Pack warranties

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of much appreciated opinion sharing going on here...I wonder if any of the pack companies will chime in at some point. I think the high end pack companies are Exo, Kifaru, Seek Outside and Stone Glacier...am I leaving anyone out?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mystery Ranch

Speaking of warranties... are there such things as indestructible pack clips and buckles. I can destroy plastic, plus I feel bad calling for new ones since it's not pack mfg's fault that I'm dumb.

Lots of much appreciated opinion sharing going on here...I wonder if any of the pack companies will chime in at some point. I think the high end pack companies are Exo, Kifaru, Seek Outside and Stone Glacier...am I leaving anyone out?

Barney's is also often overlooked on here, but I think that's because it's not modern or sexy looking, but from what I understand it's a workhorse and a favorite of a lot of Alaskan guides.

Daniel_M

WKR
Barneys packs are a staple in the guide industry. Not hard to find a guy who has an original, 25yo pack and frame.

There is a fresh sales ad for a Barneys Pack, if I were in the market I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
Mystery Ranch
Duh...how could I forget them! For me, it's a toss up between Seek Outside and Exo. There are things I like about both packs and as it relates to this post topic, they both have similar warranties. I've heard that Exo takes care of second hand owners as if they were the original owner...I haven't anything about Seek Outside on this though.

LBFowler

WKR
Speaking of warranties... are there such things as indestructible pack clips and buckles. I can destroy plastic, plus I feel bad calling for new ones since it's not pack mfg's fault that I'm dumb.

There are some metal options, but most aren't a perfect solution. ITW Ghooks are awesome, but don't always hold tension. There are metal triglides too, but I think they are more abrasive to the webbing and you can still bend them so they won't work, but still probably stronger then plastic.

2ski

WKR
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if these points have been made. But what does any company gain from giving a warranty on their products after the original owner? They aren't making any money off of the secondary purchase. Sure you could argue, that person may buy a product from them in the future but the number of consumers that does that is a small percentage. Maybe you do, but you are in a very small minority. So there is no incentive to the company to do that.

If all y'all cared so much about people manufacturers warrantying things for life for all owners, everyone here carries Hi-Point pistols right? I mean since its so important to you and all.......

IdahoElk

WKR
So if I go to a used car lot and buy an f-350 with 200k on it and the tranny goes it should be replaced by Ford free of charge?
I like that but Ford won't be in business very long.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if I go to a used car lot and buy an f-350 with 200k on it and the tranny goes it should be replaced by Ford free of charge?
If it were still under the warranty the original owner would have had, I sure do expect it to transfer.

Yeah that's a terrible example. The point here is that the original purchaser would've been covered, so it's more along the line of a used F-350 with only 26,000 miles and the tranny goes out I would certainly expect Ford to fix it. My brother had a recent experience with Lexus where they cut him a check for a part he had to replace even though it was out of warranty because it was a known problem with the vehicle. Now I guarantee he will be looking at a Lexus for his next car first.

IdahoElk

WKR
My mistake,I thought people were implying that a pack company should repair/replace packs for free no matter how old or how many times it has been resold.

Yeah that's a terrible example. The point here is that the original purchaser would've been covered, so it's more along the line of a used F-350 with only 26,000 miles and the tranny goes out I would certainly expect Ford to fix it. My brother had a recent experience with Lexus where they cut him a check for a part he had to replace even though it was out of warranty because it was a known problem with the vehicle. Now I guarantee he will be looking at a Lexus for his next car first.

a lifetime warranty... vs limited.

Another example of lifetime.... find an old pair/old version of vortex razor bino's for sale.. buy them....drop them and break them on purpose and send them to vortex and get brand new Razor HD ones for basically a highly discounted price.

Lifetime warranties means higher retail costs.

I like lifetime non-transferable. Best warranty that I'm not paying out arse for

I wish every manufacturer had the same warranty as Vortex. I'm pretty sure those warranties transfer to new owners. I've had zero problems with my scope, but knowing of their warranty definitely influenced my decision to buy their product.

I bought a used pack frame that had some torn stitching ( where the shoulder strap attaches to the belt) and a broken clip for the chest strap. I was told from the manufacturer that they would sell me a new chest strap but the torn stitching wouldn't be cost effective to repair and I should just buy a new belt so I'd get the updated pull system. Don't get me wrong, I love the frame ( mom fixed the torn stitches) and would buy a newer version when I get the money, but it sure would have been nice to have a no questions guarantee like Vortex.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
To me, a lifetime warranty is unrealistic(or at least the implication is). How about a realistic warranty that follows the pack...maybe a 5 year warranty or something. These companies are obviously implying that their product is superior...I say put your money where your mouth is.

Snyder told me he'd take care of me if my EMR II I bought on here failed for whatever reason. #kifarulife lol

My mistake,I thought people were implying that a pack company should repair/replace packs for free no matter how old or how many times it has been resold.
People were mainly complaining about non-transferable warranties. But to your point a lot of people don't understand the subjective nature of a lifetime warranty. It's not for your lifetime, it's for the lifetime of the product whatever the manufacturer may determine that to be. Wear and tear, whatever they deem is 'normal' is not covered. In your example a tranny going out at 200k, while usually lasting longer than that with proper maintainance, is normal wear and tear.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
People were mainly complaining about non-transferable warranties. But to your point a lot of people don't understand the subjective nature of a lifetime warranty. It's not for your lifetime, it's for the lifetime of the product whatever the manufacturer may determine that to be. Wear and tear, whatever they deem is 'normal' is not covered. In your example a tranny going out at 200k, while usually lasting longer than that with proper maintainance, is normal wear and tear.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Which is why I have little sympathy for companies making such claims. They could say, right up front: "Product is warrantied for the average lifetime of such a product, which is 4 years." -- Instead, they just say lifetime (which the average consumer understands as his lifetime), put a bunch of limitations in the fine print, and exploit the confusion to get a higher price for their product.

Which is why I have little sympathy for companies making such claims. They could say, right up front: "Product is warrantied for the average lifetime of such a product, which is 4 years." -- Instead, they just say lifetime (which the average consumer understands as his lifetime), put a bunch of limitations in the fine print, and exploit the confusion to get a higher price for their product.

The good and bad part about lifetime warranties is that it takes into account how often the product is actually used. Someone that uses their pack once a year should get longer warranty than someone like me that uses it for cardio 4-7 times per week. Also, there are some parts that shouldn't break no matter how much you use it. For instance amount of use should have nothing to do with the chest strap for example, but time and sunlight can weaken plastic, so that part should be a how old is it part, not how much was it used. But the waist belt getting a hole is more of a how much was it used not a how old is it replacement.