MR Cabinet or Pintler

bganz

FNG
I've got an email from MR saying next year they'll be releasing some of the bags separately. Didn't specify which bags though. I've got the Marshall on the GLF in Foliage and I absolutely love it. Next year I definitely want to pick up a Pintler bag. I first thought about the cabinet but the Pintler seems to be a better style for what I'm looking for.

LostArra

WKR
Ordered a MR Pintler from OpticsPlanet in May and have not received it.
Just a warning

This has been my experience with Optics Planet for anything. Occasionally good prices and sales but if you are in a hurry to receive, forget it.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
This has been my experience with Optics Planet for anything. Occasionally good prices and sales but if you are in a hurry to receive, forget it.

to be fair, it seems Mystery Ranch themselves are back logged on their Hunting side.
next time, I'll go directly, now that I have a better feel for their packs.

sr80

WKR
Yah, they said aug or sept for anything in the hunting line up, ill look at something else. Thanks for the replies though

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
just trying to keep together these packs in one thread: finally a YouTube video review of the Pintler
[video=youtube_share;wHhHZ8W6yhI]https://youtu.be/wHhHZ8W6yhI[/video]

sr80

WKR
i saw that video...that guy is going to have some sore ass shoulders with that oversized waist belt. im surprised they let him leave the store with that

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
i saw that video...that guy is going to have some sore ass shoulders with that oversized waist belt. im surprised they let him leave the store with that

Please, could you elaborate on this sore shoulder due to incorrect waist belt.
I'm on the waiting list for same pack and I may have to downside my waist belt to Small.

I took a brand new MR Rush for a 2.5 mile walk/hike with maybe 20 lbs of hammock camping gears.
It says Medium on the shoulder but the waist is cinch closed together just it doesn't slip down from my waist.
I'm 32 on the waist, but, maybe its the thin clothing that I wear, that the waist belt slips down my waist.
No soreness on the shoulder. Actually nothing I can complain or report back about it.

So any tip or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Please, could you elaborate on this sore shoulder due to incorrect waist belt.
I'm on the waiting list for same pack and I may have to downside my waist belt to Small.

I took a brand new MR Rush for a 2.5 mile walk/hike with maybe 20 lbs of hammock camping gears.
It says Medium on the shoulder but the waist is cinch closed together just it doesn't slip down from my waist.
I'm 32 on the waist, but, maybe its the thin clothing that I wear, that the waist belt slips down my waist.
No soreness on the shoulder. Actually nothing I can complain or report back about it.

So any tip or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same thought after watching the beginning of that video.....no way that pack's staying put under a load, that belt would bottom out in no time. And that Bino harness......I wouldn't suggest it.

As to your question, typically if you're buying a pack for heavy load hauling, and your are on the edge with sizes, you want to size down to prevent bottoming out the waist belt adjustment. For what it's worth, I'm between a 30 and 32 waist and had to run a small MR belt on the NICE frame. Same with a Stone Glacier. I got away with a medium belt on a Scapegoat, but that pack didn't see 80 lb loads.

For what it's worth , I'd also encourage you to size up bags if you plan on doing anything more than a day hunt with that bag. Overnights are totally doable, but you have to have gear dialed tight. There's also a time/place where the load shelf concept makes sense, but I find the general idea of making your pack volume bigger via load shelf more of a marketing point than a useful day to day feature. There's a gigantic difference in putting a thin, dense dry sack of heavy mat against your frame vs a bulky load of camp stuff, which really cantilevers the backpack away from your body.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

I email MR CS for a possible Trade with Medium to Small.
Will report back on their reply, which they are good for anyway.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I am just carrying in a spike camp I use a haul bag on the load shelf with either ALL gear or definitely all the heavy gear and only light stuff in my daypack as needed if I have to much volume to carry, then I drop camp and hunt with my daypack and also haul meat with it on the shelf (which is dense as noted). It avoids an oversized bag with lots of straps (typically) in my day to day which is my personal preference. However if backpack hunting I would definitely use a larger bag suited to haul it all well since you are carrying it all around multiple places.

Fellas, that pintler bag is really nice. I looked at Mystery Ranch a couple months ago. My biggest concern was the hip belt. I realize the GL frame is new and, not a lot of reviews on it. But, for the guys that have used a kifaru and a GL belt, which one settles in best and is more comfortable? It just doesn't look padded enough or, wide enough in both thickness and in height. I have some packs that have the more marrow belts and they just don't hold the weight as comfortably or, aren't nearly as comfortable as my Kifaru.

I also agree, that guy made a mistake. Should have went with the small belt. A decent load is going to showcase that for him. God Bless

NDGuy

WKR
I also agree, that guy made a mistake. Should have went with the small belt. A decent load is going to showcase that for him. God Bless

Alright all of you guys got me freaked out. How do I know if a belt is "oversized" I got a medium waist belt and after watching that video I guess I don't see what the big deal was.

I have a 34in waist 5'6".

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Alright all of you guys got me freaked out. How do I know if a belt is "oversized" I got a medium waist belt and after watching that video I guess I don't see what the big deal was.

Load it up and go for a hike. You should be fine though. I'm about a 33 waist and the medium is perfect.

sr80

WKR

you want to be able to tighten the waist belt as tight as you can around your hips. The guy in the video, his belt is tight as it goes and its still loose on his body, so any weight he has to pack will be all on his shoulders, not on his hips....and if i can make a prediction, he will make another video after actually using his pack, and say that the mystery ranch DOES NOT haul heavy loads well at all. Thats just my prediction.

I cant stand when people make these videos reviewing gear that they havent even used, or know anything about. Yes he said its just a overview but still

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am a 33" waist and run their medium frames which is the 29-34" belt and 19-21" torso. On the NICE frame that was a small belt, I can't find any labels on the guide light belt for sizing. Cranked down I have about 1" to go still on both. My buddy with a 31" waist could not tighten down a NICE frame small belt down enough once the loads got over 60lb, picked him up some XS pads to use with that. Long story short I wouldn't pick a belt you are on the bottom end of the sizing for if you plan to haul as you will run out of tightening down adjustment.

Dameon

WKR
I agree with Pods8. I have a 31 inch waist and my NICE frame originally had a small belt. Even with an OV mean pad, I bottomed out the belt. I did one 10 day hunt with it carrying 35 pounds everyday and it sucked on day three. It got unbearable on day 5. I lost 12 lbs over 10 days and I couldn't get my belt cinched down any further for climbing and descending the slopes. I had to roll up a towel and shove it on the backside of the belt so I can get the belt tight.

I bought the extra small pads for my belt as soon as I could find them from the classifieds here. Truth be told, I would have paid twice as much as the guy wanted to get what I needed as MR was out of stock. After I switched out the belt pads, I went deer hunting with my 25 pound stand and steps strapped to 22 pounds of day hunting essentials on my Longbow pack, and I hardly noticed the weight. It was a night and day difference. If you have any doubt about what size belt to go with, go with the smaller one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked one up as well, I've just done one 50lb sand bag hike with it and then switched back to my NICE for a hike (and now I'll go back to the guidelight) trying to compare. I think I need to watch any videos they have to make sure I've got the guide light adjusted right. My initial impression was that I liked the frame portion just fine which was comfortable hiking with that load but was not impressed with the belt versus the NICE. It doesn't cup my hips like the NICE does and felt like the lumbar was sliding down during the hike and starting to load my shoulders but that is where I want to make sure I have it setup right (might just need the yoke higher and let the load settle or figure out how to adjust the belt a bit). If they had stuck with the NICE type belt on that frame it seems like it would have been an awesome setup for my body I think.

Long story short no crushing loads yet.

Figured out the lumbar slip issue I was getting. I wasn't use the rear corner frame straps (never needed to on the NICE frame in my experience). I engaged those on my load panel and voila it stiffened that bottom corner up and planted the lumbar.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

I email MR CS for a possible Trade with Medium to Small.
Will report back on their reply, which they are good for anyway.

From MR CS
... yes, we do offer smaller waistbelt options for purchase. We do not have the waistbelts in stock at this time. We are expected to have them around the end of July or early August.

wow, their hunting line is really back logged.
as far as trading in a Medium to a Small, was not addressed or honestly got mis-read.

glad pack is not a priority for me at the moment. anything other than this pack, I would have moved on to a different company.
not sure what is going on with MR Hunting line and what are the rumors.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Pintler for a few months now and regularly use it 2-3 times a week for cardio training. I have a 50 lb sand bag I throw in there and once I figured out how to load it correctly I am now carrying even more weight. I carried 70 lbs on a 6 mile hike yesterday with approximately 2k elevation gain and I felt good enough to go to the gym the following morning. I'm 6' 165 with a 32" waist and I use the small belt and small yoke. I originally tried a medium frame but the yoke was a little too big. The small yoke is close to being maxed out but it fits better overall. I definitely recommend a small belt if you have a 32" waist. My belt is extremely close to being maxed out when I cinch it down.

I'm going scouting this weekend and bringing the pintler. I need to figure out how many days I can realistically do out of this pack. I honestly don't think I'll be able to go more than 3 days with running to the truck to resupply if I bivy hunt. If you use the overload shelf to bring in a base camp then you might be able to stretch it a little longer. I'm also slowly realizing that if I do use it to bivy hunt for multiple days I most likely wont be able to bring a spotter or tripod because of the limited space. For my cow and spike elk tags I don't really care if I bring the spotter but for my buck tag I will need to either bring a buddy or day hunt from the truck. Again I have not used it on a hunt yet so none of this is confirmed but these are my initial impressions for the gear I bring.

All in all I do love the pack and frame. I really hope that they sell the marshall bags individually sometime soon since I would like to get one of those for extended trips. The metcalf is nice but is more of a jack of all trades where I feel that the marshall and pintler have more of a specific use.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
More capacity you say? Here was my guide light loaded up the other day. ;) (Dang kids daypacks weren't big enough for their sleeping bags. Light but bulky 6man tent, 4 sleeping bags, 4 pads, and my clothes.

kEPzpgEl.jpg