Nomad is in the Rhino Den

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
Makes me want to buy a second one just because of price point. I think the Nomad is going to go the way of the Mountain Rambler. Once its gone, it will be coveted again. Get them while you can.

Justin

oldgoat

WKR
I'm thinking the same thing, also thinking of buying a second Longhunter lid because I don't like how the Guide lid doesn't cup over the top of my Nomad to keep moisture and debris out of the open long pockets.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Whomever is mixing the Kool-Aid that both Exo and Kifaru are drinking with regards to open-topped pockets needs to stop. Digging crap out of the pockets after a brushy push is terrible. Even worse when poison oak is involved. Been there, done that. #SARLIFE

Just put nice zippers on them and if people want to leave them open then they can.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
It's really bad in the fall here in California, when everything's dry and you're busting through the thick mazanita and oak scrub. Everything under the sun fell into my Exo's pockets even with the lid and the cords drawn up. Zippers might be heavier but I'll take 'em any day of the week and skip some M&Ms to make up for the weight. =D

And, back on topic, I also picked up one of the Nomads in the same color because of the potential for mods ... can offload the EMR2 if I end up not liking it.

I'll have to look into the Longhunter lid. Wasn't aware of anything but the Guide.

-mox

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be curious to know why. I dropped a chunk of change to get mine all set up and then it's discontinued less than a year later? Not really reassuring. What's wrong with it?

oldgoat

WKR
I'd be curious to know why. I dropped a chunk of change to get mine all set up and then it's discontinued less than a year later? Not really reassuring. What's wrong with it?

Supply and demand! Your bag is still under warranty, what are you concerned about?

dotman

WKR

I doubt it's discontinued since it's one of their best sellers, my guess is slight design change is being made or inventory reduction. Hard to believe it's being discontinued.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Supply and demand! Your bag is still under warranty, what are you concerned about?

Like I said, I'd like to know why. Do you work for Kifaru? Safe to say I don't have a good understanding of what goes in to making a bag, so maybe it's not possible to keep making a product in small quantities. If its only about supply and demand, what's the reason for the drop in demand? Like I said, I'd love to know. I only get 2-3 trips a year in so it could take me a while to figure out why they went from being the hottest bag they make to discontinued in just a few years.

oldgoat

WKR
I've never heard anybody say the Nomad was the hottest selling bag before. It says right on the web page that things in the Rhino Den are discontinued, but I have seen things that were overstocked go there. I've had mine almost there years now and for what I do it's perfect and I don't plan on getting anything else! I wish I had thought to ask about it when I was in there yesterday, kind of meant too and forgot.

oldgoat

WKR
It's really bad in the fall here in California, when everything's dry and you're busting through the thick mazanita and oak scrub. Everything under the sun fell into my Exo's pockets even with the lid and the cords drawn up. Zippers might be heavier but I'll take 'em any day of the week and skip some M&Ms to make up for the weight. =D

And, back on topic, I also picked up one of the Nomads in the same color because of the potential for mods ... can offload the EMR2 if I end up not liking it.

I'll have to look into the Longhunter lid. Wasn't aware of anything but the Guide.

-mox

This is the best pic I could find of how the Longhunter covers the top, I've never seen so much as a pine needle come out of the pockets.

mfolch

WKR
What I've never been able to figure out is why anyone would choose a nomad over any of the single-duffle style packs (amr, timberline, tahr, etc.). I like the design on aesthetic grounds, but pragmatically the number of times it might make sense to use a nomad and camp bag combo vs simply sticking to a single pack of comparable size and compressing it down after making camp is so small that it never makes sense to buy a nomad. But the price is so reasonavle, I'd welcome reading other opinions.

I used the nomad for carrying awkward loads. I'd walk in duck hunt put decoy bag into the wings of the nomad, and put my shotgun in one of the slot pockets. It works great for that kind of stuff. On back country hunts, I'd rather have a single duffel type bag.Hence why I sold my nomad. If you're out east, packing tree stands, and other weird loads while hunting, the nomad is excellent.

MtnMuley

WKR
For me the Nomad is perfect for day hunts as it allows me to attach a rifle scabbard for carrying vertically. If I need more room, I'll add one of several sized pouches on the scabbard. If bow hunting, I'll leave it off. I seem to always run a longhunter or guide lid and grab-it. If I'm heading for a night or 8, I'll throw on the camp bag and add 4800cui. Another benefit for me is the meat hauling ability of the Nomad. The bat wing style basically sews up any load configurations I've thrown at it. Until I deem another bag can be more versital for my style of hunting, I'll continue to leave all the other bags at home stick with the Nomad.

fatrascal

WKR
With the Nomad you are not limited to a certain size or cubic inches of the bag. You put the size bag that you want to use. Or you use no bag and can still strap on whatever you want. I saw a picture of a guy who had a 55 gallon drum strapped to his Nomad. Personally I like to strap a gun scabbard cut in half in the middle of the Nomad. In the scabbard goes my tripod with the spotting scope on top. while hiking I will stop multiple times to glass and my spotter comes out as easily as pulling a rifle out. This set up with the spotting scope that is easily accessible is of utmost importance to me and is the reason I chose to stick with an eberlestock pack for many years which also uses the batwing and scabbard configuration. When Kifaru came out with the Nomad I made the switch. What it really comes down to is personal preferance and what suits your style. The Nomad is so versatile that you can change it up to meet almost any style. fatrascal.

Gobbler

FNG
What I've never been able to figure out is why anyone would choose a nomad over any of the single-duffle style packs (amr, timberline, tahr, etc.). I like the design on aesthetic grounds, but pragmatically the number of times it might make sense to use a nomad and camp bag combo vs simply sticking to a single pack of comparable size and compressing it down after making camp is so small that it never makes sense to buy a nomad. But the price is so reasonavle, I'd welcome reading other opinions.

Actually I think you answered your own question. Think about it this way, if you're making camp then out hunting for the day how much are you carrying - not much right? So do you want that stuff laying in the bottom of a 30 inch deep sack compressed to your frame with 3+ straps, or do you want it immediately accessible in a sleeve/zippered pouch? I find with many of the big bags the pockets/attached pouches are hard to access when the bag is fully compressed. And the camp bag has full length zippered access. Personally I know every time out that thing I buried in the middle of the bag because I won't need it, I end up needing. And the junk on top I want immediately accessible I never use. So I'll choose the full length zipper every time. Nomad is terribly underrated - well worth a try.

Gumbo

WKR
I just bought a Nomad in Highlander to compliment my AMR on my 26" hunter frame. I also have a MR Crew Cab and really like the batwing concept for day hunts/awkward loads, but the pack layout just doesn't quite work for my scope, tripod, and gear, especially when bulky wool coats and meat are thrown into the mix. After wearing my Hunter frame more, I'm coming to the realization that the NICE frame isn't nearly as nice to may back, especially under load. I also am not a big fan of the meat shelf concept. I also run a MR Overload and the shelf is functional, but a major PITA to get set up and awkward feeling. I think this will ride way better and be a great daypack.

I am going to try to run the lid below/slightly under the batwings when hunting since I have the tall frame. I bought the guide lid lash kit and am going to try attaching the straps between the wings and then run my Grab It II over the top of it. Then I will switch it to the top of the bag when I need the grab it for meat. I think with the 26' frame it will be obnoxiously tall with the lid on top, and all that space underneath the bag kind of bugs me.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw