments under go advanced.

R_burg

WKR
Im going to shoot Kifaru a call and pick their brain, but I was wondering about some opinions on a couple things:

- Would I be stupid to skip the guide lid for now? My trips max out around 5-6 days so far. At 6000ci with the side pockets, I should have no issues having room for anything I am doing. I also would get a couple pockets because I want some some additional storage that is accessed outside the bag, plus I really like how they setup the bag with the pocket for your buttstock of your gun or a bow cam.... One on top of the lid, one on the bottom I was thinking.

I see JPD350's pics above and hes making it work, but he would not be able to strap a gun or bow to the bag, which I would like to do.

- I see the pics on here, but in person, is it nice when compressed? I have 2 bags now, and use my 3200 for day mode now with very little stuff in it and it works great... I appreciate the smaller bag. I sometimes feel larger bags, even if I can strap them tight to compress them get annoying with all the extra material and straps everywhere. They lose some functionality. Any insight? I was hoping to go down to 1 bag with this system.

- Any opinion on what pocket works best for the belt? That small pocket WoodsWalker is using looks great... How does a mini belt pouch compare. Not wondering about specs, but about functionality and any annoyances I wouldnt know without experience.

My intentions are to use this pack without a lid although in the future I may get one, here are some pics with enough gear for a 6 day winter outing and one pic of the inside after removing the food and winter clothes.

It looks like you are extending the top anyway... just not as high as you could with the guide lid. Do you know if this gets you more room than the 5000ci Kifaru specs the bag at?

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I personally wanted to keep my pack free of pouches on the sides to keep the profile narrow and for aesthetic reasons. I think in your case, medium belt pouches on the fold down lid and on the bottom under the zipper would be the most functional of the sizes that Kifaru offers. I went with a guide lid because I wanted to have all my daily gear in one spot on the pack.
attachment.php

This picture has 2 large pull outs, 1 medium pull outs, and the chamber pocket that comes with the guide lid. In these I have my medical kit, survival kit, kill kit, and other small items. There is still enough room for snacks or whatever else in the lid. Plus it makes a cool little pack once the shoulder straps are deployed. :cool:
With the 6 side straps fully compressed it creates a enough internal space for a jacket and maybe a few other small things. I was impressed just how compressible this big pack was. The center zipper allows you to get inside the pack without having to undo the side buckles. The strap keepers really control the excess well, but do add time when adjusting the length of the buckles.
I felt the small belt pouch I have was more functional than the mini pouches they offer. I didnt want a bunch of pouches and things that could get hung up on branches.