Kuiu packs question from experience guide

x3 or 4 on the Icon Pro being perfect size for day hunts or short solos. I just took mine to Colombia for a week of backpacking and it was awesome. I'd def go with an Icon Pro variety for what you are talking about. I much prefer to have my gear spread out internal pockets in the pack into different areas and sections.

You don't get that option with an Ultra-- just one large cargo bag and the spotter pouch on the outside.

Do these kuiu packs come with internal frames or would you buy a frame like kifaru ? I'm considering this myself as I'm going on am elk hunt in Montana with an Outfitter so I don't need anything to crazy as I'll have plenty of help if I get one

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I try to stay out of kuiu pack discussion because i would rather not pile on and my bad experiences i have gone over ad nauseam on here, coupled with the horrible CS i received i just stay clear of all thing kuiu.
Seems the OP primarily motivated by a price point and kuiu pack price point is excellent . That said Black Ovis is running a sale 20% mystery ranch ...brings MR down to KUIU prices for what i think is a Superior product in all respects.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
I used a Kuiu Ultra 6000(sometimes 3000) bag for 2 years guiding.
Was very nice until it failed. Customer service was pretty good.

For mainly day hunting they are pretty good, they are very light and compress very well
I prefer the Ultra bag lay out to the Icons as it is just more simple to use, they have made the fabric thicker(500d) since I have had my Ultra.
My guide runs one with out issue so far.
For more casual use/day hunts I think they should last pretty well.

My main issue with the set up was the poor attachment of the bag to the frame. We would often have the bag 'lift' off the frame, this was mainly happening when using the 6000 as a day bag. Annoying but not a real major.
The failures I have had are the way the shoulder straps fit into the frame, these are small plastic 'buttons' that are set into the shoulder harness foam. Not overly strong and I do not trust the system much after seeing it fail.
I think this varies on what 'height' you have the shoulder straps set on and how you shoulder the pack, I know I will break one again(as Ive broke two) but I know guys that have used them for a quite a long time with no issues

Bomb shell- my Kuiu lasted longer than my Kifaru before failing, so it goes to show that no matter what you have it can and will break. (both companies had good customer service from my end, the Kifaru was easily repaired, the Kuiu was not able to be fixed due to the way they are made and needed replacement)

PS-I have 'hated' on kuiu a bit after having them fail in the field, its not nice having any gear break when you rely on it, but in the last couple of seasons I have seen nearly every brand and type of gear fail in one way or another,

Last edited:
Do these kuiu packs come with internal frames or would you buy a frame like kifaru ? I'm considering this myself as I'm going on am elk hunt in Montana with an Outfitter so I don't need anything to crazy as I'll have plenty of help if I get one

They don't have internal frames, and they don't come with suspension (shoulder straps) either. And all except the 1850 require the frame to connect the suspension. So basically pick a suspension (ultra or icon pro), a frame, and a bag.

Are these cheaper than say kifaru, stone glacier, or exo in a comparable size?