Kifaru vs Stone Glacier - Specifically fit and frame comparison

Curious - mention of the new SG frame "hugging" your back has been discussed as a positive in this thread. I'm a sweaty SOB, I assume this means less air for my swampy back. Would you guys agree?

I am worried about this as well. The design appears to have less air flow than the duplex frame. The hugging your back term makes me keep thinking of a hot sweaty back as well.

Does anyone know if the SG xcurve frame come standard with the load shelf and compression straps like it is pictured?

Also wondered if the bags come standard with their rubber webbing keepers?

I hope the answer is yes to both. These things should be standard at the price.

Does anyone know if the SG xcurve frame come standard with the load shelf and compression straps like it is pictured?

Also wondered if the bags come standard with their rubber webbing keepers?

I hope the answer is yes to both. These things should be standard at the price.

Yes and no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Bike intertube, scissors, done. Works good threaded onto your belt to hold knives, lights, gps, etc. We called them "Ranger Bands"

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I am worried about this as well. The design appears to have less air flow than the duplex frame. The hugging your back term makes me keep thinking of a hot sweaty back as well.

Contact to your back is strictly lumbar pad and shoulder straps, so it's pretty "cool" to me. Way more vented than the MR yoke as there is a gap in padding. I'm not sure compared with the Kifaru frames, but they are open at your spine as well, so I could see them being quite similar in that regard.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We sell the webbing keepers separately to keep the cost down the extra $9 as not all frame customers want them . We don't have a mark-up in the webbing keepers, I had them custom manufactured to our speced width and circumference from UV protected synthetic rubber to withstand weather and sun. This custom manufacturing makes them more expensive than any standard over the counter bands.
Best
Kurt

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about going with Kifaru but haven't been able to find a bag that looked like what I wanted (just looking online). The Sky Talus 6900 looks like something I need, configuration wise, as I like the two side pockets. If I was going to be a 5 day, maybe, maybe, a 7 day hunt guy. Do you think the 6900 is to big? Should I go in the 5k range. I would be using it as a day pack apart from those long hunts as well.

I use it for everything, because it still weighs less than 5lbs. I break it down to bivy mode and take the lid off and either put it inside the pack or leave it at home on day hunts. I don't think it is too big, because of the way it compresses down. Day hunt for archery season. I have a few extra layers, some snacks, kill kit, trekking poles, head lamp, and a few other odds and ends, plus hydration. It compresses down to 1000 and looks like there is barely a pack on the frame. I shot a whitetail the day before thanksgiving on a day hunt. Lots of extra layers in the snow, and muzzleloader possible bag, rattle bag, doe bleet, lunch extra water, and kill kit. I packet the meat bags on the load shelf. strapped it down tight with everything inside the bag, and walked out about 80-90 lbs 2.25 miles. It doesn't look or feel too bulky at all based on the way it compresses. Check out the various configurations that Stone Glacier has on their web-site under each bag as well as their youtube videos on how they set them up. When I don't carry my spotting scope and tripod, I use the side pockets for trekking poles and other odds and ends that I would use most every day for easy access. I also use a couple of the swing out pockets and hanging camp pockets for organization for longer trips.

at some point I may buy a second smaller bag, but it would be for my 9 year old to go along side me with an overnight set up with scouts or an early season hunt.

If you want pictures, p.m. me an email address or phone number and I can text or email a few pictures.

Mike7

WKR
If/when I get a SG pack, the Sky Talus 6900 looks to be the most functional for my purposes. I really like the long side pockets like on my Kifaru Timberline, which are good for tripod, spotting scope, rain clothes, etc., which can then all be accessed still while a bow is left attached to the front of the pack. I also like the potential for easier loading of meat inside of the bag with the 6900 though through the center zip, and like the more waterproof zippers on the SG packs. And I think I like from the videos the way the SG pack seals at the top over the stays in it's compressed mode without a lid. As far as Kifaru packs, the Reckoning would be nearly my perfect pack as well, but I sure wish that it had waterproof/resistant zippers.

Does anyone know how tall the side pockets are on the 6900? I didn't see that on the web site, and wonder if my tripod will fit in one?

husky390

WKR
I have an SG Sky 7400 with the Krux frame and a Kifaru EMR II on a gen 2 Duplex frame. Both are good packs but I've found the Kifaru to be more comfortable. The issue I have with the SG is I have a tendency to roll my shoulders forward which causes the bottom edge of the shoulder pads to dig into my shoulder blades. This becomes very uncomfortable pretty quick and is annoying. To be fair, I bought the SG because I couldn't stand how my Kifaru fit until I picked up some different stays. It took awhile, but I finally got the Kifaru dialed in. Hopefully I can get the SG dialed in as well.

