Pinching at the front of my hips

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I tried out two Kifaru packs yesterday, the Bikini and Hunter 26" with 50lbs in each. Toward the end of the hike, I noticed I was feeling a pinch at the front of my hip bone. Right here https://www.screencast.com/t/jXPoZ8Z89O

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this just an adjustment issue? Posture? Fat doesn't pad as well as muscle...

p.s. Big thanks to couesbitten for bringing two packs for me to try out.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I had the same issue and it was mostly caused by my pants and pants belt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was wearing, in the words of Nacho Libre, "Stretchy Pants." Not really, I was wearing soccer warm ups. Would a kinda spongy material still cause the pinch?

Was your solution just moving your waistline up/down/removing a belt?

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Does Kifaru make a thinner belt for the Duplex/Hunter? Or are you running a different pack?

Was the belt big enough? When I try to run a medium belt I get pressure on the front of my hips. When I use my Large belt I get plenty of wrap around my hips and there's no pressure whatsoever.

I've also had the pants and belt pinch but most of the times I've had issues it's been with a belt that's too small.

gumbl3

WKR
I've got a 50lb bag of sand I use for training. When that dude starts to sag I get pinching there cause I'm constantly trying to tighten up the waist belt. Once I stop, take it off and readjust the sand bag so it's a little higher on my back, all that goes away.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 34" waist(36" at the top of my pelvis to belly button. It was a medium belt and seemed to wrap pretty far around. Large says 39"+ do you think that extra wrap might cure the pinch?

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 50lb bag of sand I use for training. When that dude starts to sag I get pinching there cause I'm constantly trying to tighten up the waist belt. Once I stop, take it off and readjust the sand bag so it's a little higher on my back, all that goes away.

I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks for the tip.

I have a 34" waist(36" at the top of my pelvis to belly button. It was a medium belt and seemed to wrap pretty far around. Large says 39"+ do you think that extra wrap might cure the pinch?

You'll definitely want the medium belt. Large won't cinch down tight enough.

lee peet

FNG
I ran into this really bad with a kifaru bikini frame once the loads got above 50 lbs. i got rid of the bikini frame and havent had the same issue with the duplex frame

sr80

WKR
check you base layer shirt too, ive had few shirts that have a seam that runs down the front of the hip bone and once a heavy pack is on top of that pushing that seam into you bone it gets really painful.

Try a different pack. I know the Kifaru are awesome, but they just weren't for me. The Exo K2 fits me much better.

LBFowler

WKR
Clothing is a likely culprit, but it is also possible the pack just isn't for you. I had pinching on my duplex because the lumbar pad would slide down my back and most of the weight would end up on the front of the belt rather then all the way around.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna try out an Exo on Friday(once again thanks to couesbitten)

Anyone happen to have a stone glacier to try out around Tri-Cities, Wa?

BrentH

WKR
Are you making sure the pack belt is centered vertically over the point of your hip bone? Before I was paying attention to that, my hip belt was riding too high and pinching with my pants belt. I have the scars to prove how stupid I was, and how much skin was rubbed off from my first heavy pack overnight trip. After that, I found the instructions for adjusting the pack, and have since carried 70-80lb loads with no pinching.

work765

WKR
Went and did about 20 plus miles this weekend with my pack at about 35 pounds. And I ended up with some serious pinch marks on one of my hips. Basically chewed away the skin where it was pinching. The solution was to roll my shorts waist band low and to pull my shirt up, so that the pack was resting on my flesh and no material in between.

Is this normal?

I have a medium belt and I have a 32" waist. The belt can almost close when cinched super tight.(i.e. No more room to tighten)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk