MR Cabinet or Pintler

UtahJimmy

WKR
About to pull the trigger on a Mystery Ranch pack on the guide light frame.

Which version would you choose and why?

Cabinet
Volume: 2685 cu-in (44 L)
Weight: 5.7 lbs (2.6 kg)

Pintler
Volume: 2502 cu-in (41 L)
Weight: 5.4 lbs (2.4 kg

elkyinzer

WKR
Depends what you need it for.

Cabinet is obviously a very versatile pack. Jack of all trades, a good niche to offer a pack in, but users with singular focus in mind will be better off looking elsewhere. It can be a functional but heavy daypack. Paired with a drybag and lid, it can be a functional but heavy and difficult to load mid size overnight. Where it really excels is carrying odd loads like bear bait, coolers, treestands, 1/4 kegs, pretty much anything you can figure out how to strap in.

Pinter is a really nice, light daypack but you have to be a pretty strict minimalist to camp out of it. Has a nice load shelf you can get creative with.

For all around use you have to consider the Metcalf too because it barely weighs more than the Pintler but has more functionality as an overnighter.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Majority of my hunting has been day hunting. This offseason, I've significantly downsized my sleeping setup so I can spike out instead of hike out and back in the next morning. I plan on using this pack for weekend excursions and day hunts, but I want that hauling capacity at the ready.

I definitely agree that the Metcalf is a solid choice, but I think I would end up getting a Marshall (or other large, mountable) bag to pair with the above options for when I need to get 5-7+ days out of my bag.

Dameon

WKR
For what you are describing, I would recommend the Pintler. I have the Longbow which is the older generation of the same bag and use it for day hunts and overnighters. If I carry food in a dry bag between the bag and frame, I can easily get a whole weekend out of it. For anything longer, I use my Marshall.

I have and use the crew cab which is similar to the cabinet for the same type of use. I really like it. It is a bit complex sometimes and occasionally I found myself just wanting a bag to throw things in without the need to tighten 5-6 straps.

I bought a overload which is the military version of the pintler on a Nice frame to replace my crew cab and I have never used it. Looking at the two side by side and because the crew cab was already used, I stayed with it.

Both great packs. You really can't go wrong. The cabinet is a great day pack and can haul. Pintler is going to be biggish for a day pack and smallish for longer excursions but the ability to strap a camp bag to each of them makes them very versatile.

frankrb3

WKR
I have and use the crew cab which is similar to the cabinet for the same type of use. I really like it. It is a bit complex sometimes and occasionally I found myself just wanting a bag to throw things in without the need to tighten 5-6 straps.

I have run a crew cab as a day hunting pack for the last two seasons and agree with desk jockey. Sometimes it is annoying trying to get things in and out of the pack with all the straps you must manage. This is the reason why I am looking at getting a 22" kifaru frame so I can run a 22 magnum pack for day hunts. I'm finding out I like a bag I can just throw stuff in and out of quickly without having to mess so many straps and zippers. With that being said, the crew cab (cabinet) is super versatile and can really adapt to so many situations once you know how to use it. I think the two packs you have chose are great options. What I would have recommended in the past is buy one pack with the frame and buy the other pack so you can have both. Since mystery ranch doesn't do that anymore I'm jumping ship and looking at kifaru for all my pack needs. I also like companies that make their stuff in America. I think you will be happy with either pack for the type of hunting you described. I don't think you will wish you had the cabinet if you get the pintler, but there may be times you wished you had the pintler if you go with the cabinet. Good luck.

NDGuy

WKR
Between the two unless you are going to be carrying awkward loads or a dry sack a lot I would get the Pintler. Pintler is a good sized day pack if you are hunting out of tree stands or truck camping. I was torn on the Pintler vs Metcalf decision and ended up getting the Metcalf.

It came down to the Met being able to do everything the Pintler can but also stretch out to a 5 day backpack hunt if need be. Also know if you get a Metcalf or Cabinet you can buy the Pintler bag separately starting next year.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
As always, thanks for the feedback! Sounds like the Pintler is the one I need.

