Nimrod Outdoor Company Carbon Canyon pack

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey just want to see if any one has seen this new pack. It has been at all the Northwest Sportsman Shows and at the Western Hunt expo. I have some specks on it from the owner like weight, 6 pounds 4 ounces and that it can be used as a stand alone frame hauler, also the price $599 ($699 after show season) and size 4500 ci (but is probably a under estimate). I am going to try and see it first hand in Spokane in March, and will update this thread with what I see.

Also in full disclosure I currently own, use and like their Guide Pack. Although it is not a true back country pack it works great as a bike, truck, and quad pack. Also no offense to all other pack makers but if I can support a local guy that makes comparable stuff....well you get my point. And I have not used any high end packs like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, etc.....

Thanks in advance
E. Wa. Hunter

7mag.

WKR
I checked out the proto type and tried it on. Seems alright, but I would be curious to try it with some weight. In my observation, it looks like there isn't a solid connection between the frame and waist belt. I've been a fan of Nimrod fire gear and day packs for years.

OP
E

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I went to look at this pack this weekend and appeared to be a decent pack. The bag is kinda of a cross between several others that I have seen it is a top loader with a side access, has a tripod or spotting scope pockets on each side, a dual compartment lid (inside and out) inside it is a basic bag with a large mesh pocket for a water bladder. The only color that the had was a earth tone brown. There are also a verity of add on pockets an pouches that you can add for other things like a water bottle radios holsters etc.

The harness and frame system was fairly comfortable for me (although it was with no weight). The frame is carbon and foam laminated piece that uses a water jet to do final cut and finish. This frame is leaps and bounds as far as strength and rigidity ahead of the Kuiu frame I have handled. It attaches, as far as I could tell, using tri glides at the belt and an open pocket at the load lifter area. the belt uses an adjustable torso piece and a mesh pad that keeps the frame off your back. Unfortunately I forgot to really inspect how the shoulder straps attached to the frame.

I am 6'6" and about 270 and the XL belt and shoulder harness fit me. The frame was still about 3 to 4 inches above my shoulder which i think would allow the load lifters to engage even with my long torso. There is also an included load sling that allows this system to be used as a pure load hauler or to compress the hole pack to the frame.

Things I like: appeared to be well built, tested for 2 years prior to bringing it to market, local product for the North West, made in the USA, solid owner that is a very likable guy, and if it holds up like my other pack it will be great. Also there is a variety of smaller day pack style bags that will go with frame.

Things I didn't: Still unsure of how it would ride with weight as there wasn't a chance to try it on with any. The over all wight of the XL harness, the frame and the bag was seemed a little heavy at 6 pounds 4 oz, but over time I think it would be a good cross between weight and strength. Also no one that I know of has done any comparisons between this and any other similarly prices systems, although I did find 1 you tube video that talked about the system. Also their website has not really been updated with all the new things that they have and teh redesigned belt system, so it makes finding information hard.

Carbon Canyon Frame Pack by Nimrod - YouTube

I also know Robby Denning used one of there systems and it would be interesting to here his thoughts on the new system, if he as seen it, and how he liked the pack system after some extended use

The only other downfall that I see is personal, as in I can't decide what direction to go, there are aspects of the Stone Glacier system and the Kifaru system that I really like, as well as this one and with out spending between 1000 and 2000 bucks to get them all I am at an impasse....

I hope this helps someone at some point, all it did is confuse me more...does any one else have anything to add or an opinion on this pack?

E Wa Hunter

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Just as a heads up I was one of the first few to buy this new pack and like a fool bought it without putting any weight in it. Once I had it home I put 50# in it and was suspect right away. I took it out on a scouting trip with 40 pounds and in my opinion, this design is very flawed. The weight hangs well away from your back and is not secure. Meaning it would swing back and forth. The owner did come to my home while in town and tried to adjust it better and install some makeshift straps.After this, I gave it another fair shot on a scouting trip but it Still had the same issues as I thought it would. I ended up having to send it back and offered my thoughts on what could help make it better. Sadly it will take a new frame design to make this happen, though. It was a neat thought but in my opinion, should have been tested more before making the final mold for the carbon fiber as it will not work as properly as is.
Brett

Last edited: