Which pack for back country elk hunting?

I'm just getting into elk hunting and need more information on what size pack I will need. I've researched for months and I have narrowed the packs down to the EMR II, AMR or Mountain Warrior. I'm not a big guy, 5'7'', 130 lbs. I've come to the conclusion that multiple trips will be in the cards when hunting in the back country. All the forums/threads keep saying to go bigger but is a 10,000 cubic inch bag necessary when I know there's no way I'll be able to carry the entire pack when fully loaded? (gear included) I like the layout/design of the Mountain Warrior the best but I'm a little hesitant because of the size. Being a short guy and all things equal, will carrying heavier loads be easier expanding out or up? (EMR II vs AMR/Mountain Warrior) Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

i think you will have no problem with any of your choices, and,, you won't be able to lift any of them if full of meat.
it comes down to what you like in a bag
i like all of them, i have a MW and love the panel loader, however i did get a spotter for the coming season so i could see the emrII getting the nod, but i don't have that pack, yet.
to me its out of those two, but plenty of guys love that amr
make a gear list and imagine packing each pack , plenty of vids and pics to imagine what it would look like, then pick one, use it for a year, get bored, sell it, and get another one...

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it'll depend on what bag you like as well. The EMR has a lot of straps on it.. the 3 horizontals that go all the way around and handle anything strapped to them. Just strap and go, however it turns into a cluster sometimes because of all the straps. I ran the AMR last year with a spotter pocket and guide lid. I liked that bag a lot and it's a monster. Collapses well in day mode as well. This year I switched to the Reckoning, may want to check that bag out too. It's legit, I'll have a few videos of it uploaded today hopefully. I wouldn't be too worried on the mountain warrior.. you can add a guide lid for 1200 ci, then any pockets you want for the sides and add quite an addition in ci.

You'll want to expand way more up than out for packing, regardless of how much weight.. but especially when you have a lot of weight. Bulky light stuff the bottom 1/3 of the bag (sleeping bag, clothes, freeze dried, etc), then heaviest the top 2/3 so it sits right square into your back (food,water,meat), then everything else that is "medium" weight stuff around the heavy things.

Let me know if you have an specific questions.

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

The bigger bag isn't just for heavier items. I've found the bigger bag (I run the AMR) is nicer for bulky items and less worry about "perfect packing".

When I tried smaller sized bags I found I could fit my stuff in there if I packed it just right and certain items had specific places to make everything fit. With the AMR just load it up and go. Sure, lighter items like my sleeping bag and woobie need to be loaded on the bottom but the rest of the items have no "perfect place" they to need to ride because of a limited space.

ScottinPA

WKR
I'm a little more vertically challenged than you (5'6") and I have a MW on the way. I think it'll be a good compromise between the EMR2 and Reckoning/Woodsman. Based on research it should compress well for day mode but handle 7 days too. If I need to go longer, add pockets or a dry bag between frame and bag. That's the theory anyhow, need to put into practice once it arrives.

FlyGuy

WKR
How many days do you expect to hunt at a time?

I just went to the Kifaru show room last week while in Denver for work to get fitted for a frame ask the same questions about bags. For me, 5-7 day trips, mostly during archery. I settled on The Reckoning, but other choices were the mountain warrior or the DT2. I liked the reckoning b/c of flexibility to collapse for 1-2 night scouting trips, or expand for a rare 9-10 day trip (With a lid).

Also, it can be slightly more complicated to pack your bag if it is just big enough to hold all your gear, whereas with a little larger bag you don't have to be quite as meticulous. Not a big deal, but something to think about. On the flip side, with a small size bag - you really can't overpack with unnecessary gear and/or clothing - something I struggle with.

IdahoElk

WKR
Do you plan on hunting out of a spike camp or doing the Bivy thing? how many days will you stay in?

tttoadman

WKR
I love the big pocket on the MW. I always have a grabit and a lid, so the bag just disappears in hunt mode. My brother is about your size. He picked up a bikini frame, markhor bag, and a guide lid. He is totally happy. If you aren't going to be packing more than about 80lb, a bikini or a 24" hunter frame is probably good for you. These can be found on the classifieds pretty often.