Now if only I can decide between foliage and multicam!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

As always, thanks for the feedback! Sounds like the Pintler is the one I need.

Now if only I can decide between foliage and multicam!

Foliage is nice (for me) until it gets dirty or bloody. Rather dull to look at. I'm such a fashionista....I like the multicam Pintler so much better with those coyote touches and zippers over the multicam. My heart flutters.....

My hunting buddy just got one in the new Desolve camo pattern and I think he'll look sooo good wearing it.

:D

NDGuy

WKR
My hunting buddy just got one in the new Desolve camo pattern and I think he'll look sooo good wearing it.

I do like the Desolve pattern so far. One thing to take note is that the tan color in the pattern is a lot darker than in the pictures. Just an FYI for everyone.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Foliage is nice (for me) until it gets dirty or bloody. Rather dull to look at. I'm such a fashionista....I like the multicam Pintler so much better with those coyote touches and zippers over the multicam. My heart flutters.....

I don't think the coyote webbing will coordinate all enough will my darker brown shoe laces. The contrast will not allow me to blend in naturally to my surroundings.

Went with the foliage, hopefully I get to see it in all its dull, bloodyness this fall!

Bigtex

FNG
So MR will be selling the pintler bag alone next year? Do you know if they plan to offer the other bags by themselves, such as the Metcalf?

I'm thinking about getting the pintler now and hoping to buy a bigger bag later.

So MR will be selling the pintler bag alone next year? Do you know if they plan to offer the other bags by themselves, such as the Metcalf?

I'm thinking about getting the pintler now and hoping to buy a bigger bag later.

I really do love my Mystery Ranch packs, but I'd sooner bet on the ponies than whether MR will ever make bags-alone available for sale. Yes...yes...I've heard and read it, but they've been dreadfully slow about supplying hunting packs and related gear over the past year-plus. In this age of rapid product development and deployment, their difficulties getting a full product selection to market has certainly added a bit of ironic logic to the name "Mystery" Ranch.

I wouldn't make a purchase today based on a promise tomorrow. Buy the right pack right now and put it to the test. Frankly, the Pintler combined with a 2L (or bigger) load cell has better versatility for me than a bigger pack bag, AND I can make it happen today.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR

I believe that is the plan. But as Kevin pointed out don't count on it for sure.

I'm really digging the Pintler. I have only done 2 overnights with it thus far, but I can get 3-4 days with my setup without using the load shelf.

sr80

WKR
not to derail this thread, but has anyone hauled any heavy loads with the guide light frame?? Can't seem to find any input how this new frame handles big loads

muddydogs

WKR
I haven't hauled a heavy load but I'll tell ya my Cabinet bag and Guide Light frame hauls 40 ish pounds better then my Eberlestock Dragonfly.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
not to derail this thread, but has anyone hauled any heavy loads with the guide light frame?? Can't seem to find any input how this new frame handles big loads

I picked one up as well, I've just done one 50lb sand bag hike with it and then switched back to my NICE for a hike (and now I'll go back to the guidelight) trying to compare. I think I need to watch any videos they have to make sure I've got the guide light adjusted right. My initial impression was that I liked the frame portion just fine which was comfortable hiking with that load but was not impressed with the belt versus the NICE. It doesn't cup my hips like the NICE does and felt like the lumbar was sliding down during the hike and starting to load my shoulders but that is where I want to make sure I have it setup right (might just need the yoke higher and let the load settle or figure out how to adjust the belt a bit). If they had stuck with the NICE type belt on that frame it seems like it would have been an awesome setup for my body I think.

Long story short no crushing loads yet.

I used mine to pack out all the meat plus the head from a bull (moose) I killed in Alaska last September. I did 9 loads over a 1-1/2 day period and the Guide Light performed flawlessly for me. It handled that bulky head/antlers with zero problems. I too thought the updated belt on the GL frame seemed a step downward in terms of luxury and comfort...until I put it to heavy use. I had no hot-spots and no problem keeping the load in place over my hip bones. All that packing happened after 12 days of hunting and using my Pintler as a day/hunting pack the entire time. I got to know it pretty well.