Nomad is in the Rhino Den

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Nomad looks great for day trips, hauling popup-blinds, treestands, 300' rope bags, a cooler (hey, 80lbs is 80lbs, right? Don't judge me. ) or even "daddy I'm tired, can you carry my pack?" And when you have multiple kids and multiple packs ... just strap 'em all in instead of having to squish them into a tube-bag.

And the real reason ... big heavy camera gear via a strap-in pod between the wings. >:)

-mox

Nomad on a 26" frame. Large pocket and small pocket under wings against the frame. Side zip long pocket below. Guide lid and camp bag removed when day hunting.

9a6bfbd2724519ad7fd30964945fd2b7.jpg

94a9d0decfe96504fb243e8b78708706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What I've never been able to figure out is why anyone would choose a nomad over any of the single-duffle style packs (amr, timberline, tahr, etc.). I like the design on aesthetic grounds, but pragmatically the number of times it might make sense to use a nomad and camp bag combo vs simply sticking to a single pack of comparable size and compressing it down after making camp is so small that it never makes sense to buy a nomad. But the price is so reasonavle, I'd welcome reading other opinions.

Yup the same reason I can't see why anyone would pick the Nomad over the EMR 2. In daypack mode they are nearly identical and the weight difference is so slight its not worth owning a daypack and a full size pack.

fatrascal

WKR
In my opinion the EMR2 and the Nomad are very similar. The difference is that with the Nomad you can take the bag off or leave it on. You can go with a bigger bag or a smaller bag or go bagless. With the EMR2 you are stuck with the EMR's cubic inches although it has plenty. Again, I think it is personal preference. If I did not have a Nomad then I would have gotten the EMR2 and still may get it one day. But right now I dont need it. fatrascal.

oldgoat

WKR
Id probably just get a regular bag over the EMRII, Nomad is perfect for me for the reasons fatrascal mentioned, plus I don't like the idea of those small pockets on the wings being sticking out like rain and debris catchers. Also I can carry some of the non standard stuff I pack in to make our camp comfortable under my camp bag and if I need a bag when in daypack mode, I just pull the dry sack I carry out of my slot pocket and I'm set. Luckily we have choices because what's perfect in my mind isn't in others and vice versa!

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have probably spent a small fortune on pockets and parts to put the Nomad together. Still waiting on the frame to get shipped. I like the concept of modular stuff as I am not a full time mountain hunter and find the size to be about right in the whitetail woods. Thinking this will work well for me. If I find it is a bit short on space I will probably just go buy an AMR to throw on the frame. Either way I like the ability to have options. Definitely a very tailorable setup. Not sure why they would want to discontinue this pack.

MattB

WKR
I had a Nomad, sold it, bought the EMR II, and am very happy I did. The only thing I miss about the Nomad is the weight, as the EMR II will do virtually everything the Nomad can while the opposite is not true.

I don't see being stuck with the EMR II's bag capacity as a limitation and it will pack down to basically the same size as the Nomad so there is not much penalty to it, but to each his own.

Yup the same reason I can't see why anyone would pick the Nomad over the EMR 2. In daypack mode they are nearly identical and the weight difference is so slight its not worth owning a daypack and a full size pack.
Doesn't it make even a little sense to you that the container you use to carry your camp in can stay in camp continuing to contain all that gear and even hang it it a tree if you use a Nomad, where with the EMR II you carry that empty bag around all day for nothing and you have to bring an additional redundant container(s) to store your camp gear in while you're out hunting?

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Doesn't it make even a little sense to you that the container you use to carry your camp in can stay in camp continuing to contain all that gear and even gang it it a tree if you use a Nomad, where with the EMR II you carry that empty bag around all day for nothing and you have to bring an additional redundant container(s) to store your camp gear in while you're out hunting?

Not for me....played the gadgetry detachable bag/pocket game for a bit....more trouble than its worth I found. Just collapse it down and go and act like its not there rather than worrying about attaching one big bag on and off or or a bunch of little pockets on and off.

If I really wanted to do that I would just put all my camp gear in 55 liter dry bag and pull it out of main packbag and then collapse the pack down and go which is what I would do anyways as I would want my gear in a waterproof bag anyways. Plus I find sometimes its nice to have the big bag with me at times when needing to haul extra gear for other buddies that don't have space for meat and gear as well.

Nomad isn't a bad pack. Just doesn't do anything the EMR 2 doesn't and doesn't save you hardly any weight overall. Which is why there are options for everyone. :)

Like anything to each their own. I tried it and didn't find it as efficient overall for what I do, doesn't mean it isn't good for you or your system. Just find it more trouble than its worth.

MattB

WKR
Doesn't it make even a little sense to you that the container you use to carry your camp in can stay in camp continuing to contain all that gear and even gang it it a tree if you use a Nomad, where with the EMR II you carry that empty bag around all day for nothing and you have to bring an additional redundant container(s) to store your camp gear in while you're out hunting?

You could stick that container you use to carry camp inside the EMR II main bag. You might be over thinking this.

You could stick that container you use to carry camp inside the EMR II main bag. You might be over thinking this.

I don't need to stick it IN anything Matt. The Camp Bag works great on AND off the frame and needs no duplicate bag in order to be carried. It's also always doing a job for me unlike a big empty bag on a day hunt. It's keeping my camp gear buttoned up while I'm out. I like that a lot.

I guess I have over-thought it to the point that I found a way to eliminate redundancy, which is kinda the point of backpack hunting IMHO....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't need to stick it IN anything Matt. The Camp Bag works great on AND off the frame and needs no duplicate bag in order to be carried. It's also always doing a job for me unlike a big empty bag on a day hunt. It's keeping my camp gear buttoned up while I'm out. I like that a lot.

