Elk hunting daypack options

AGPank

WKR
I'm considering upgrading my pack with some recent overtime money. I spent my first few years with a daypack from HornHunter. It was a good daypack until I shot something. Then I would have to hike from the backside of the mountain, back to the cabin, get my dads heavy blue internal frame REI pack and hike back and begin the haul. I was wasting an entire trip burning too much time and energy.

I archery hunt from a family cabin in Colorado from 8500-9100 feet. 90% of the places I can find an elk are tough packs out. My goal is a pack that can handle a hind quarter and double as a functional daypack. Last year I tried a 1603 molle frame with a Kuiu ultra 3000. I also tried a kifaru load panel that would work to pack elk with.

The frame is a little heavy, but not bad for comfort. Straps could be more padded. I don't think I would want to go for long hikes under heavy loads. The frame has lots of flexibility for attachment points of straps. I didn't get to test this setup under a real pack load. It did meet my daypack needs, but I need to spend more time setting it up before season.

Where I'm hunting my heavy hauls will be steep, but short .5-1 mile.

I'm considering the following this year.
1. No changes
2. Kifaru and ultralight frame (haven't read many reviews, curious if it addresses comments I've read on the bikini)
3. mystery ranch guide light frame - no reviews, not available
4. mystery ranch wolf alpha - great closeout price, heavy, maybe more pack than I will use
5. Used options (stone glacier, exo, kifaru)

I'm in Florida during the year, not any real options to test these out.

Some pieces I've compiled to go with a frame (but can sell if I go with option 4 or 5)

- kifaru grab it
- kifaru load panel
- Kuiu ultra 3000
- kifaru rendezvous (likely will sell, no need for a bag this big)
- kifaru long hunter lid
- misc med pockets and pull outs.

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru nomad with a grab it and either lid. Pretty versatile setup and an awesome hauler.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Kifaru hunter frame with a DT1 bag. The bag compresses down extremely well. Run a guide lid and 2 large side pockets on the bag and your good to go. Awesome day pack to packing out 100 lbs of meat. The nomad is a great set up also but my DT1 set up isn't going anywhere.

oldgoat

WKR
I'd go with the hunter frame versus UL, but the only difference is the stays. If you bought the UL and didn't like the straight back you could order some aluminum or composite stays and swap them out, it's as easy separating the Velcro and sliding one out and the other in. Lots of choices for packs, but it sounds like you have stuff that would work for daypack already!

I use a KUIU Icon Pro 1850 for my daypack so you can easily pack a quarter out with it. I didn't want to scrunch down a big pack for my daypack since that gets 95% of my time. I'm afraid if I use a bigger pack for my daypack I'd just keep putting more stuff in it for day hunting! I bought their UL 6000 for packing in and also carry the 1850 to switch out for daily hunting and keep my gear/clothing etc. in the 6000 when I pack in. They are a bit more budget friendly and I've not had any problems. You could likely find used frames for the KUIU since they've upgraded the frame recently so some people will likely get the newer one and sell the older one. Their "original" frame did have problems but mine is only a couple years old (2nd version?) and I've not had any issues. If you wanted to scrunch a big one down and wanted max comfort and money is not an issue, I'd look at the Kifaru line just from what I've read and heard about.

The Exo Mountain Gear K2 2000 would work perfectly for the hunts you're describing. I had the chance to test one (a friends) last week with 80 lbs and I was very impressed. If you ever wanted to go bigger, you could purchase the 3500 or 5500 bag only and use the same frame, takes about 2 minutes to change bags.

The Exo Mountain Gear K2 2000 would work perfectly for the hunts you're describing. I had the chance to test one (a friends) last week with 80 lbs and I was very impressed. If you ever wanted to go bigger, you could purchase the 3500 or 5500 bag only and use the same frame, takes about 2 minutes to change bags.

Came here to suggest this. I bought this setup for exactly what you describe.