OP
D
Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. I plan on hunting up to 10 days. Most of my hunts will be 3-7 day spike camps. For those who have the reckoning, is the bag too "strappy" with 9 compression straps?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. I plan on hunting up to 10 days. Most of my hunts will be 3-7 day spike camps. For those who have the reckoning, is the bag too "strappy" with 9 compression straps?

Not NEAR as strappy as the EMR... to get in that thing you have to undo about all the buckles. With the Reckoning, You can get in and out of the bag with the center zip. Most of the time only unbuckling one or two buckles.. and they're the rear buckles so you don't lose compression of the bag. I'll have a 3 part reckoning video up on the Rokslide YouTube in the morning. Maybe it'll help.

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Jordan on this one. The other bag I really like is the T1.

The main reason those are two of my favorites is the attached side pockets for my spotter and tripod.

KurtR

WKR
Been running the reckoning for a couple months now and I am a novice pack guy and it is simple to get in and out of. I have it on a 24" frame and have loaded it with 80 pounds and have to say if I need more of anything for elk hunting I will have to buy a horse.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Just looked at the "Reconing" pack by Kifaru. Definitely a contender for backcountry elk hunting. I'm rockin an Exo 3500 right now but always looking for a new pack

I wish they would have a fitment video of how a bag is supposed to fit with someone who is already carrying a few extra pounds. Every video I've seen has thin/really fit guys showing how to put it on. What if your hips don't stick out enough to help hold the bag? Just keep tightening the strap? I'm at the point now I need a ratchet on my Kuiu pack to get it any tighter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

deerreaper, I second Jordon on the Reckoning. I think it's a perfect medium between the MW and AMR/EMR2. There are lots of cool features in the pack that I wish existed on some other packs. I think for someone your size, unless you are Luke Moffat, you aren't going to be filling up an AMR and hauling it around. The MW will work great for you too, but you will have to be more careful about what/how you are packing in order to get 10 days in it. Also, it kind of depends on the quality of the rest of your gear. A lot of cheaper gear can be relatively light if you are willing to add some bulk. Sleeping bags for instance 650 fill vs 850 fill is a big difference on bulk but only a little on weight. If you can only afford a 650 fill bag for now, you may need the extra room. The good news about Kifaru bags is that they retain value and are modular so you can even try something like adding large side pockets and a guide lid to a MW and getting another 3000ci or so. The straps on Kifaru bags are intimidating at first, but you get used to it and they are there for good reason and are part of why they compress so well.

I wish they would have a fitment video of how a bag is supposed to fit with someone who is already carrying a few extra pounds. Every video I've seen has thin/really fit guys showing how to put it on. What if your hips don't stick out enough to help hold the bag? Just keep tightening the strap? I'm at the point now I need a ratchet on my Kuiu pack to get it any tighter.

maninthemaze, If you look at some of the older videos with Patrick it may help. He's not exactly a big guy but he certainly isn't Aron either.

[video=youtube;GJQXDvtWbh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQXDvtWbh8[/video]

maninthemaze, If you look at some of the older videos with Patrick it may help. He's not exactly a big guy but he certainly isn't Aron either.

[video=youtube;GJQXDvtWbh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQXDvtWbh8[/video]

That's exactly what I needed. I'm built very similar to Patrick. Maybe a little wider shoulders but similar girth.

Thank you!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I think this is one of those things that is going to be different for everyone. I think the best thing you can do is pick up a bag here on Rokslide used, try it, and run it to see how you like it. If you don't like it, sell it here on Rokslide, and try something else (Being serious). There are literally hundreds of combinations that will work great, it's all about what you like best...

I personally have tried the EMRII, Mountain Warrior, Mountain Rambler, Cargo Panel. I've sold the cargo panel and mountain warrior for pretty much what I paid. I love the EMRII layout, and although "Strappy", doesn't bother me. It will literally collapse down to the size of the frame, or as big as you need it to go, and I love all the side pockets.

i-GNqDtTz-XL.jpg

I've only run the mountain rambler when I thought the rifle scabbard would be a real asset.

I run a 26" hunter frame, and am looking to pick up a 22" UL frame with 22Mag to balance out my stable of packs.