KIFARU Reckoning Backpack Review, by Jordan Budd

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Really no introduction needed here.

Jordan Budd ran the Reckoning and gave us a full review, both text and video!!!

KIFARU Reckoning Backpack Review

Last edited:

Hall256

WKR
Just watched the videos...great job with the review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Vargasm

FNG
Thanks for the review, the videos were really helpful. Just so I have a better idea of size could you tell me what length frame you are using?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review, the videos were really helpful. Just so I have a better idea of size could you tell me what length frame you are using?

I'm on the 24" frame. 5' 10" with a 33" inseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA-R

Lil-Rokslider
Jordan, how does the water badder tab between the frame and bag work for you? Peter

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review and videos of the bag. I thought I read it was recommended to not use the meat shelf with a fully loaded (5 days worth of gear) bag. Is this correct? If that is true, can explain why and what you would do 5 miles in with everything you had in your bag minus a bit of food? This is my first year planning on backpack hunting so I'm trying to decide between a few different bags. Thanks.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review and videos of the bag. I thought I read it was recommended to not use the meat shelf with a fully loaded (5 days worth of gear) bag. Is this correct? If that is true, can explain why and what you would do 5 miles in with everything you had in your bag minus a bit of food? This is my first year planning on backpack hunting so I'm trying to decide between a few different bags. Thanks.

That is correct. You can definitely do it, but it's not recommended due to comfort. If you have say 5 days of gear all in the bag (45 lbs for example) then put meat between the bag and frame your extending the 45lbs away from your back. So you may have the heaviest weight against your back but your still extending 45 lbs backwards away from your body and it's going to be pulling you backwards and will be super uncomfortable the whole time.

The reckoning is a big bag, so you should still have quite a bit of space left after packing for like 5 days. Coming out with camp and meat I would put all of my lighter/bulkier things stuffed in the bottom of the bag (sleeping bag, pad, extra clothes, etc.) basically get a good platform in the bottom 1/3 of the bag so you can put meat in the top 2/3 of your back section. Then if needed extend the snow collar up and put any extra gear on top of that and/or start stuffing things into the outer pockets and strapping to the back (like tents, tripods, spotters, etc.). Put your meat in a garbage bag or something to keep blood from saturating your other gear and pack as well... I'd put my sleeping bag in a watertight bag for sure. Having everything in the bag that is up against your back and extending up will be much more easier on the body than extending outwards.
Now where the meat shelf does come in super handy is when you don't have very much weight in the main bag, say like 25 lbs or less, equivalent to just day hunting gear. Then your only extending a small amount of weight backwards, plus it won't be stuck out as far as if the bag was full.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
That is correct. You can definitely do it, but it's not recommended due to comfort. If you have say 5 days of gear all in the bag (45 lbs for example) then put meat between the bag and frame your extending the 45lbs away from your back. So you may have the heaviest weight against your back but your still extending 45 lbs backwards away from your body and it's going to be pulling you backwards and will be super uncomfortable the whole time.

The reckoning is a big bag, so you should still have quite a bit of space left after packing for like 5 days. Coming out with camp and meat I would put all of my lighter/bulkier things stuffed in the bottom of the bag (sleeping bag, pad, extra clothes, etc.) basically get a good platform in the bottom 1/3 of the bag so you can put meat in the top 2/3 of your back section. Then if needed extend the snow collar up and put any extra gear on top of that and/or start stuffing things into the outer pockets and strapping to the back (like tents, tripods, spotters, etc.). Put your meat in a garbage bag or something to keep blood from saturating your other gear and pack as well... I'd put my sleeping bag in a watertight bag for sure. Having everything in the bag that is up against your back and extending up will be much more easier on the body than extending outwards.
Now where the meat shelf does come in super handy is when you don't have very much weight in the main bag, say like 25 lbs or less, equivalent to just day hunting gear. Then your only extending a small amount of weight backwards, plus it won't be stuck out as far as if the bag was full.

Makes sense, thanks!

Squirrels

WKR
What size belt pouch will go on the reckoning at the top to use as a lid pouch ?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any size will fit. I have a medium on mine now but I'm going to go to the large.

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Great review, firmly planted the Reckoning on my radar of possible packs.

jm1607

WKR
What size belt pouch will go on the reckoning at the top to use as a lid pouch ?

Medium seems perfect. Large would hang over a bit and Small hardly holds anything...

I also recommend running Larges over Mediums on the sides... Much more room with no downside

Squirrels

WKR
My Reckoning should be here tomorrow if tracking info holds up. I feel the way a 16 year old girl must feel about prom.

Squirrels

WKR
I'm gonna need some help figuring out what some of the loops are for on the bag and frame both. Don't think I'll run a guide lid but I will get a belt pouch for the top.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm gonna need some help figuring out what some of the loops are for on the bag and frame both. Don't think I'll run a guide lid but I will get a belt pouch for the top.

I will be back in the states on the 29th. You can give me a call then and go over those attachment points if you'd like