MR Pintler VS Metcalf

i own the Marshall and absolutely love it...but it is a little overwhelming with straps and buckles. It is going to take me awhile to figure everything out. When MR starts selling bag only options I look really forward to adding a couple smaller day pack and hopefully a load hauler only option. The Pintler is high on my list of priorities as another option. Until then I am actually looking for another used MR guidelight frame and pack in the Metcalf for my son.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
i own the Marshall and absolutely love it...but it is a little overwhelming with straps and buckles. It is going to take me awhile to figure everything out. When MR starts selling bag only options I look really forward to adding a couple smaller day pack and hopefully a load hauler only option. The Pintler is high on my list of priorities as another option. Until then I am actually looking for another used MR guidelight frame and pack in the Metcalf for my son.

You are in luck. MR Told me they will be offering the Pintler bag and the new "Mule" bag separately starting next year.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
They told me it's smaller than the Pintler which I found odd, you'd think they would want a bag in the 3-4k space range. Especially a pack going on an external frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They told me it's smaller than the Pintler which I found odd, you'd think they would want a bag in the 3-4k space range. Especially a pack going on an external frame.

yah i get the idea it is going to be a meat hauler...hence the name the mule kind of a load hauler with a little storage.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Bet you are right!

I think it would be very possible for a guy like Adam (Rugged Stitches) to craft a simple meat-packing bag (think 500D Cordura pack cloth) and equip it with the same attachments as the main pack bag...minus a load shelf. Pintler or Metcalf bag removes from the frame in 60 seconds and gets replaced by the meat-haul bag. Could have a drawcord or roll-down closure on top. No zippers or other stuff. Wide throat for dropping in a loaded meat bag.

I've currently got Rugged Stitches working on a basic bag....could be interesting.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I think it would be very possible for a guy like Adam (Rugged Stitches) to craft a simple meat-packing bag (think 500D Cordura pack cloth) and equip it with the same attachments as the main pack bag...minus a load shelf. Pintler or Metcalf bag removes from the frame in 60 seconds and gets replaced by the meat-haul bag. Could have a drawcord or roll-down closure on top. No zippers or other stuff. Wide throat for dropping in a loaded meat bag.

I've currently got Rugged Stitches working on a basic bag....could be interesting.

I have been chitchatting with him about making me some belt pouches or side pockets. Let me know your experience with his work when you get the bag!

Trial153

WKR
I have been chitchatting with him about making me some belt pouches or side pockets. Let me know your experience with his work when you get the bag!

He made a load sling for my pintler and it it came out excellent. Nice work and great service

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin is having a meat bag made up (500d game bag basically) not a full pack bag. Doing a very basic bag is doable but I think I'd be inclined to still having a beavertail for flexibility if it was me, that doesn't add too much material or labor. PALS, pockets, etc. are what start adding up in terms of time.

I've made my own more delux version of a daypack for a the NICE frame. Rev 1 was coyote which my buddy used, Rev 2 in highlander which I used. I liked them a fair bit for day hunting, I'd have to reflect on what I'd change next. We paired these with a large haul bag to bring in our spike camp. I wouldn't want to bivy hunt with that setup though, I'd rather have a single larger bag in that case.

8527B5F1-FF60-4231-95E5-C8509056EE34_zpsw91qqtil.jpg

5187D5BC-14E3-4F18-A1D2-A7E69FC41C68_zpsa9ltqz23.jpg

F84BCC05-2339-4A3F-B30D-C1F7F31F8E09_zps6do7mci2.jpg

This is another design I am going to be making in the next couple weeks for a custom NICE frame that is 3" taller (thus the 24" frame reference instead of a 21" frame), I'm interested to check it out when completed and in 3D versus on paper. ;)

pack_zpsvvawzi6k.jpg

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Kevin is having a meat bag made up (500d game bag basically) not a full pack bag. Doing a very basic bag is doable but I think I'd be inclined to still having a beavertail for flexibility if it was me, that doesn't add too much material or labor. PALS, pockets, etc. are what start adding up in terms of time.

I've made my own more delux version of a daypack for a the NICE frame. Rev 1 was coyote which my buddy used, Rev 2 in highlander which I used. I liked them a fair bit for day hunting, I'd have to reflect on what I'd change next. We paired these with a large haul bag to bring in our spike camp. I wouldn't want to bivy hunt with that setup though, I'd rather have a single larger bag in that case.

8527B5F1-FF60-4231-95E5-C8509056EE34_zpsw91qqtil.jpg

5187D5BC-14E3-4F18-A1D2-A7E69FC41C68_zpsa9ltqz23.jpg

F84BCC05-2339-4A3F-B30D-C1F7F31F8E09_zps6do7mci2.jpg

This is another design I am going to be making in the next couple weeks for a custom NICE frame that is 3" taller (thus the 24" frame reference instead of a 21" frame), I'm interested to check it out when completed and in 3D versus on paper. ;)

pack_zpsvvawzi6k.jpg

How bout with a guide light frame :)

I have both a Metcalf bag and a Longbow bag. The Longbow is an excellent day hunt bag. If I had to choose one, I'd likely go with the Metcalf, but only because I value the backpack hunt capability more. the Longbow would work for a bivy/3-5 day bag, but you're either going to hve stuff packed into the load shelf and/or strapped on the sides/top. If that's a deal breaker for you then the Metcalf is certainly the way to go.

Using the meat shelf you can pack out a whole deer and camp in one trip.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How bout with a guide light frame :)

From everything (online) I've seen its the same except 2 things: 1) The beavertail threads through ladderlocs versus being a buckle, that doesn't affect the bag design you just take the male ladderloc buckles on/off. 2) The nice frame had a ladderloc strap just above the waist belt (look at that side photo above of mine) to suck the side of the pack into it, the guidelite does not have that strap so the ladderlocs would be unused (or could be left off).

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I have both a Metcalf bag and a Longbow bag. The Longbow is an excellent day hunt bag. If I had to choose one, I'd likely go with the Metcalf, but only because I value the backpack hunt capability more. the Longbow would work for a bivy/3-5 day bag, but you're either going to hve stuff packed into the load shelf and/or strapped on the sides/top. If that's a deal breaker for you then the Metcalf is certainly the way to go.

Using the meat shelf you can pack out a whole deer and camp in one trip.

I ended up going with the Metcalf just for your reasons listed above. MR is coming out with the Pintler and a pack called the Mule next year so I thought I could pick up a Pintler pack next year if it's reasonable and swap out as needed.

boom

WKR
I ended up going with the Metcalf just for your reasons listed above. MR is coming out with the Pintler and a pack called the Mule next year so I thought I could pick up a Pintler pack next year if it's reasonable and swap out as needed.

same here..just dont tell my wife. i might have told her this is the "last pack"

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to close the loop on the above chatter, here was Kevin's meat bag:

C64B886D-9FC2-4093-A07C-C7CCAAEBE763_zpshzthffot.jpg

Here is that larger bag I made up for the specialty NICE frame, made a second in coyote for a normal NICE frame.

33E8FAE2-B925-4C07-B9BD-FA2DB22BBBD6_zpsasq8cl0r.jpg

9BCA5ACC-4949-4AA1-9DD3-34D13CC96C13_zpsho973kfc.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Any updates to this thread? I missed the discussion and was able to purchase the MR Metcalf and Pintler, with the latter as bag only. I agree with the statements above that the Metcalf is somewhat overwhelming with the various straps, etc. (Half the time I'm wondering if I missed something with an extra strap.) I'm currently weighing and making a packing list for an elk hunt (style TBD - multiple days with base and spike camps, or day trips), and would love to hear from anyone who has stretched the Pintler to the max. For example, for those who put sleeping stuff in a separate back between the pack and the frame, what did you do if you killed an animal? I'm a total newbie, so I'd not say that I'm a light weight guy yet - but I've purchased a kitchen scale and am hoping to keep my overall weight, and profile, to a minimum.

fwafwow

WKR
Any updates to this thread? I missed the discussion and was able to purchase the MR Metcalf and Pintler, with the latter as bag only. I agree with the statements above that the Metcalf is somewhat overwhelming with the various straps, etc. (Half the time I'm wondering if I missed something with an extra strap.) I'm currently weighing and making a packing list for an elk hunt (style TBD - multiple days with base and spike camps, or day trips), and would love to hear from anyone who has stretched the Pintler to the max. For example, for those who put sleeping stuff in a separate back between the pack and the frame, what did you do if you killed an animal? I'm a total newbie, so I'd not say that I'm a light weight guy yet - but I've purchased a kitchen scale and am hoping to keep my overall weight, and profile, to a minimum.

TTT - any updates on those who have used the Pintler for more than an overnight? And in the last month I've totally lost my mind and spent an inordinate amount of money, and time, in streamlining my weights to ~ 46# skin out/total; 31#base; 5.6# consumable and just under 10# worn (counting binos and RF).