Tahr - Finally found my daypack.

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
After going through several daypacks I've finally landed on the one that makes me happy.

Kifaru Tahr at 3400 CI with a large and small pocket attached to the front.

Simple, easy access, load shelf, perfectly sized for a heavy day load full of glassing and shooting gear. A top loader with a folding collar is my favorite access in a bag this size.

Most of my hunting consists of walking in every morning before sun up and walking out at dark. The rifle will ride on the pack in travel mode but a Kifaru Gun Bearer rides on the belt right side when in hunt mode. Left side belt holds a rangefinder pouch and water bottle.

Large pouch - Liner gloves, outer gloves, liner beanie, outer beanie, two way radio.

Small pouch - Headlamp, knife, cell phone, chapstick.

Main bag from bottom to top - game bag, rain gear, pack rain cover, glassing mitts, puffy hoodie, puffy vest, hard shell (yes I overdo it), glassing butt pad, rear shooting bag (bipod is mounted to rifle), 15x56 binos, spotting scope, 8x32 binos (which get moved to Kuiu harness when on the hill) 2nd water bottle, small possible bag, food.

IMG_4806_zpsureq1ndd.jpg

IMG_4784_zpsli4egrcm.jpg

IMG_4793_zpskelyag4y.jpg

IMG_4798_zpszskubr0a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I tested the guide lid instead of the pockets. I preferred the pockets but here are pics with the guide lid. The dedicated sewn in lid straps on the pack slide down the side of the pack with a short load so I used a quick clip to attach the lid to the plastic common loops in the top load lifter loop.

File%20Feb%2020%209%2007%2027%20PM_zps67h39hzk.jpeg

File%20Feb%2020%209%2008%2027%20PM_zpso4xh3wlj.jpeg

File%20Feb%2020%209%2009%2011%20PM_zpsx6wyk9gc.jpeg
[/quote]

Love the Tahr, I ran a spotter up both sides, and 2 large pouches up the middle and the guide lid on top. It compresses great for my day pack, and I keep my needed items in the lid, so I can quickly detach it if needed, and then it also holds enough for a 3-5 day hunt.

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to one of the guys at Kifaru and he was confident the Tahr will be back in the lineup after the stock was sold out of the Rhino Den. I haven't exactly got their business model figured out but thats what I was told.

The Tahr needs to come back. I am not interested in the Woodsman. The center zip takes away use of the back of the pack for pockets and requires the compression straps to connect to each other in the middle, verses independent straps. Independent straps are much better for strapping stuff (rifles, tripods, etc) to the side. With a single center buckle compression strap, each side is released when unsnapped. You want your rifle? Your tripod also gets dumped.

Last edited:
I talked to one of the guys at Kifaru and he was confident the Tahr will be back in the lineup after the stock was sold out of the Rhino Den. I haven't exactly got their business model figured out but thats what I was told.

The Tahr needs to come back. I am not interested in the Woodsman. The center zip takes away use of the back of the pack for pockets and requires the compression straps to connect to each other in the middle, verses independent straps. Independent straps are much better for strapping stuff (rifles, tripods, etc) to the side. With a single center buckle compression strap, each side is released when unsnapped. You want your rifle? Your tripod also gets dumped.
I agree 100% about the woodsman. The center buckles have never worked for me, even on other packs.

Given the statement about the rhino den, maybe they are re-designing the tahr? Adding woodsman features would be nice (lid attachment, belt pouch loops on fold over lid).