KIFARU Reckoning Backpack Review, by Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
349b514e11ebf8192ae7c61ca991a126.jpg

Got a native to hook on the Reckoning. Using it as a lid is AWESOME. I wasn't sure at first but after using it I'm really impressed. I'm going to be a lot more apt to use this as a glassing pack than the guide lid. If your on the fence about it, I'd recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR

Got a native to hook on the Reckoning. Using it as a lid is AWESOME. I wasn't sure at first but after using it I'm really impressed. I'm going to be a lot more apt to use this as a glassing pack than the guide lid. If your on the fence about it, I'd recommend it!

Could you strap your bow between the two?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you strap your bow between the two?

You could. Here are some pics. Probably depending on your bow/quiver, I had to take my quiver off to fit a strap through. But I don't mind strapping my quiver to the side anyways. One strap goes in between my cables, so I'd make sure the strap isn't digging into a string or cable before I went too far.

I have the native hooked up to the plastic tab loops at the top of the frame with a 3 bar slider and male buckle attached. If the bag is full you'll have to have top expansion to have the native fit nicely over the bow. It'll work though.

9bd33723e5faa75e973070be4a594f55.jpg
50cd505b317c1166e003ea0932bfa6ed.jpg
59aed214e5035dbd136e0c15d90d8e1e.jpg
d690eaf9db520f88c20cebd4a1d5bf0d.jpg

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
any reason you couldnt run a water bladder in the native in that configuration? would the hose be too short?

You could, I really doubt the hose would be too short. At least on a regular camelback bladder. I can test and take pics tomorrow. Only problem I see with that is the bladder weight will be a ways back. Probably not a huge deal unless it's a big full bladder and the main bag is full.

You could, I really doubt the hose would be too short. At least on a regular camelback bladder. I can test and take pics tomorrow. Only problem I see with that is the bladder weight will be a ways back. Probably not a huge deal unless it's a big full bladder and the main bag is full.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd get back to us on this. My reckoning will be here tomorrow, & I think putting the bladder between the frame & bag will be great with my hunting frame, but if the bladder would work on the reckoning & native, that would be perfect for my bikini frame. Thanx alot Jordan, your review on the reckoning really sold me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd really appreciate it if you'd get back to us on this. My reckoning will be here tomorrow, & I think putting the bladder between the frame & bag will be great with my hunting frame, but if the bladder would work on the reckoning & native, that would be perfect for my bikini frame. Thanx alot Jordan, your review on the reckoning really sold me.

Here is a picture with the bladder hose out of the native attached to the Reckoning. It's plenty long as you can see, longer than I thought it'd be actually. I expanded the native a ways out backwards as well and the hose is still long enough.
ede6907df92c2946656add0c867a2f3e.jpg

Got my reckoning in today & I was really disappointed @ first trying to get my bladder in & out between the frame & pack, but now after messin around with it for awhile I'm happy again. Thanx again Jordan for the demo & you just sold a native.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my reckoning in today & I was really disappointed @ first trying to get my bladder in & out between the frame & pack, but now after messin around with it for awhile I'm happy again. Thanx again Jordan for the demo & you just sold a native.

You bet! I think you'll really like it. For the bladder in the reck I keep the bag on the frame, then unhook one side of straps and slide it in and out. Works pretty good once you get the hang of it like you say.

Kifaru Reckoning question

Thanks for a great review, written and video, Jordan. Question for anyone: After years of using a Kifaru Late Season, I'm finally upgrading to an external frame set-up and have a Reckoning on order. (This was after hours of consideration and 3 calls to Kifaru!) I was especially interested in Jordan's last video that covers the pack in day-mode. Here is my question... Has anyone noticed any significant restrictions, due the size of the external frame, in navigating dead-falls and rough terrain--basically anything you would need to high step over. My Late Season was an internal frame pack with 22" stays and it worked out fine in the mountains. I'm 5'7" and ordered the 24" frame. Hoping that in day-mode I won't feel like I'm wearing "front door" on my back. Very excited to put my new pack to the test on an elk hunt in Wyoming this Sept after 4 years of earning lottery points. Going to be a full load in and day hunting with it in some nasty terrain... and praying for a very heavy load out! Thanks!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for a great review, written and video, Jordan. Question for anyone: After years of using a Kifaru Late Season, I'm finally upgrading to an external frame set-up and have a Reckoning on order. (This was after hours of consideration and 3 calls to Kifaru!) I was especially interested in Jordan's last video that covers the pack in day-mode. Here is my question... Has anyone noticed any significant restrictions, due the size of the external frame, in navigating dead-falls and rough terrain--basically anything you would need to high step over. My Late Season was an internal frame pack with 22" stays and it worked out fine in the mountains. I'm 5'7" and ordered the 24" frame. Hoping that in day-mode I won't feel like I'm wearing "front door" on my back. Very excited to put my new pack to the test on an elk hunt in Wyoming this Sept after 4 years of earning lottery points. Going to be a full load in and day hunting with it in some nasty terrain... and praying for a very heavy load out! Thanks!

Glad it helped!