CorbLand

WKR
Mystery Ranch Metcalf can be found for pretty good deals used and it would be perfect for what you want. Its big enough to haul a quarter but condenses down to a manageable day pack. My only complaint is all the buckles.

I would also look at EXO. I got to see them at the hunt expo this year and I am super impressed. They are comfortable, light and their customer service at the expo was outstanding. Lenny spent the time to talk to be about the packs and show me the features even after I told him I wasn't going to buy one that day.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to 2nd the Kuiu icon pro 1850. I also have the 7200 bag for pack in's and just throw the 1850 bag inside and swap out when I get to camp. I have the newer frame and used it for a 5 day javelina hunt last month. I used the 1850 bag (which is plenty big for a day pack) and I was able to fit an entire Javelina in between the frame and the bag for the 2.5 mile pack back to camp while keeping my gear pig free and also cools the meat on the pack back. No problems for me and I wouldn't hesitate putting an elk quarter in there for sure!
I tried using the 7200 bag all cinched down on a prior mule deer hunt. While the bag does cinch down pretty small, I definitely carried more stuff than I needed and was hard to grab those quick little items I might need while hiking around.. I feel like the Kuiu icon pro system fits my needs to a tee! I know people on this forum bash Kuiu all the time, but for a high quality pack system at a more affordable price, can't beat it in my opinion. Good luck man!

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Is the new MR Wolf Alpha at $380 too good a deal to pass up?

That's around the max I wanted to spend as I could sell some other gear.

I haven't been too crazy about the Kifaru pack design.

CorbLand

WKR
Is the new MR Wolf Alpha at $380 too good a deal to pass up?

That's around the max I wanted to spend as I could sell some other gear.

I haven't been too crazy about the Kifaru pack design.

Wouldn't be a bad deal. I don't have any direct experience with the Wolf Alpha but it seems like a bigger version of the Metcalf. My one concern would be its initial weight. MR isn't know for being the lightest packs but a 8 and half pounds to start is a little high. They have the Cabinet on close out right now too. That would be a great day pack that still leaves you the ability to pack out a quarter.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
I picked up a very nice used condition duplex. It may be overkill for what I'm looking for.

I need to spend some time adjusting the fit. The lumbar pad seems uncomfortable for me.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Some guys are selling their 2016 Exo packs to upgrade to the new 2017. Same frame, just a few tweaks on the bag. Might want to check out a year old Exo 2000 or 3500.

Firehawk

WKR
I used to use a Badlands 2200 for what you ask. About two years ago, I picked up a brand new 2014 EXO 3500 that a friend bought and didn't use. It was awesome and easy to hunt with as a day pack. An entirely different world packing the meat out of a steep canyon. The EXO was significantly better suited to that type of activity.

A few weeks ago I ordered my 2017 EXO 3500 pack while at the Hunt Expo. I loved the changes between mine and the new one. Sold my 2014 pack quickly on the classifieds here and waited "not so patiently" for my new EXO to show up. Yesterday, a "box from heaven" showed up and I now have been able to put my hands on my brand new pack. I can't wait to try it out with some weight etc.

FWIW, I really like my EXO packs.

Have fun deciding. There are a lot of really cool packs out there.

FH

Last edited:

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use a Badlands 2200 for what you ask. About two years ago, I picked up a brand new 2014 EXO 3500 that a friend bought and didn't use. It was awesome and easy to hunt with as a day pack. An entirely different world packing the meat out of a steep canyon. The EXO was significantly better suited to that type of activity.

A few weeks ago I ordered my 2017 EXO 3500 pack while at the Hunt Expo. I loved the changes between mine and the new one. Sold my 2014 pack quickly on the classifieds here and waited so patiently for my new EXO to show up. Yesterday, a "box from heaven" showed up and I now have been able to put my hands on my brand new pack. I can't wait to try it out with some weight etc.

FWIW, I really like my EXO packs.

Have fun deciding. There are a lot of really cool packs out there.

FH

I ordered a new 3500 as well. Can't wait till I get that "box from heaven" at my front door.