Kifaru Native pack on IG

I dont know that I would need something like this, but it does look like a cool pack for quick hikes. As for using it like a lid/add-on pack... Kifaru has done this a lot in the past. At one point I want to say all their military line packs could be docked to eachother. The idea was you could have an MMR or EMR as your ruck and a Marauder attached with your assault or med bag kit. Set up your TAA, grab the assault bag and move out.

Kotaman

WKR
This is not at all what I was hoping for in a new lid. In fact I agree with Tips, in that is really NOT a lid. I'd like to see a smaller lid shaped like the Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch lid. I guess I'll just keep running my MR lid on my Kifaru packs. The Guide lid is "ok" when everything is full, but that thing engulfs the whole pack in daypack mode. :(

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Does seem like the first version looked more streamlined than this one. Definitely looks more of a day hike pack now than a lid.

oldgoat

WKR
Call it whatever you want but that's not a "LID". That's just docking a pack onto another one. Not my cup of tea but maybe sum will like it.

c075948ca258afa73e8afd7718bb0559.jpg

ebd5c70e813b393b80277845ff19e143.jpg

This operation makes a lot more sense

8e2fb9c135e681ebbf5ac955a0d111d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't think much of it till I saw it paired with the Nomad! For daypack hunts that would be a sweet setup!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Curious about cost and also weight relative to the Guide Lid.
Almost identical with the shoulder straps that come with it. I think the native is an ounce heavier, but I'll weigh them again today and double check.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right now my Guide Lid does everything the Native will do at half the weight and cost. Why would I carry the heavier more expensive Native as a lid when ounces count in the mtns?

Yes, it's kick ass for a small camelbak style bag but can't see it as a lid replacement.

How do you know what the native weighs?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will be the first to say Kifaru is awesome, but that looks like an expensive solution to a non existent problem. i think other applications it would be cool but as a lid i think its heavy over kill.
We built it because so many people asked for it, but I can see where you're coming from.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless they streamline it quite a bit from the IG proto I think $150 is optimistic. If an E&E is $120, the native looks to use more fabric, has several more pockets and a more complex backpanel. Could very well end up in the $200 range.

I would agree that the guid lid seems like the more practical solution for a detachable day pack, but I'm sure they'd sell the native anyway.
It will be $150 with the lid kid and compression straps included

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not on instagram, so I just saw this Native pack/lid. Is it just me, or does it look ridiculous as a lid? Looks like a great little pack, but I'm not seeing the use as a lid....
It does look kind of goofy as a lid especially when everything is filled up period period period having said that I'm planning on using it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does seem like the first version looked more streamlined than this one. Definitely looks more of a day hike pack now than a lid.
It's actually about the same size as the original but I stuffed a lot more in this one to give everyone idea of how big it could get.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Got any picks of it strapped straight to the frame? Seems like using it as a water carrier and daypack in a base camp type scenario would work good. Maybe with a cargo net attached

We built it because so many people asked for it, but I can see where you're coming from.

Aron, build a dedicated camera bag, one that can have its own suspension but also be thrown on your frames. Make it 3kish ci, but have the zipper system like on the echo to cut down on the bag size based on your current kit, that systems pretty bad ass, have an internal system to be able to suspend icu or camera units in locations that allow access from the most convenient points that way it doesn't jut sink to the bottom of your bag. Maybe have duel panel access one from suspension side, one from back, or duel side access, that way you don't have to take the pack off to get to the contents. Have an option for a laptop carry for guys who shoot tethered remotely. Loop or handle on top for hanging under a tripod.
You guys should make some padded pockets that have your attachment points for lenses as well. I've got APSC mirrorless and DSLR systems, so if you need a tester let me know!! This is my official request.

You can call it
Kifaru capture
Kifaru compose
Kifaru landscape.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Believe me, if it was anything like the E&E we would not be building it.

Maybe I missed them but where are the YouTube videos of it, IG videos are too short. I based that just by looking at the exterior but would be nice to see all the features