Kifaru Cardio

I am walking a couple miles each day with my Duplex loaded to 33 lbs. It's close to what I will be going in with. All I am missing from it is the Mtn House meals (7) and TP, Water pump, pad and pillow. These probably will be another 5 lbs. I'm trying to stay under 40 lbs for my 5 - 7 day'er.

I noticed the waist bely was squishing my hips so bad I was cramping in less than 1/4 mile.
I have a toasted back and thought maybe I wasn't gonna be able to go that far in to the mountains. But I shifted the belt "WAY" up almost covering my belly button, and every bit of pain left.

I knew these were to ride above the hip, but didn't realize that high was what was needed. It was well into my lower ribs.
For me that's where it rode best and I was motoring on like a teen ager. I covered almost 3 miles in 30 minutes, which for an old man is good enough for me. Keep in mind it was the side of the road and not over trees, downfall and creeks.

Trying to be ready for August.

I'm loaded up on the Tahr with 5 additional pockets (2 spotters, 2 large and one small belt) and a guide lid, to get everything crammed in there.

Anyway no squeeking or rubbing from the pack. Stayed good and tight and only recinched a couple times.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The center stitching on your belt should go right across to top of your hip bones which also usually aligns the buckle across your belly button.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I am walking a couple miles each day with my Duplex loaded to 33 lbs. It's close to what I will be going in with. All I am missing from it is the Mtn House meals (7) and TP, Water pump, pad and pillow. These probably will be another 5 lbs. I'm trying to stay under 40 lbs for my 5 - 7 day'er.

I noticed the waist bely was squishing my hips so bad I was cramping in less than 1/4 mile.
I have a toasted back and thought maybe I wasn't gonna be able to go that far in to the mountains. But I shifted the belt "WAY" up almost covering my belly button, and every bit of pain left.

I knew these were to ride above the hip, but didn't realize that high was what was needed. It was well into my lower ribs.
For me that's where it rode best and I was motoring on like a teen ager. I covered almost 3 miles in 30 minutes, which for an old man is good enough for me. Keep in mind it was the side of the road and not over trees, downfall and creeks.

Trying to be ready for August.

I'm loaded up on the Tahr with 5 additional pockets (2 spotters, 2 large and one small belt) and a guide lid, to get everything crammed in there.

Anyway no squeeking or rubbing from the pack. Stayed good and tight and only recinched a couple times.

I had close to the same experience with my pack as well. It caused pain/cramps in the sides of my hips. Couldn't believe how high I had to put it, but I was comparing to other day hunting packs. Threw everything I thought I knew out the window and listened to the kifaru guys. Putting weight up higher and the waist belt above center over my hips makes it surprisingly easy. I put a 60lb ish sand bag on and went for a few kilometers. I'm now a believer! One of my best purchases.

Also training for late August! Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Thx Aron, Good talking with you and I appreciate the one on one.

Hank I have the tipi and sleeping bag at bottom, then the titanium stove and possibles on those. Down the side spotting pockets is my cook stove, fuel cans, etc. I thought I had the weight set right?
I will keep trying to break in my hips and see how it goes, maybe move some stuff even higher.
Problem is I have the Tahr and it is only so high for all I am running lol

I may have to het the AMR- Ive been wanting it anyway, more like a 2 story house than my lil tahr condo.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
If you are at 33# without 7 days of food water and a pad, I would guess you may be closer to 50# final wt. Than 40#. Regardless, get fit right with Aaron and would recommend building up your pack weight over time. 6mi an hour is a pretty good clip IMO. I suppose it is fine for training but I would never "hunt" that fast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I would also look into the Reckoning, that's the one I'm after now. Just waiting for Wolf Grey to come back in stock. Seems like an excellent all around bag, and the zip in the front should make it easier to access in comparison to the AMR. All personal preference though, they're all awesome.

OP
mfllood3800
If you are at 33# without 7 days of food water and a pad, I would guess you may be closer to 50# final wt. Than 40#. Regardless, get fit right with Aaron and would recommend building up your pack weight over time. 6mi an hour is a pretty good clip IMO. I suppose it is fine for training but I would never "hunt" that fast.

I got some of my dehydrated food in and each days only weighs 3.2 oz. I will have 10 total and that's only 2 lbs. Of course I will have protein bars too. So I hope the pack will still only be around 40.

It currently has the 2l bladder in it and it is already full at this weight, as I have been training in it as I need the H2O. So that helps keep me near my goal.

I just ordered some Kifaru stuff sacks to reduce weight more as my sleeping bag uses a very robust sack.

I don't hunt at this pace, no lol. Would be hard to see anything, but when I train I take huge steps on purpose and keep the pace fast to build cardio. I live at 6000' so I am not quite as high as where I hunt. Here in Utah I hunt at 10,000-11,000', and plan on Idaho Elk this year as well around same altitude, so I am getting my breathing going early.

