Ultralight vs Indestructible

JigStick

WKR
I keep going back and forth in regards to the route to take for my pack. 90% of my hunting is here in PA, for white tail, black bear, turkey, coyote, fox, pheasant. I also do ALOT of fly fishing.

I typically drive to my hunting cabin and use it as a base camp. And hike out into the national forest from there to get away from people. So i guess you could say I set up a "spike camp"? I stay back there a few days, or shorter, depending on how the weather and hunt is going.

Hauling out a white tail or black bear is probably within the scope of any of the top end packs. So I'm torn between going with an ultralite setup (i.e. Seek Outside frame and pack) vs something much more robust (Kifaru frame and pack).

My young boys are just starting to get to the age where they will be coming with me. And I see some elk, moose, mule deer hunts out west in my future.

Do I just bite the bullet now and buy a Kifaru setup now even though its probably "overkill" for my current needs? Or get an ultralight setup and risk it not being up to the task down the road.

Have you looked at SG, pretty durable and also extremely light weight. I'm also a big fan of Kifaru and I doubt you would be unhappy with either.
I don't have a lot of experience with seek outside though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try and find a Highcamp bag to go on a Kifaru UL frame and it should be very similar in both price and weight. That being said, you may prefer the composite stays if you are actually hauling meat depending on your build (UL stays can be comfortable for some people).

Xtreme007

WKR
I would also give exo mountain gear packs a look. Pretty light weight and very capable of hauling a heavy load.

oldgoat

WKR
You could buy the Kifaru UL frame and one of their minimalist packs and add different stays later as well as bags. Lots of good stuff on the classifieds and Rhino Den.

LBFowler

WKR
assuming that weight=durability is a common fallacy.

Nearly all the pack makers use fabric that is very similar in durability (mostly 500d cordura, SO uses 420d faced laminate and 500d cordura), Kuiu being the outlier with 300d ish fabric if I remember correctly. Nearly all the pack makers use burly frames with little or no history of breaking (assuming Kuiu has fixed their frame and you aren't using arrows in a kifaru). As far as I know they all use quality buckles and webbing.

If one is lighter then another it is because they omit features, have a simpler design, or just flat out use less fabric. SO, SG and EXO all omit the plastic frame sheet of the kifaru which saves weight. You might like this frame sheet, but the kifaru is not more durable because of it.

Mystery Ranch is a classic example, their packs tended to be even heavier then the Kifarus, but used the same 500d cordura, #10 zippers, buckles and webbing. They where not more durable because they were heavier, they simply had more pockets, features, and redundant components.

Find examples of any of the high end packs not being up to task and I'll be surprised. Your body type will do more to determine which pack is or isn't up to task then who makes the pack. You will find endless threads of which pack is "bombproof" or is "the most comfortable pack I've ever used" or even how "any other pack" wouldn't have worked, but until there is actually examples of other packs failing in identical circumstances it is just bluster. Just because one pack works doesn't mean another won't work better, and certainly the fact that one pack survived X Y or Z conditions means absolutely nothing about which packs would not have made it.

boom

WKR
my Mystery ranch feels like a tank. i've sat on it for hours in desert stuff..pokey desert stuff. i'm okay with a bit of added weight for the security.

duchntr

WKR
Speaking from experience with both Kifaru and Seek, I guess I wouldn't put them in a different durability category. Both will get you by for a lifetime of woods hunting IMO. Order both see what FITS you best and keep it.

I'd echo the sentiments above. Weight and durability, while important, are not an "either/or" situation when it comes to top tier packs like Kifaru, SG and Seek Outside. Any of them are going to provide you a pack that's durable and lightweight. That being considered, you need to decide if the pack's layout (pockets, pouches) works for you. You also need something that's comfortable because it won't matter how durable the pack is when it's being left behind in the truck because it beat your hips to hell.

DWinVA

WKR
I'm in VA and have used my EXO (original frame) a lot like you describe. It's hauled stands and steps in to hang on, it's hauled my Summit climber as well as packed out multiple whitetails. It's also been to CO twice on archery elk hunts and carried up to 80 lbs. during the summers training for those hunts. I think it is a good balance of lightweight and durability. I can't imagine any of the big 3-4 pack makers have durability issues. There's always a chance you could get a bad stitch or two with any of them but all of them will take care of it if that happens.

Good luck.

God Bless.

mvmnts

WKR
As far as I know, Seek Outside makes some good stuff and they are towards the lighter end of the spectrum. Dave Chenault has written about Seek Outside packs a LOT on his blog, just do a search for "Seek Outside" and he has lots of write-ups on basically all of their packs. I think he is mostly a hiker but he also hunts as well.

Seek Outside pack buying guide | Bedrock & Paradox

texag10

WKR
I'll agree with the above posters that I don't think you give up much, if any, durability with Seek Outside. I haven't had my revo frame and fortress bag (expedition olive fabric) for long, but I regularly have to just push through branches and thorny vines while wearing my pack. It doesn't look any different than new.

I recently discovered Seek outside packss after using all the others for years. Bar none, the most comfortable pack I have ever used!! I definitely would not panic on durability either. They are extremely well made, designed, and carry like a dream. Any questions or concerns shoot me a PM.

JIM

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
A heavier pack may not be more durable. It may just have more pockets, seams, zips, and mounting straps which add weight.

I've used a ton of packs over time, and today I'll take a simple single compartment roll top pack with some small pockets to save weight and reduce failures every time. Simpler construction and fewer zips is not only lighter, it also means less chance of blowing out a seam, having a zipper failure in a critical compartment, or other problems.

The nylon materials today are extremely strong and abrasion resistant. There is no reason to think that a pack can't be lightweight and strong at the same time. I wouldn't discount a pack just because it is lightweight. I'd look at it in terms of hauling ability and the basic features you need for the intended task. Being heavy is actually a huge warning flag for me that it has a lot of stuff I don't need or want in a pack.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I wasn't trying to say that Seek Outside doesn't build a robust product. I have a Seek Outside 16 man Tipi and I love it. I was just trying to compare a pack designed more for the "ultralight" crowd vs a pack with more emphasis on "heavy duty" stuff.

Im trying to talk myself into "needing" the Kifaru, when Im thinking that I could probably get away with a lighter duty type of pack for how i intend to use it 90% of the time.

I'm trying to talk myself into "needing" the Kifaru, when Im thinking that I could probably get away with a lighter duty type of pack for how i intend to use it 90% of the time.

That's like saying I'm trying to talk myself into a 4wd when a Yugo will do. You won't know you need it til you need it.

Buy once, cry once. With Kifaru gear you never have to wonder

Being from PA my suggestion is gonna be to go lighter and shorter. I love my 26'' Kifaru but it's a pain in the nuts to hunt in.

LBFowler

WKR
I wasn't trying to say that Seek Outside doesn't build a robust product. I have a Seek Outside 16 man Tipi and I love it. I was just trying to compare a pack designed more for the "ultralight" crowd vs a pack with more emphasis on "heavy duty" stuff.

Im trying to talk myself into "needing" the Kifaru, when Im thinking that I could probably get away with a lighter duty type of pack for how i intend to use it 90% of the time.

There you go again, lighter does not mean "lighter duty" any more then heavy means "heavy duty"

chas

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from PA and use a 2nd gen. Exo Mountain 3500 pack. Haul stands, day pack, and out west in WY I packed a mule deer. Work out with a 50 lb in the bag, never an issue. Like it a lot. Looking at a SG 6900 for Colorado 10 day pack-in. The 3500 is a great day two, three day bag, it's light durable and designed well.