which Kifaru for 5-7 day hunts

Which Kifaru should i get for 6-7 day hunts? Considering the Reckoning, Woodsmen, AMR, or Mountain Warrior. Guide lid,

Kotaman

WKR
I have all of the above bags, and for 5-7 the Mountain Warrior is my favorite. AMR for the 10 plus day stuff for me. Just sold my Reckoning a couple days ago, as I couldn't find a use for it that I didn't already have covered. Reckoning is a great pack though, I just don't love horizontal straps.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out my Reckoning videos on Rokslide YouTube channel. 3 parts. That's the bag I'd recommend.

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

Although it's not as sexy as some of the other offerings, I used my Argali for everything from day trips to 7 day solo hunts this past year. I fitted mine with a guide lid, a medium pouch and an admin pouch on the back. After a few trips I usually left the guide lid in the truck and just used the fold over method which worked well for me.

That said, I can really see the advantage of a pack like the Reckoning. Quick access to larger items (like your puffy jacket) is not a strength of the Argali.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
That said, I can really see the advantage of a pack like the Reckoning. Quick access to larger items (like your puffy jacket) is not a strength of the Argali.

I can't speak specifically to those bags, but I can speak to one feature. I have a kifaru frame and have settled on getting a Reckoning, mainly because of the center zip. I got a backpacking bag with a u-zip when I turned 18 and haven't bought a bag without a U/Center/Side zip for the last 12 years. It might be lack of organization skills on my part but now that I pack using a center zip I would struggle going back to the fill from the top. The side pockets are why I'm going with the Reckoning over the Mountain Warrior(even though I like a U-zip over a center).

Last edited:
After trying almost every bag in the Kifaru line up.....I can't find a better bag than the AMR for my needs. It's big enough to carry anything and everything you'd ever want. The side straps cinch it down nicely for a sleek day trip bag leaving just the large back pockets exposed for gear. There's no need to wonder how items will fit inside the bag because the large top opening swallows everything and less attention to perfect packing is needed.

I'm surprised people are so willing to give you their opinion on how to spend $300 with so little information! You can't just ask "what pack should I get" and expect strangers to have good suggestions. At the very least, we need a lot more info than this. But still, there is sooo much personal preference that you just have to figure out what works for you. If you've not done this sort of thing before, buy something you can resell when you get back (Kifaru holds resale value well).

Looking back at your posts, it looks like you are planning a SD mule deer hunt. Are you hunting from a truck? Hiking in to a base camp? Bivy hunting the whole time? Do you need to carry a spotter? How much other stuff are you carrying? Do you have partners carrying shared items, like tents, cookware, etc?

If I were only going to be out for 7 days, carrying everything I need for 7 days (september elk), I'd be getting the woodsman and guide lid with a pocket or 2. For the way I hunt and pack, I would only need a ~4500 cubic inch pack for 7 days or so. The MW and AMR are just too big for me (on that length of trip).

Besides thinking about space, as others have mentioned, you got to think about how you like to organize stuff. Do you like lots of pockets, or do you like one big bag? Are you ok with adding pockets on the sides and having a wide pack, or do you like something tall and skinny? Where do you like to put your meat when you are packing--inside, outside, or meat shelf?

There are soooo many variables to think about (which is half the fun). Plus, it's not like you are going to put a ring on it--try it out for a few months, then trade it in for a newer model that fits your needs better!

I agree with mrbill
I have the Tahr which gets me to 5 days
But that AMR is awesome for any thing, plus reduces to and day pack size frame

The AMR, is my next pack
I will use my spotters on the side and be set for 10 days

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Couldn't stand it, just ordered it
Ill use the Tahr for local elk hunt asks the AMR for my extended back country hunts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
S
@Freebird. Sorry for being so vague with my question. My mule deer hunt is going to be a 7 day bivy hunt. Yes I'm a fan of pockets, i hate having everything in a pile in my bag. I like to have things organized. This pack will be used for similar durations next fall for elk and spring bear as well.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Freebird. Sorry for being so vague with my question. My mule deer hunt is going to be a 7 day bivy hunt. Yes I'm a fan of pockets, i hate having everything in a pile in my bag. I like to have things organized. This pack will be used for similar durations next fall for elk and spring bear as well.

I still stand my my reckoning recommendation. Or the DT2 depending on how you like your pocket layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR

If you are still planning a SD mule deer hunt slot of the public land does not allow camping make sure to check. Walk in is a for sure no.

Tsnider

WKR
im new to the kifaru stuff, but my EMR II is the shit. Ill be using it from 3 day hunts to 10 day hunts. when you use the outter wings as a day pack it really is impressive how small it gets. im suprised its not recommended more often.

at some point ill maybe get a smaller bag for shorter hunts but i see no real reason to at this point.

A Nomad/Camp Bag/Guide Lid combo will get it done well. I love being able to dump camp and take off hunting without having to rearrange things.

UL Pullouts work great for organizing things in a big bag without adding a bunch of weight.

Definitely the AMR! With everything I'm at 11,500ci and you'd have no idea when it's in daypack mode. IMO it's the best all round one and done pack!

I have 2 AMR's and 1 Tahr.
I had the Tahr loaded with extra spotting scopes and a guide lid as well as 2 large belt pouches. I was able to cram my gear/ food for a 5 day in it.
But not 7. Yes that extra 2 days worth of food would not fit.

So I got an AMR and put the guide lid on it and ran the spotters up each side.
OM gosh....
I have enough room for a solo 7-10 day hunt. This includes the tipi, stove and stuff you would normally split with others, but it will do it.
I have that thing compressed down into day pack mode and it looks like my tahr when it is compressed.

Wiser than me people on here tried to talk me into a bigger pack than I wanted ( I was concerned about the day pack mode), but their advice was spot on. Get bigger, then compress it when not needed, but get bigger. AMR, Reconing or MW for a 5+ hunt