I looked at the reckoning too- great pack as you stated. I think it is in the Rhino den too isn't it? Like $150 ??

OP
mfllood3800
I have 10 of these for a 5 day. Half are breakfast meals which are even lighter I think all together they weigh - 26 oz. Not even 2 lbs. That puts me at 35 lbs with all my main meals. Plus I stated I'll have protein bars, these are right at 1 oz each x 10=20 oz. Total 36.2 lbs . I am gonna make some elk jerkey too and see how much I can get away with. It is also open season on birds there as well as a 3 day trout license that comes with the elk tag if I want to stretch this to the 7 day hunt. Hopefully I'll be fine. It's not the end of the world if I hit 42 lbs lol
But want to keep it at 40 if possible. I still have around 4 more lbs to play with. The big weight is the water, which as I stated is already in the weight of my pack currently at 33#s. Plus I have a 6L bag (unfilled of course) in the pack for camp water.
Any suggestions on reducing weight even more?

OP
mfllood3800
Live2hunt- The belt buckle is right on my BButton, yet the bottom of belt, after I moved it up, was on top of my hip bone- this felt best for me at this point. Aron said to try and get used to it in its proper place and if need ride it high, and lower the shoulder straps, which I did already.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 10 of these for a 5 day. Half are breakfast meals which are even lighter I think all together they weigh - 26 oz. Not even 2 lbs. That puts me at 35 lbs with all my main meals. Plus I stated I'll have protein bars, these are right at 1 oz each x 10=20 oz. Total 36.2 lbs . I am gonna make some elk jerkey too and see how much I can get away with. It is also open season on birds there as well as a 3 day trout license that comes with the elk tag if I want to stretch this to the 7 day hunt. Hopefully I'll be fine. It's not the end of the world if I hit 42 lbs lol
But want to keep it at 40 if possible. I still have around 4 more lbs to play with. The big weight is the water, which as I stated is already in the weight of my pack currently at 33#s. Plus I have a 6L bag (unfilled of course) in the pack for camp water.
Any suggestions on reducing weight even more?
I don't know about reducing weight but you likely need to increase your calorie intake. I go pretty light on food and I'm still 1.5+ lbs per day and running a pretty heavy calorie deficit for the time I'm out.

OP
mfllood3800
I guess I'll have to make a bunch of jerky then. The Back packer dehydrated meals are for breakfast and supper. the protein bars and jerkey were for lunch and in betweens. When I hunt the Utah mountains, that's all Ive needed. I go fishing and usually eat 3 trout every 3 days and mountain chickens when in the area. I am not sue what the dehydrated meals add up to once the water is in them, but probably close to 1.3 lbs each (supper). The breakfast ones seem like they are only .75 - 1 lb each. I looked at the protein and carbs and sodium on these and they vary significantly. As always the miles walked play a big role.
I appreciate the input, Seems like Idaho will be a bit steeper than my Utah hunts. I will need more food.

OP
mfllood3800
I'll show the wife this thread and tell her, "see I do need the bigger pack, I need more food" lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I'll have to make a bunch of jerky then. The Back packer dehydrated meals are for breakfast and supper. the protein bars and jerkey were for lunch and in betweens. When I hunt the Utah mountains, that's all Ive needed. I go fishing and usually eat 3 trout every 3 days and mountain chickens when in the area. I am not sue what the dehydrated meals add up to once the water is in them, but probably close to 1.3 lbs each (supper). The breakfast ones seem like they are only .75 - 1 lb each. I looked at the protein and carbs and sodium on these and they vary significantly. As always the miles walked play a big role.
I appreciate the input, Seems like Idaho will be a bit steeper than my Utah hunts. I will need more food.
We all use dehydrated meals too and my weight is 1.5 lbs dry weight. Jerky is OK but has a very low weight to calorie ratio. Pepperoni is much better, or even summer sausage.

I don't know about reducing weight but you likely need to increase your calorie intake. I go pretty light on food and I'm still 1.5+ lbs per day and running a pretty heavy calorie deficit for the time I'm out.

Not that you would want to do it, but even if you ate 3 mountain house (12-16oz weight) per day that's only 1500-1800 kcals per day, which isn't good when, depending on how hard you hunt, you're probably burning 4000-6000+. The average protein bar probably has around 250 kcals and weighs 3oz or so and a 3.5oz bag of jerky has 240 kcals.

OP
mfllood3800
I've been mountain hunting old school for 5 yrs. This kifaru us my first pack allowing me to hike in and set up up camp and go from there fir more than 3 days.
I have always hunted 1-3
Days
I'm not a rookie but always open to suggestions

I've been mountain hunting old school for 5 yrs. This kifaru us my first pack allowing me to hike in and set up up camp and go from there fir more than 3 days.
I have always hunted 1-3
Days
I'm not a rookie but always open to suggestions

For 5 days it will be fine. On the 6th day you will know if you need to adjust your food intake for the next trip, maybe sooner depending.