Kifaru pack setup?

I think the right answer to that is "it depends." :)

One other thing to consider with the lightweight packs (Tahr, Markhor, Argali) is that they're just one big bag. If you're cramming 7 days worth of food and gear in there, plus a hydration bladder, you want to be sure you're cool with digging around and have a plan for pack-in/out vs. day hunting. For what it's worth, my gigantor Argali compresses down to almost nothing, so any of those packs will be comfortable for climbing around.

Hope that helps.

Good advice in this post. I definitely prefer some compartmentalization. I don't like having to unbuckle a lid/compression straps to get at something in the middle of my pack. The pack models with a center zip like woodsman, reckoning certainly help with this.

Davebuech

WKR
Could I get 7 days worth of gear into a markhor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunterandprey said it very well.

I have been running the Markhor since last summer. I have a guide lid and several sizes of belt pouches, pockets and a Grab It, which makes it very versatile. I change up attachments to suit the length of trip and what I am carrying. I can easily run 5 days early season gear and depending on what you are taking for food 7 days would be doable with the guide lid/extra pockets & pouches and a grab it. Most of my gear is pretty light and compressible though and I don't carry a lot of extras, so it depends also on your base weight/volume to start off. As stated above, these packs suck down to nearly nothing for day hunting mode and for the pack out the Markhor will carry more meat loaded than I can. It suits my needs very well but I am sure is not the pack for everyone.
On the other hand, if you do a lot of late season hunting or carry a lot of gear the Argali size might be better. My older NF 0 degree bag takes up a lot of room and colder temps I always pack more/heavier clothes. Last year, temps in CO were so warm though, I never needed the 0 bag nor did I need to do 7 days but if I did I would feel I would need more size from the pack.

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
Hunterandprey said it very well.

I have been running the Markhor since last summer. I have a guide lid and several sizes of belt pouches, pockets and a Grab It, which makes it very versatile. I change up attachments to suit the length of trip and what I am carrying. I can easily run 5 days early season gear and depending on what you are taking for food 7 days would be doable with the guide lid/extra pockets & pouches and a grab it. Most of my gear is pretty light and compressible though and I don't carry a lot of extras, so it depends also on your base weight/volume to start off. As stated above, these packs suck down to nearly nothing for day hunting mode and for the pack out the Markhor will carry more meat loaded than I can. It suits my needs very well but I am sure is not the pack for everyone.
On the other hand, if you do a lot of late season hunting or carry a lot of gear the Argali size might be better. My older NF 0 degree bag takes up a lot of room and colder temps I always pack more/heavier clothes. Last year, temps in CO were so warm though, I never needed the 0 bag nor did I need to do 7 days but if I did I would feel I would need more size from the pack.

I think I would be better off finding a used argali or high camp 7000 then. I think I'm going to need the extra room just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk