Kifaru or Exo

WKR
I like the simplicity and flexibility of Exo. Kifaru has too many options and moving parts for me.

Simple pack for a simple mind...

They only did that after the first year of pack sales, unless they put me on the naughty list...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My EXO arsenal won't be complete without one of these. I need! I want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation i ended up getting the kifaru based the modularity. Waited down with my day hunting setup i don't even notice it's there.

I've had both, and hands down prefer the Exo. For me the Exo moves better with you on light loads, and they both pack heavy loads equally well.

I prefer the layout of the EXO bags, they are super functional and have the details I want - everything is really well thought out. And agree with others about the exo being more maneuverable with day weights.

I like the durability and quality of Kifaru but I think there is a fine line between useful modularity and looking like a gypsy by attaching too many bags

OP
Idahohillboy

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good input guys thanks the Reckoning would be the bag for me if I went Kifaru but I am gonna do the Exo. I would keep the Kuiu 5200 but it has a squeek and becomes flimsy and hard to manage over 50lbs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
If your torso is over 20", go with the Kifaru hunter. I have both. Love both. But Kifaru gets the nod if heavy loads are even a possibility due to load lifters. Over 20" torso and the Exo doesn't perform nearly as well as kifaru.

Don't discount the price point right away. I did a T-account analysis of both the Exo and Kifaru bags. With what I wanted (and it was not a lot) to setup the bags, the Kifaru was cheaper. Reckoning on 24" frame vs Exo 5500

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Don't discount the price point right away. I did a T-account analysis of both the Exo and Kifaru bags. With what I wanted (and it was not a lot) to setup the bags, the Kifaru was cheaper. Reckoning on 24" frame vs Exo 5500

Not sure how you did your math?

Rekoning bag - $284
Frame - $376
Total = $660
*ultralight frame would save you $60
Total = $600

Exo 5500- $600

*Kifaru belt pouches are also more expensive.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Lots of good input guys thanks the Reckoning would be the bag for me if I went Kifaru but I am gonna do the Exo. I would keep the Kuiu 5200 but it has a squeek and becomes flimsy and hard to manage over 50lbs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If you like the Kuiu bag, keep it and adapt it to another manufacturer's frame.

I am partial to Kifaru based on the hip belt, just fits me amazingly well.

My 2015 EXO was more comfortable to walk in but the Kifaru out carries it.

I 100% agree with this.

I archery elk hunt out of a basecamp with the Exo and quick overnighters but if I'm packing heavy for week I'm carrying the Kifaru. I bought the Kifaru first and found it to be overkill for the day hunts. For me the Exo 3500 and the T1 perfectly compliment each other and make a fine damn start to a family of packs :).

With that in mind I'd suggest..........

If a couple of deer and an elk is a banner year then go with the Exo. If an elk and a couple deer (or more) is normal go with the Kifaru.

Not sure how you did your math?

Rekoning bag - $284
Frame - $376
Total = $660
*ultralight frame would save you $60
Total = $600

Exo 5500- $600

*Kifaru belt pouches are also more expensive.

At the time, my setup was with just the pack/frame was -$5.00 in favor of the Kafaru. (negligible)
For my personal setup the Kifaru was cheaper. For example, $30 pocket on back of pack - weapon carrier system solved for MY liking. The Kifaru setup was $60 cheaper in how I needed to set up my pack to my style. This works for me.

Retterath

WKR
I have to say that kifaru has tons of options and accessories that can always we changed or switched out between bags. That's a huge plus I think.

Jauwater

WKR
I have to say that kifaru has tons of options and accessories that can always we changed or switched out between bags. That's a huge plus I think.
I'm with this guy. Kifaru just has soooo many options as far as packs, and pockets to add to the frame. I'd go with Kifaru just on that alone. I'm the type that's never satisfied. Organization for me is a must, in all aspects of my life. Kifaru fits the ticket for my personality. You can literally Lego together a Kifaru pack for any outing your facing. Look at it like a multi tool. Most come assembled in a specific way. Those will work fine. Then there are some brands that'll let you modify your multi tool to the purpose you intend to us it for. Yea both will work. But what multi tool would work best for you.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Having owned both side by side the Kifaru wins hands down for me. From form, fit, finish to modularity and comfort carrying any sized load the Kifaru sits in a class above. You'll have to try both to see what works best for you.