I haven't noticed it to be too bad, I have the 24" at 5' 10". Usually when the pack is in day mode and not too heavy I'll move my load lifters down a couple notches and kind of seems to help my mobility. That's not really a bulky frame either, like the bag will stick out farther on the sides than the actual frame. It's super manageable, you won't be bull in a china closet with day gear. Even when it's loaded there's not a significant restriction IMO.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only real issue I've noticed is crawling but I have a 26" that hits the back of my head when I look up too sharply.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Have you, or anyone else, noticed any issues using the external bladder attachment while hauling any meat or other items between the pack and frame? I'm curious if the bladder will just end up smashed and trying to leak or explode while hauling out an elk quarter.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you, or anyone else, noticed any issues using the external bladder attachment while hauling any meat or other items between the pack and frame? I'm curious if the bladder will just end up smashed and trying to leak or explode while hauling out an elk quarter.

I haven’t hauled any quarters with it in, but I’m sure you’d be ok. I don’t see how it’d be too much different than the regular way it gets squished.

I am wanting a Native pretty bad for a day pack for whitetail hunts, as well as a glassing/stalking pack for backcountry. Good to know it works well with the Reckoning as a lid. Was pretty curious about that! I hadn't seen it ran like that yet.

Any size will fit. I have a medium on mine now but I'm going to go to the large.

Great review Jordan! I’m super late to the party but your review helped me make the decision to buy a Reckoning. I’m going to be comparing it to a MR Metcalf as I get ready for filming some hunts in Idaho and, hopefully, NM in 2018. Thanks for the in depth and practical review. So often reviewers simply point at or talk about features or what the pack can do; at best, simulating a full pack with old sleeping bags. Your packing and unpacking, in conjunction with the commentary, REALLY illustrates the features (or lack thereof) of the pack. That makes the review useful and differentiates it from all the other videos that are simply advertising/sales pitches.

When you talk about putting your “camera” in the Guide Lid...would you mind telling me what kind of camera you’re using/talking about? I’ve been using a big Canon XL H1a for many years but it’s SUCH a pain to drag and carry, that I’m finally switching to a smaller video camera that I’m hoping will go into the Guide Lid. The Canon is great for filming whitetail out of a tree or turkey out of a blind and even elk when you’re not in the backcountry. But WOW is it a PITA to carry more than a couple miles! Your comment in one of the videos about having your “35mm lens in the Lid” has me wondering if you’re filming with a DSLR? If so, are you ever carrying a video camera? Will Kifaru or anyone else you know build a custom case for a camera? It sure would be nice to have some sort of padded panels sewn into a Guide Lid to custom fit a camera and protect it should you fall or even bump the lid into an over-hanging tree.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review Jordan! I’m super late to the party but your review helped me make the decision to buy a Reckoning. I’m going to be comparing it to a MR Metcalf as I get ready for filming some hunts in Idaho and, hopefully, NM in 2018. Thanks for the in depth and practical review. So often reviewers simply point at or talk about features or what the pack can do; at best, simulating a full pack with old sleeping bags. Your packing and unpacking, in conjunction with the commentary, REALLY illustrates the features (or lack thereof) of the pack. That makes the review useful and differentiates it from all the other videos that are simply advertising/sales pitches.

When you talk about putting your “camera” in the Guide Lid...would you mind telling me what kind of camera you’re using/talking about? I’ve been using a big Canon XL H1a for many years but it’s SUCH a pain to drag and carry, that I’m finally switching to a smaller video camera that I’m hoping will go into the Guide Lid. The Canon is great for filming whitetail out of a tree or turkey out of a blind and even elk when you’re not in the backcountry. But WOW is it a PITA to carry more than a couple miles! Your comment in one of the videos about having your “35mm lens in the Lid” has me wondering if you’re filming with a DSLR? If so, are you ever carrying a video camera? Will Kifaru or anyone else you know build a custom case for a camera? It sure would be nice to have some sort of padded panels sewn into a Guide Lid to custom fit a camera and protect it should you fall or even bump the lid into an over-hanging tree.

Awesome, I’m glad it helped you.

At that time we were carrying Canon XA30’s, but my personal camera system is a Sony A7Sii. The lid fits the XA30 with a mic just perfectly with a little extra space. Theres a company called F-Stop that makes little inserts for cameras that you can put in your own bags. I just use individual lens cases or wrap them in extra clothing though usually. The Native is also a kickass addition over the Guide lid for stuff. I also did a video on it comparing to the Guide lid for size.

Yes ma’am, I saw your Guide Lid/Native comparison. I’m going to start with the Guide first because I do a lot more hunting and guiding where I DONT need to film. If I can figure out a good system to accommodate my camera gear without adding the Native, I’d be pretty happy.

That A7Sii is pretty slick! I’ve been wanting to get a DSLR for some of the filming but I’ve been able to use the a team camera when I needed it, so I haven’t dropped the coin yet. I’ll bet it’s a LOT easier to pack!

I was curious if the back of the pack has the same Cordura material or a waterproof material/panel to keep blood and water from soaking through into your main pack from either hauling meat or if the water bladder failed.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was curious if the back of the pack has the same Cordura material or a waterproof material/panel to keep blood and water from soaking through into your main pack from either hauling meat or if the water bladder failed.

It is the same cordura material. As far as the water bladder goes I wouldn’t worry about that soaking through so much. The blood though could potentially soak through but I wouldn’t think it would pool up or become a big problem. I like my meat inside the bag, and just use a contractor bag for blood control. I’d do the same for meat in the shelf if your worried about blood.