A couple observations between the two:

The Kifaru belt has webbing for attaching a variety of pouches or accessories. Some not made by Kifaru.
The EMR II can handle any awkward load whereas the SG seems to require a little more care when packing it.
I like how well the SG condenses down in daypack mode and the compression straps are pretty slick.
I like the Tripod pocket on the SG
I haven't used it yet, but I like the built in meat shelf option on the SG.
Both work well with the HPG Kit Bag
You'll find more used Kifaru gear than SG gear.

They're both great packs that are tough and built well. You really can't go wrong with either one.

If/when I get a SG pack, the Sky Talus 6900 looks to be the most functional for my purposes. I really like the long side pockets like on my Kifaru Timberline, which are good for tripod, spotting scope, rain clothes, etc., which can then all be accessed still while a bow is left attached to the front of the pack. I also like the potential for easier loading of meat inside of the bag with the 6900 though through the center zip, and like the more waterproof zippers on the SG packs. And I think I like from the videos the way the SG pack seals at the top over the stays in it's compressed mode without a lid. As far as Kifaru packs, the Reckoning would be nearly my perfect pack as well, but I sure wish that it had waterproof/resistant zippers.

Does anyone know how tall the side pockets are on the 6900? I didn't see that on the web site, and wonder if my tripod will fit in one?

Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

Justin talks about it in there, judging for myself the SG are not nearly as big as the timberline pockets, keep in mind I've never seen a sky talus, but have fit a razor 85, butt pad and a puffy all in one side pocket of a timberline.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider

Justin talks about it in there, judging for myself the SG are not nearly as big as the timberline pockets, keep in mind I've never seen a sky talus, but have fit a razor 85, butt pad and a puffy all in one side pocket of a timberline.

this would be accurate that an 85 won't fit in the side pocket of a 6900. my swaro sts 20-60x65 HD fits perfectly, and on the other side I have an Outdoorsman Compact Medium with a pistol grip head that fits in the other side with room to spare.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider

what set up are you trying to put in it? I am in Spokane if you would like to check it out at some point this spring.

Mike7

WKR
Thanks for the info everyone. Whacker, thanks for the offer also. I was just wondering if my Gitzo tripod would fit in the side pockets...but it doesn't sound like it will (I think the tripod is about 22" long). That is not a big deal though, I can just put the tripod in the lower pocket on the outside bag, if I end up getting the SG 6900 in the future. I just prefer to have everything inside of the pack generally. The waterproof zippers are a big selling point for me on the SG packs to cut down on water coming in the pack. I sometimes end up with almost an inch of water in the bottom of my Kifaru hip pockets and pack at the end of a day of pouring rain in the Cascades and with crawling through wet brush. The 500 Codura seems to be very waterproof on its own, but not so with unprotected zippers.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info everyone. Whacker, thanks for the offer also. I was just wondering if my Gitzo tripod would fit in the side pockets...but it doesn't sound like it will (I think the tripod is about 22" long). That is not a big deal though, I can just put the tripod in the lower pocket on the outside bag, if I end up getting the SG 6900 in the future. I just prefer to have everything inside of the pack generally. The waterproof zippers are a big selling point for me on the SG packs to cut down on water coming in the pack. I sometimes end up with almost an inch of water in the bottom of my Kifaru hip pockets and pack at the end of a day of pouring rain in the Cascades and with crawling through wet brush. The 500 Codura seems to be very waterproof on its own, but not so with unprotected zippers.

I have not had that issue, but I haven't been hunting on that wet of a day recently. snow, yes, but not rain to that extent. I also bought the rain cover for the pack for that reason, because I know it is a matter of time before I do have a wet day or wet week.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider

with regard to the length, I think you are correct on 22 inches long being too long for the pocket. my spotter is 14.75 + scope cover. I would bet the pocket is about 17 inches long, maybe 18 at the most and with narrow tripod, maybe you get a 19 inch in the pocket, but not likely on 22 inch. Maybe Kurt will chime in on that.

I like to leave my tripod attached to my spotter. I find that it's just a lot easier to pull it out and throw it up to get an eye on something.
0511156edc1f419a219443fce154e2c3.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What in the wide world of sports is going on here? A rokslide kifaru vs _____ thread where the most common answer is not kifaru?

HAHA I am going to SG this year. Mainly due to try their new frame....but the weight savings will be nice too!!!

Not selling my Kifaru yet though ;)