I guess I have over-thought it to the point that I found a way to eliminate redundancy, which is kinda the point of backpack hunting IMHO....

Sounds like a good system. I just like my gear in a dry bag if I am leaving out under a tree or something even if its raining. Cordura leaks through pretty readily if my packbags are any indication. ;)

I agree often day hunting I don't "need" the extra bag there...but I would challenge you to honestly put on both packs in daypack mode with your gear in them with your eyes closed and tell which one had the extra weight of the empty bag attached. ;)

MattB

WKR

To Luke's point, I carry my critical gear (bag/clothes) in waterproof stuff sacks so there would be redundancy from your perspective with with either option.

On a recent deer hunt, I strapped a dry sack full of deer quarters meat outside my EMR II but not inside the bag, so the outside carry option is doable with either pack. I still believe you are over thinking it, but to each his own.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good system. I just like my gear in a dry bag if I am leaving out under a tree or something even if its raining. Cordura leaks through pretty readily if my packbags are any indication. ;)

I agree often day hunting I don't "need" the extra bag there...but I would challenge you to honestly put on both packs in daypack mode with your gear in them with your eyes closed and tell which one had the extra weight of the empty bag attached. ;)
If it's going to be very wet I hang the camp bag with everything but my shelter in it from the loop inside the peak of my SL3. I have more and bigger trees than you do in my area that also work. With you on not expecting Cordura to keep much water out!

I'm also with you that I wouldn't feel the extra weight of the main bag of the EMR II, despite being much older and broken down than you are! 😀 I'm kind of surprised that nobody has said I need to get in better shape so I can carry all that extra fabric, or that I should lose the weight from my body not my pack!

It's really not about the extra weight, though to most backpackers shedding 12 ounces from a pack would be pretty appealing. It's more about the high functionality and versatility of the bag when it's off the frame. And it's only two g-hooks to remount it and head out. It's the sweet spot for me for now.....

I try to avoid saying always and never because I keep trying new things and I might run into a scenario where a big bag skins the cat better for me. I tried the T1, T2, Highcamp, and I settled on the Nomad/Camp Bag combo at this point. Heck, I had a mostly empty 115 liter Lowe Alpine on my back when I bailed out of camp after a Dall Ram and I survived but the sheep didn't! 😉

On a recent deer hunt, I strapped a dry sach full of deer quarters meet outside my EMR II but not inside the bag, so the outside carry option is doable with either pack. I still believe you are over thinking it, but to each his own.
So the big bag was dead weight both directions? Are you sure you're not under thinking this? 😀

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If it's going to be very wet I hang the camp bag with everything but my shelter in it from the loop inside the peak of my SL3. I have more and bigger trees than you do in my area that also work. With you on not expecting Cordura to keep much water out!

I'm also with you that I wouldn't feel the extra weight of the main bag of the EMR II, despite being much older and broken down than you are! 😀 I'm kind of surprised that nobody has said I need to get in better shape so I can carry all that extra fabric, or that I should lose the weight from my body not my pack!

It's really not about the extra weight, though to most backpackers shedding 12 ounces from a pack would be pretty appealing. It's more about the high functionality and versatility of the bag when it's off the frame. And it's only two g-hooks to remount it and head out. It's the sweet spot for me for now.....

I try to avoid saying always and never because I keep trying new things and I might run into a scenario where a big bag skins the cat better for me. I tried the T1, T2, Highcamp, and I settled on the Nomad/Camp Bag combo at this point. Heck, I had a mostly empty 115 liter Lowe Alpine on my back when I bailed out of camp after a Dall Ram and I survived but the sheep didn't! 😉

Yep sounds like you got a good system worked out.

Though I am still not sure you are any faster unclipping the camp bag from the pack and hanging the SL-3 if you can find a tree that works and then going. Seems simply tossing your gear in a dry bag is easier and more fool proof. Of course I packraft more often and trees often aren't an option to hang from. Plus I have slip in a creek or two (don't tell anyone ;) ) and glad I had my gear in a dry bag as I certainly wasn't nor was anything else that wasnt in the dry bag.

Glad you have a system worked out for you that works. I still maintain the EMR 2 simply gives you more options without having to buy extra add on pockets and pieces and both compress down just as small. Doesn't make one better than the other. I am just glad there is actually a market for folks that like that pack cause when it was launched I was like who the heck would want one. After seeing a few in person it only confirmed my thoughts. To each their own and we both know we both would still be killing critters just fine with a Cabelas freighter frame if thats all we had...luckily we don't have to limit ourselves to that. :)

MattB

WKR
So the big bag was dead weight both directions? Are you sure you're not under thinking this? 😀

If by that you mean not spending a bunch of time on the internet arguing which of 2 packs that that are almost identical is better, yeah - you are probably right.

For me, the center bag despite its minimal extra weigh is totally worth it.

Last edited:

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've not personally handled the nomad but it seems like it would handle long range heavy rifles better than the emr2, which I have owned and didn't love heavy gun carry options it had.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've not personally handled the nomad but it seems like it would handle long range heavy rifles better than the emr2, which I have owned and didn't love heavy gun carry options it had.

Maybe ask Ryan Avery how he carries his 13-14 pound LRKM in his EMR 2 and why he still prefers the EMR 2 over the Nomad.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe ask Ryan Avery how he carries his 13-14 pound LRKM in his EMR 2 and why he still prefers the EMR 2 over the Nomad.
I'm not really that interested, just playing the devils advocate. A long range weapon would be wasted on me, as I certainly don't have the skill to utilize it much beyond 500-600 yards.