Kifaru or Exo

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I narrowed down my hunt to these two. Any non biased opinion on each would be great. Looking to maybe hear from someone who has used both extensively. I cruise around with 30 to 40 lbs on my back most days. I was really liking the Exo being its an Idaho company. Finding very few complaints on both. Just want the right bag looking at 5000 or more carring capacity.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
non-biased? here? :cool::):cool:

I've used both and still own both. Either will work fine. I would look for the features that are important to you in a pack, find that model and buy with confidence.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Probably depends on how you are going to use it and how much use you are planning out of it. I just purchased a Exo pack based on what I want out of a hunt and that I will only be using it on one 7day elk hunt every year. If I lived out west and knew I would be using it on a more regular basis, the price of the Kifaru would be justified. The Exo is just great and saved me a little bit of money, which allowed me to spend on other gear. Trying it on and taking a few hikes in the Exo I am very happy with my purchase.

twall13

WKR
I've used both frames, though I've only had my Kifaru frame for a month or so now. I mounted Exo bags to it. I really like the Exo setup but if you have a long torso it won't be as nice under heavy loads (70lbs. +) as a 26" Kifaru frame. That's really the only reason I got the Kifaru frame. Under lesser loads the Exo moves with you a bit better so it's a bit more comfortable for day hunting. I do like the hip belt better on the Kifaru but I haven't tried the exo 2017 belt and it's supposed to be upgraded. The Exo system will likely be a bit less money and a bit less weight. Either company is solid in my opinion. It just depends what you are looking for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

All I'll say is I sold my 2015 EXO frame and bought a Kifaru. Put the EXO bag on the Kifaru and eventually fell out of love with the bag and sold it. Replaced it with a Kuiu bag and now I'm very happy.

My 2015 EXO was more comfortable to walk in but the Kifaru out carries it.

It's gonna be a personal choice in the end.

Xtreme007

WKR
Both great packs. I have owned both but for me the Exo fit me better and was more comfortable.

I sold my 2016 exo and Just got the new 2017 exo a couple months ago and loving it. The few upgrades they have did for 2017 are great. I like the new waist belt upgrade. Also I love the exo bags never really found a kifaru bag taht I was crazy about.

OP
Idahohillboy

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Xtreme I agree not crazy about the Kifaru bags I have never seen it in person though. I am ditching my creaky Kuiu which is a night mare to pack critters out in.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
If you did end up going the kifaru route I'd recommend the reckoning bag. It's the best of them all in my opinion. I'd like to check out the exo tho I've heard great things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it boils down to looks. IMO almost all the Kifaru bags look unfinished compared to the exos. Which they kind of are when you factor in all the space for extra pockets.

As a mil guy I can always appreciate the spartan, no show-all go look and utility of the Kifaru bags. And so far they've been great for me, especially the larger packs (MMR and Argali). Extremely durable, I can tailor the pack to the mission by adding or removing a few pockets and the guide lid.

The Exo's look good.. but I havent used one yet. I'd really like to try out their 2000cu" day pack on their frame for day long scouting trips or short hunts. They're local to me and I like supporting the dudes in my neighborhood.

Both make good packs from all accounts. Both are American made (Colorado/Idaho). And both support hunting in big ways. If the layout suits your needs and the frame fits you well, cant go wrong.

debating this right now ultralight kifaru frame w/ grab ti2 and nomad thats on sale or the exo k2 2000 thats on backorder. hmmm

oldgoat

WKR
debating this right now ultralight kifaru frame w/ grab ti2 and nomad thats on sale or the exo k2 2000 thats on backorder. hmmm

I absolutely love my Nomad, almost nothing it can't do with a camp bag and proper lid, I suggest finding a used Longhunter Lid, they don't sell them anymore. The Longhunter Lid has kind of a Skirt on it and effectively closes off the top of the pack to debris and rain, the Guide lid doesn't close stuff off as it has no skirt.

jm1607

WKR
I've owned 3 of each.

They are both tough, designed well, about the same comfort level (imo).

To me the game changer is the modularity of Kifaru. Being able to detach and re-attach pockets and accessories in seconds is amazing, not to mention the wide variety of pockets and accessories. The other thing that's nice is if a new bag you really like comes out you can pick it up and your frame and all accessories will work perfectly. Everything is interchangeable. So instead of buying a whole new setup you only spend $200 on a bag, then you can sell yours for about what you paid for it so you will be close to breaking even..

I've owned 3 of each.

They are both tough, designed well, about the same comfort level (imo).

To me the game changer is the modularity of Kifaru. Being able to detach and re-attach pockets and accessories in seconds is amazing, not to mention the wide variety of pockets and accessories. The other thing that's nice is if a new bag you really like comes out you can pick it up and your frame and all accessories will work perfectly. Everything is interchangeable. So instead of buying a whole new setup you only spend $200 on a bag, then you can sell yours for about what you paid for it so you will be close to breaking even..

EXO doesn't have the extensive bag and accessory catalog like Kifaru does, but all of EXO bags are interchangeable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeremiahH

WKR
EXO will send you a sweet aluminum bottle opener for Christmas.
Nuff said
eeff7b9c04fb76af275db0409d2becb9.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
EXO will send you a sweet aluminum bottle opener for Christmas.
Nuff said
eeff7b9c04fb76af275db0409d2becb9.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
They only did that after the first year of pack sales, unless they put me on the naughty list...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk