Mystery Ranch Bighorn?

Agross

WKR
I need opinions in this pack. I realize it's no longer made, but this pack really intrigues me. I can't afford a new high end pack or do I really need one. I have had several lower end packs and have slowly upgraded . I just sold a hornhunter mainbeam XL as it was just more than I needed. Cool pack with a million pockets.
I would mainly be using this pack for a day pack for whitetail , bear hunts, and carrying extra stuff for when my son starts coming along. I like to carry extra gloves hats and clothes for layering. Also other odds and ends. I don't need a pack with a ton of pockets and generally like a simpler layout. This pack would also be for an elk hunt I am planning for 2018. I know there are better packs for elk hunting but it's not something I will be doing every year(I wish). I realize there are good day packs , and good hauling packs, I am looking for something that does a little of both. I like the beaver tail aspect as I like to walk in dressed very lite and then finish getting dressed once on stand and cooled down. This would be easy to throw my last couple layers into for quick access.
Also I noticed there are a couple versions of this pack, not sure which is older or newer but I would prefer the lower pockets on on the sides of the pack. Am I on the right track looking at this pack, if I can afford it , or is it overkill for what I need? Thanks. Andy

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I need opinions in this pack. I realize it's no longer made, but this pack really intrigues me. I can't afford a new high end pack or do I really need one. I have had several lower end packs and have slowly upgraded . I just sold a hornhunter mainbeam XL as it was just more than I needed. Cool pack with a million pockets.
I would mainly be using this pack for a day pack for whitetail , bear hunts, and carrying extra stuff for when my son starts coming along. I like to carry extra gloves hats and clothes for layering. Also other odds and ends. I don't need a pack with a ton of pockets and generally like a simpler layout. This pack would also be for an elk hunt I am planning for 2018. I know there are better packs for elk hunting but it's not something I will be doing every year(I wish). I realize there are good day packs , and good hauling packs, I am looking for something that does a little of both. I like the beaver tail aspect as I like to walk in dressed very lite and then finish getting dressed once on stand and cooled down. This would be easy to throw my last couple layers into for quick access.
Also I noticed there are a couple versions of this pack, not sure which is older or newer but I would prefer the lower pockets on on the sides of the pack. Am I on the right track looking at this pack, if I can afford it , or is it overkill for what I need? Thanks. Andy

If that pack were still available and US made today, it would be one of my first choices. It's on the X frame which has some hauling abilities and the capacity and built in beaver tail are a good setup in my opinion. I don't think the pack would be overkill for any kind of hunting/backpacking activity, including air travel. If you plan on hauling out elk quarters you might end up wanting more pack.

Andy,

The Bighorn is one of my favorite pack designs ever. I regret selling mine every time I see one pop up in the classifieds. Its a big daypack, great for bulky layers. The X-frame is comfortable and wraps around the back really well. Depending on your torso length you might be able to get some lift from the load lifters. I have a 21 inch torso so the 22 inch frame was just over my shoulders. It will carry what you put in it, by that I mean the MR construction is great and you can count on it holding whatever you throw in it, comfort will depend on the user at that point. The stick-it beaver tail is great and really handy. Not a lot of pockets but enough to stay organized. The version that I owned did not have the side pockets like the older version.

A new pack similar in size and function is the Scapegoat from MR. Little less volume, but narrower and taller than the Bighorn. I really liked the scapegoat as well and would have kept it, but I put all my eggs in the Kifaru basket.

On the use for elk hunting, I guess it would depend on a lot of factors. If you were day hunting from a truck it would work pretty good I guess. Otherwise I think you might be left wanting a little more.

If you find a Bighorn, grab it quick, because I might just snatch one for nostalgia. Good luck, happy hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Great pack
The "mystery" in Mystery Ranch is why they eliminated the built in Stick It beaver tail found on the Big Horn, Big Sky and Sweet Pea. Great feature, poor decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I love mine, its a second generation (maybe the first production one actually) without the side pockets. From what I remember the main differences in the versions are the side pockets, frame is a little stouter on 2nd gen and different compression strap layout. I definitely like the compression straps better on gen 2. I've packed pieces of a bunch of critters with mine with no issues at all, both putting meat into the main compartment and also by using the stick it as a load panel.

TheTone

WKR
There are two on ebay when I just looked, I'm pretty one of each generation. The one with 20+ bids is a gen 2 I think.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Well that didn't work out. These packs are hard to come by. Is it because people really like em or were they not made for very long?

Trial153

WKR
I regret selling my bighorn. If I ever see one again and it's a somewhat reasonable price I might grab it for nostalgia

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
The Bighorn is easily my favorite pack... it's a real do it all. It's not really a hauling pack...but i've hauled a ton of meat on it and the beavertail is perfect to cram a quarter on for a hike out. I've got several MR packs but the Bighorn gets the most use out of all of them.

Mine is blood stained and battered...I hope it comes back into production before mine is worn out!

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Man from the sounds of it, if I find one , I better jump on it quick. I have some time till our hunt but would like to find one sooner than later.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
I was lucky enough to connect with one of these packs. Was hooked up by a fellow rockslider(thanks again Josh) and man am I impressed! This pack is exactly what I hoped it would be. The first thing I thought was this thing seems bullet proof. The fit was perfect and the size of the pack is exactly what I was looking for. I know a lot of people think these packs are too heavy but I didn't notice. Putting it on I thought it felt lighter than what it is and is very comfortable. I really like the setup of the bag and the internal pockets are just enough. I haven't loaded it up yet because I've been busy with family stuff and the weather has been shit lately around here, but I can't wait to load it up and start training . Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts on this pack. This one isn't going anywhere.

BAvila

FNG
Glad you found one. I regret getting rid of my MultiCam Big Sky that was made right before the Big Horn was released. Now I just need to find one.

Hi all can this pack haul up sleeping gear an necessities and some meat with it on the way back out for 4 day trip

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk