Woodsman on a 26" tactical loaded/exploded view

92xj

WKR
I wanted a pack I could hike in and stay for 1-7 days, then go into compact day pack mode once camp is set up. I also haul a lot of heavy loads throughout the year. For that reason I decided to try the 26" tactical that I have a cargo panel for load hauling and the woodsman for hunting and hiking trips.
Today I was doing a little organizing and decided to put most of my gear together to fulfill some questions and PMs I have been getting about my set up.
So, I will do my best to describe everything I have in the pictures.
I am lacking a few things that you will notice, but have room to add. The biggest two being food and water, but both easily will fit in the top of the pack. I also don't have my kill kit built how I want it.
On the belt I have a small pouch for GPS and cell phone.
Nalgene bottle holder on the other side.
I have a roll top pod to hold my sleep system on the bottom of the woodsman.
In the pod is a comfy pillow, mega tarp with annex in the 3 string compression sack.
20* extra wide long EE quilt in the 5 string.
Cuban fiber bivy and all stakes for winter camping in the pull out.
On the passenger side of the pack I have a large pouch that holds gaiters, beanie and balaclava.
Between the pouch and bag is where the 634 tripod rides. It also has its own compression strap at the top to hold it in place.
On the drivers side is a spotting scope pocket that holds the vortex spotter and my rain jacket.
On the lower handle of the bag is a modified nomad gun cradle for the rifle. The top of the rifle has it's own compression strap to hold it in place.
In the exploded view of everything, on the left above spotter and rain jacket is pants, hoodie, socks, t-shirt and puffy.
The pullout to the right is my sawyer water kit with 4 rolled up bags inside with everything else in the kit.
Top center small side pocket is a first aid kit, toilet paper and body wipes.
Tag bags and a klymit 30" wide insulated pad in the red.
Cook set, bowl, pot with stove and fuel inside with a spoon.
small pullout is fire stuff.
Clearly there are a few things I am lacking in these pictures but hopefully you guys get the idea of the possibilities of this pack and a different way to set it up. For the most part I can easily pull off a week in the backcountry on my back with this set up. On my hikes in I run 2 64oz bladders that lay inside the pack on top of everything and then my food on top of that, that goes into the snow collar some, but still has a little slack to fold over and buckle down.
The large pouch on the snow collar is for ammo, gloves, and any other randomness.
Anyhow, hope this helps and answers some questions.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
When it was on my 24" frame, just showing the gun holding that I didn't show in the pictures above...
What an awesome pack so far.
I knew I wanted to carry the gun on the back, so I rigged up a nomad cradle on the lower handle and added a gun only compression strap. I also wanted a compression strap for the tripod that didn't compress the bag, added one there. I have a rolltop pod that will fit perfectly under the pack to hold a sleeping bag. Will try and get that added on and take some pictures. If you want more pictures of different angles, let me know. As of right this second, this setup seems like it's going to work great on 1-4 day trips. I'm sure I will play around with it over the weekend and see what else I come up with.

5'10" fat 220lbs (working on that, down 48 so far, come spring bear my goal is 190, anyhow...)
I will be adjusting the gun cradle up a little bit. I did not have any issues walking around the yard or stepping up steps, but maybe a fast pace jog or climbing I could possible tap it with my heel so I'll be playing with it's fit this weekend.

Great looking setup! I like the idea of running the sleep system underneath in a roll top like that.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
When it was on my 24" frame, just showing the gun holding that I didn't show in the pictures above...
I am getting my 24 tactical this week. Been looking for torso fitment pics. Thanks. Y not run the gun on the side? I seen someone loop the barrel under a strap and the sling on the side. He was able to remove the gun with the pack on.. very quickly. Maybe a exo? I plan to sew up something like that. Good pics.

wyodan

WKR
I am getting my 24 tactical this week. Been looking for torso fitment pics. Thanks. Y not run the gun on the side? I seen someone loop the barrel under a strap and the sling on the side. He was able to remove the gun with the pack on.. very quickly. Maybe a exo? I plan to sew up something like that. Good pics.

I run the gun on the side. I use the Gunslinger Corral gun carrier, but I imagine one could sew something up pretty easy to make it work.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Balance for me. Plus I'll be running the gun like the pictures on the hikes in, in the dark or a day before season starts. When hunting and bag is in day mode the gun will be in my hands or on my shoulder ready to grab if needed. Where I hunt it's glass for miles then decide on a plan. When going to glassing spots before light I'd rather have the pack balance than the gun at the ready.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It really helps us new guys. Reading what someone takes and how they load their pack is a great help.

About pack fitment. You stated you were 5'-10" and a fat 220. Does your pack belt run directly over your pants belt. I've been having trouble getting my Kuiu pack to fit right. If I run the pack belt where it's supposed to be, straddling my hip bones, then the pack belt is over my belly button, while my pants belt is 2" down, under my gut. I'm 5'10" and 200. I just bought a Kifaru Duplex, I'm hoping this help with fitment some. Thanks again for the informitive posts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Well, as of this morning I am down to 201. So freaking close to my April 1st goal of under 200. A total of 67 down since July last year. Anyhow, that being said, I still have fat on my gut and a little overhang. I run the belt just like Kifaru says; hip bone splits the belt pads and the buckle is over my belly button. My pants ride below right were the gut starts and any average none weird guy wears his pants. This used to create an issue last year when I was real fat by my pack belt pushing my fat down onto my pant waist and belt pushing them down and I was constantly hip thrusting my pack up off my hips grabbing and pulling my pants up and readjusting. Now that I have lost so much I haven't had that issue at all and everything is riding really well together. Tonight, if I remember, I will load up the pack with some weight, put on my skinny jeans and extra small wife beater, strap up and take a picture.

Also, continue to ask anything and everything. When I was in the process of buying and getting into this stuff I asked a lot but couldn't find a lot of pictures with explanations on how everything would look/feel when bought, loaded and on. So, I am glad this is helping someone.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Crap, I forgot pictures.

I had the 24" frame and the pod did work, it hung down a little but not bad and not low enough to affect my walking. Though I do have the pod loaded to the max with my megatarp, pillow, stakes, bivy and quilt so the size of the pod is at its max. If you didn't run that much in it keeping it a tick smaller it would be a better fit on the 24.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Correct, the bigger of the two they sell, though I only see small on the website right now.