Sky Talus 6900 or Kifaru Reckoning

Benjblt

WKR
So what do you guys think? Which is better? I like the idea of carrying meat on the meat shelf, which both can do. Which do you think has the better meat shelf? I would use a dry/meat bag and maybe pack bone-in quarters. It seems like the reckoning might have more space between the bag and the frame.

I think I give the edge in waterproofness to SG. I like the fact that the Kifaru has the ability to add pockets on the outside for organization but the SG 6900 has outside pockets already. I'm wondering if the compression straps makes it more annoying to use the pockets though. With Kifaru you wouldn't have to deal with the compression straps with added outside pockets. I don't see myself using the included, open topped, pockets a ton. The bag of the Reckoning seems to have a more barreled dimension to it which might make it more easy to load in the actual bag. (I could be wrong). As far as the frame and belt, it seems like the SG is just as good as Kifaru (maybe better).

Kotaman

WKR
Horse a piece, depending on which frame fits you better. The Talus X Frame is a little lighter than the Reckoning on the Duplex Hunter.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm waiting for the Wolf Grey Reckoning to come back in stock to order it. Looks like a genius pack to me, and after having the frame for a couple months now I've got it dialed. Makes hauling 80+ lbs much easier than it ever was before. I'd watch Jordan Buds videos on the rokslide YouTube channel. She shows you how all of her gear for 5 days fits in nicely without using the top collar. Compare how you're going to carry your rifle/bow as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
Im really wanting the Reckoning as well. But I'm waiting for more people to get them in hand and post pictures before I make the commitment.

I haven't used the Reckoning, but it borrows several of the layout ideas from the SG. The load cell setup on the SG pack has always been a design feature incorporated into it's initial layout. It works and works extremely well, especially when you combine the SG load cell. For load hauling and comfort, the SG is tops in my book.

I was comparing both of these bags before I sold my kifaru frame. I have not tried either bag but I sure like the zippered side pockets on the SG which also have their own compression straps, I like that over the open top kifaru ones, I have tried one of their bags with that style of pocket and didn't get it. The lid situation with SG seems so much smoother to me. And now that I have tried both, the load shelf is slicker on the SG. Plus the SG is a little bit bigger, a little bit lighter and a little bit cheaper. I changed my decision to SG ST6900 or SOLO3300, totally different bag just trying to decide which one might be better for me. Anyway, just my opinion from research, have not tried either bag.

JigStick

WKR
I wonder if Kifaru would put some drain grommets in the bottom of those side pockets if you asked. I don't really mind the open end of them The side compression straps will snug whatever you have in there down pretty good. So even if you put a long stuff sack in those pockets to keep stuff organized, I don't think it would fall out. I would like a drain hole though.

ljalberta

WKR
I wonder if Kifaru would put some drain grommets in the bottom of those side pockets if you asked. I don't really mind the open end of them The side compression straps will snug whatever you have in there down pretty good. So even if you put a long stuff sack in those pockets to keep stuff organized, I don't think it would fall out. I would like a drain hole though.

They do have a built in drain hole on the side pockets.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well I ordered the SG Sky Talus 6900 with the X-curve. I'll see what I think of it.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Like I mentioned in the PM's, I personally prefer the Reckoning over the Sky Talus bag mostly due to the side pockets. I carry a spotter almost all the time and the SG side pockets where too small.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Yeah. They said that they've increased the size of the side pockets. If they don't fit might spotter (including while the main bag is loaded) I will return the bag and go Kifaru Reckoning.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Like I mentioned in the PM's, I personally prefer the Reckoning over the Sky Talus bag mostly due to the side pockets. I carry a spotter almost all the time and the SG side pockets where too small.

If you can make your gear all fit into the Sky 5900, that huge center pocket will hold your spotter for sure. I love that big pocket on the 5900....hands down the best way I've ever carried my tripod AND spotter. Fast and easy access.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Yeah. They said that they've increased the size of the side pockets. If they don't fit might spotter (including while the main bag is loaded) I will return the bag and go Kifaru Reckoning.

So I just received the pack last night and tried my 80 mm Swaro in the side pocket and it fits, even when the bag is full. . so I'm happy about that. It's a nice bag but I'm going to take it on the treadmill a little to see how I like it.