Pack Ideas

bhuntin

FNG
Hey Rokslide

I'm not really new to the forum but don't post much. I'm looking to buy a new pack either this year or next year and have a good idea of what I think I want but wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations.

I'm looking for what would be mostly a daypack but I want to be able to haul out a load of meat should I get an animal down. I will most likely only be doing a one week western hunt every year to every other year (mule deer or elk). I would also like to use the pack for my Midwest hunting when I want to haul a treestand in a mile or more.

I know I should try on the pack ahead of time to find the best fit for me.

With all of that said I was looking at the Kifaru Woodsman or a Mystery Ranch Pack. Am I on the right track or any other packs you would recommend looking at?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Rokslide

I'm not really new to the forum but don't post much. I'm looking to buy a new pack either this year or next year and have a good idea of what I think I want but wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations.

I'm looking for what would be mostly a daypack but I want to be able to haul out a load of meat should I get an animal down. I will most likely only be doing a one week western hunt every year to every other year (mule deer or elk). I would also like to use the pack for my Midwest hunting when I want to haul a treestand in a mile or more.

I know I should try on the pack ahead of time to find the best fit for me.

With all of that said I was looking at the Kifaru Woodsman or a Mystery Ranch Pack. Am I on the right track or any other packs you would recommend looking at?

I was going to steer you towards the Woodsman. You could even look at the 22 mag if you want some more sewn in pockets, I run that for day hunts and works pretty good. Can't really attach a guide lid though on that bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Nomad makes a great day pack/meat hauler too, and they are on sale right now. It's probably the best pack Kifaru makes for hauling things like tree stands.

Nomad

I like the zip access up the back of the Woodsman. I just took it for a test drive yesterday for the first time. I run a guide lid on it and have two spotter pockets on it now. That's a lot of capacity, not sure I will be using the scope pockets, would like some pockets that are a little lower profile because my arms hit the pockets on the backswing.

Sounds like you're willing to be patient about your purchase. You can find some good deals on this site via the classifieds. Do your research and know what you want, then be ready to pounce.

OP
bhuntin

bhuntin

FNG
Thanks guys. I was also considering getting the cargo net for stand hauling. I plan on stopping at the Kifaru store this summer when we take a vacation to CO. My hope is that this will give me a good idea of what I really want and what will fit me best.

I am a big fan of Exo. They are not complex, are comfortable and they just work. That is one, two and three for me. At least check them out. Good people too.

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Exo.... Use mine for exactly what your talking about and I love it. 3500 is the perfect size to do everything you want.

Xtreme007

WKR
X2 for the EXO

I use my exo for everything. Long extended trips, day hunts, hikes, hauling treestands, travel, packing meat when successful. It just works for me. Very well designed bags exo makes. Love the new frame too

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo Pack 3500 here! Have hauled out 12 Bulls & Bucks in the last several years with it, best pack I've ever owned after 40 years of packing critters! In day pack mode with 80oz water, food for the day, first aid kit, gps maps compass, 4 elk bags, headlamp, camera, flagging tape & a few small xtras my pack weighs in a 13#-14# -- That is total pack weight! That's crazy light weight & yet will pack 100# plus loads easily & comfortably!

ElkNut1

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the Tarryall in the classifieds, that seems like a decent option?

I would want the duplex frame for packing out elk and hauling tree stands around. Tarryall is a cool bag though.

I've used quite a few packs and the new Stone Glacier XCurve frame any (Pick any SG bag) is the best fit and feel on me for hauling light to massive loads. I can't recommend another pack more than the SG, but trying one on and testing fit is the only real way to know for certain how a pack and frame will work for you. Good luck.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You really can't go wrong with seek outside, kifaru, stone glacier or exo, maybe even the new mystery ranch frame. All are high quality and have enough frame height to have functioning load lifters. I really think the only reason one would be better than the other is because of specific options you would want. I would consider kuiu just barely a step down from these. Other packs are good but much heavier such as horn hunter full curl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

team3t

WKR
X2 for the EXO

I use my exo for everything. Long extended trips, day hunts, hikes, hauling treestands, travel, packing meat when successful. It just works for me. Very well designed bags exo makes. Love the new frame too

Same here. Very solid pack for meat, gear, daypack.... frame is money. Good hip coverage with the belt and durable bags.