Kifaru Cardio

OP
mfllood3800
That's about my plan. 5 days maybe 7. Depends on water and how dry this summer gets there. What I plan to bring is what I use here in our mountains, and just adding the extra per day I normally use - so I am hoping I will be ok. The truck will be a few miles away and ready if need be. I have Mtn Ops drinks and whey protein as well so its all good. I would rather have more than less. I normally eat 2 meals a day but in the mountains I snack and drink more water a lot more just fight altitude.

For 5 days it will be fine. On the 6th day you will know if you need to adjust your food intake for the next trip, maybe sooner depending.

Agreed; the other problem is that there is little margin for error. What if something goes wrong, you get snowed in or kill an elk on the last evening? Not much room to stretch your food for an extra day or two. Granted someone with extreme bushcraft skills would be just fine; but just be cognoscente of your own skills and limits and make sure to leave some margin. We all react to lack of food differently as well; I'd suggest trying it knowing that you will be working twice as hard during a hunt as you would on a scouting trip. The last thing you want to do is to end a trip early because you didn't carry an extra 3lbs of food. I always eat like a king the last night of any backpacking trip.

Agreed; the other problem is that there is little margin for error. What if something goes wrong, you get snowed in or kill an elk on the last evening? Not much room to stretch your food for an extra day or two. Granted someone with extreme bushcraft skills would be just fine; but just be cognoscente of your own skills and limits and make sure to leave some margin. We all react to lack of food differently as well; I'd suggest trying it knowing that you will be working twice as hard during a hunt as you would on a scouting trip. The last thing you want to do is to end a trip early because you didn't carry an extra 3lbs of food. I always eat like a king the last night of any backpacking trip.

Oh I am always carrying more food then I need. It somehow always gets eaten though .

OP
mfllood3800
All good points Colineman- I plan on fishing, and sticking birds as well.
If I get one my last night- I'm definitely eating like a king if it aint to hot.
;)

Then heading to the truck with BOMB bags full and replenishing as needed.

I grew up white tail hunting in mid west. We have always utilized the forest and streams for food. Usually cause we couldn't afford all the fancy snacks. My dad raised us as trappers and hunters and have been at it for 40 yrs. I feel very comfortable in the wilderness. I hunt solo, and enjoy the full experience of the hunt.
Again thx for the input gents.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread got pretty well sidetracked but we just don't want you to ruin your hunt for lack of food. Believe me if I could do 5 days for 2 lbs I'd be all over that. I was at 12-13 lbs for 8 days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This thread got pretty well sidetracked but we just don't want you to ruin your hunt for lack of food. Believe me if I could do 5 days for 2 lbs I'd be all over that. I was at 12-13 lbs for 8 days.

Well, I'm fat so I probably could; my efficiency towards then end might be a little low though.

OP
mfllood3800
No its great info- I will be taking more food. I'm a small eater, but the last thing I want is to miss the last day or two simply cause I cant energize. Your guys opinions are appreciated- I really value them. I will still try to keep the pack around 40 lbs. But I will also add more food to my plan.
I just know what I eat and what I can do- but like Colineman says- there could be issues I haven't seen coming.
I'm a fit hiker, but not a dumb one
Thx sirs

BuckSnort

WKR
A little off topic but you asked for suggestions...

It sounds like you are packing a lot of freeze dried/dehydrated meals like Mountain House... Some people can eat them days on end, I'm not one of them.. By the third day I'm sick of them and even forcing myself to try to eat them is hard..

Idahoan brand dehydrated mashed potatoes are pretty good as well as stove top stuffing, both are super fast and easy and full of calories.. Tuna/Salmon packets into Ramen noodles is a good meal also.. Just giving you some suggestions so you can mix it up a little.. After the 3rd day of mountain house you will turn native and start looking for game to kill and eat lol..

OP
mfllood3800
Buck
Yea I can handle them for about 5 days
I'm actually eating back Packers pantry meals instead of mtn house
Same principle but I think a bit better
I bought a dehydrator last year and will try to do a little bit of my own meals to make it less sodium and a bit healthier I am looking into some of my own meals I like the idea of stovetop no I need proteins or I get shaky so I tried to load up on the meat and peanut butter type carbs thanks for the suggestion I do appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
UPDATE
Pack rode great for a 3 mile walk. I slowly lowered it to tech book location. Aron said sometimes the user has to get used to the way a proper frame will ride with these types of belts. I actually think I had it a bit low at first and then just slightly higher than normal due to the hip pressure.
Yesterday I set it where it should be, left it a bit lose and it was great for the whole walk.

I live in a hunting community but still get some long looks as I am leaving my house heading out to the farm roads. I guess most of these hunters are road hunters, never saw a guy with a pack on
lol

i really like hiking with 60lbs+ all year long, i take days off as well and just walk with no pack, but mostly i have 60lbs
especially if you are hiking around on roads and sidewalks around your home,i have one hill i can use but no mountain terrain, so i use a heavier pack, that way when i am off trail with a 20-40lb pack for day or bc hunts i barely notice it, like others mentioned when hunting you travel much slower pace, so i barely notice a 40lb pack, but when you have been carrying a 60lb pack at a brisk walk all year long, it makes it so much easier...
i had to get used to the kifaru pack and the fit at first as well, it was easy transition though, i still feel sometimes i have the pack to high on my hips but when it lowers down you can tell,,, raise it up and you barely notice 60lbs on your back

OP
mfllood3800
Exactly. I am at 33 lbs and will be increasing it shortly. I have a 6L hydro bladder that will up it by about 10 lbs. When I set Cameras I really get my cardio going just to check them. Its usually about 3 miles at 11,000' and very steep in 2 different locations. Right now, I'm letting this pack break me in. Slowly....
Neurologist tells me my back is unrepairable and need to limit what I do. I decided he meant I needed a better frame to haul my elk out- hello Kifaru