Kifaru vs Stone Glacier - Specifically fit and frame comparison

Bughalli

WKR
I just bought the Avail with the load cell and the xcurve frame. After all the back and forth and so on i was originally leaning towards the 5900 but then when i figured out how i hunt and talking to the guys at SG, i went a different direction. The avail allows me to hike all summer light and fast and scout. Then when i pack in, attach it to the xcurve and add the load cell to carrry my tent and sleeping bag and food and so forth. all my clothes for the most part and day gear stays in the avail. When i make camp, just pop the load cell out and go...Most of my hunts are less then 5 days, most hovering around 3 as if im not in them, i usually bounce to a new location and reload up on food. My new set up is in the mail now, so hope to have it by this weekend, plus it was easier to sell to the wife when i told her she could wear the avail when i have the kid carrier on my back for family outings. The camelbak mule just doesn't carry enough snacks and baby dolls for my daughter. lol

Interesting idea and very efficient. That makes a lot of sense. I guess my only question would be once you shoot something, will you notice any differences in how it holds everything since you need to have another load cell for meat or meat bags squeezed in there as well (for the first haul anyway).

Well my thoughts are that might only come into play for deer or smaller species. For elk, i will be committing to multiple loads, so the load shelf will be for meat only until i have to pack everything out. In all my packs out i have never had the full camp and full meat shelf full, granted i have had a little of both. I did one a few years back where i packed out a little of my camp with every load of meat, and saved my sleeping bag and tent for last in case i got stuck. My plan is if i do eventually do some big hunts again like 7 days or more ill get a big bag like the 6200 or bigger.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Well I've done a few "mountain" hikes with my Xcurve and 80#'s and wow it carries that much weight so nice! The belt doesn't slip a bit and it is extremely stable. I didn't have to re-cinch down the belt at all after getting it tightened up initially. Very impressed to say the least.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Didn't want to show my face around here until I actually bought a bag...

So I pulled the trigger on a Sky Talus 6900 last week. This thread did help me make my decision, thanks guys. Interestingly enough, this thread was very pro SG, even vs Kifaru which surprised me. And SG sold out of XCurve frames right after I started it. I think SG owes me a hat with my order or something. :D (Just kidding, I'm sure it has to do with the excellent early reviews of the XCurve frame)

Between Kifaru and SG... Honestly, I figured either frame would work well for me, but SG's bags and their logic behind their designs won me over. Plus I am built just like Kurt, so I figured I might inherently have some luck with their frame design, haha.

I'm excited to try it out. It should be great, and I am excited at actually experiencing how well these things compress. Moving from 2 bags (a 7200 + 3200) to one bag should be great and obviously save me weight over carrying both.

I also ordered the Weapon Sling, Hydro Sleeve and 1 Accessory Pocket.

I always use a hydration bag, and have ~6 of the UL Kifaru pullouts, so I skipped the Camp Pocket. I do like how it look though. Can you run that and the hydro sleeve?

Last edited:

Blackcow

WKR
You can daisy chain the camp pocket(s) over the top of the hydro sleeve using the same attachment points at the top if you want, but then your bladder would set behind it(them). I just leave them loose. I like the camp pocket for some things, and regular kif pullout for others. I've had the 5900 and x curve since early March, and since then I've been selling all of my other packs. Love it.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
You can daisy chain the camp pocket(s) over the top of the hydro sleeve using the same attachment points at the top if you want, but then your bladder would set behind it(them). I just leave them loose. I like the camp pocket for some things, and regular kif pullout for others. I've had the 5900 and x curve since early March, and since then I've been selling all of my other packs. Love it.

Thanks, sounds like my current stuff will work well.

Do you bow hunt? I was extremely close to going with the 5900, but I thought strapping the bow on the front of the 6900 would be easier than over the pocket of the 5900, especially if I put my spotting scope in there.

Blackcow

WKR
I only bowhunt. I have no problem strapping a bow across the back with the pocket full. Having said that, I hardly ever strap my bow to my pack anymore. Too many ass over tea kettles I guess. I either carry it or I have a rubber sling with cord loops on the end. So I can keep an eye on it i guess.

Last edited:

mauidiver

WKR
Anyone have a picture of the Xcurve with a whole deer strapped in the frame? Public land requires bringing back a field dressed deer only and thinking of placing the deer in the built in load shelf. Our deer are small and average 60-80lbs

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for and it’s not a deer, but here’s a picture of 4 billy goat quarters, plus a little extra in the bag, on an Xcurve frame.
8229560f03221768e0aacb6ac587e3bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for and it’s not a deer, but here’s a picture of 4 billy goat quarters, plus a little extra in the bag, on an Xcurve frame.
8229560f03221768e0aacb6ac587e3bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you find that model!? And how much did you have to pay!?

Randy