Exo K2 3500 Backpack review**Review Complete 12/6/17**

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Had some luck in WY last week. This was my dad's buck. I'm hoping to have this review written soon.

ba2b35b1824982559478ce6e2fbb04ef.jpg

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for putting this together, Justin. Further proof I made a good choice. Would a Kifaru gun bearer be easy to attach to the EXO?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The gun bearer is simple to add to the exo I ran it all fall

Attachments

• EFEF6687-150F-43EF-BB46-0ED2A141BA04.jpg
    EFEF6687-150F-43EF-BB46-0ED2A141BA04.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Is this pack lighter in weight than the comparable kifaru? Also what is the closest comparable kifaru pack to this Exo?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Is this pack lighter in weight than the comparable kifaru? Also what is the closest comparable kifaru pack to this Exo?

Tony,

Good questions. I think the Kifaru Woodsman is probably the closest pack in their lineup to the Exo K2 3500. With the Hunting Platform Frame the Kifaru will be about 5 oz heavier. The Reckoning or DT2 are also pretty close but are a bit bigger and they would put you a little more than a lb heavier.

Have you tried any of the stone glacier stuff compared to the exo and kifaru? How is the material on each against rips and abrasion? I am tough on my packs and none have held up for day packs . Tenzing, badlands, easton, etc.. actually my cheap easton is the only one I haven't had any problems with so far

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried any of the stone glacier stuff compared to the exo and kifaru? How is the material on each against rips and abrasion? I am tough on my packs and none have held up for day packs . Tenzing, badlands, easton, etc.. actually my cheap easton is the only one I haven't had any problems with so far

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I actually reviewed the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 last year with overall good results.

If you want the absolute toughest pack, stick with Kifaru. Their packs are a little heavier than the other two but in my experience their materials are the best.

Justin,
How do you think the Exo 5500 compares to the Kifaru Reckoning? The 5500 is pretty close in size so decent comparison. I know you tested that 3500, but the Frame is the same.

Adam

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin,
How do you think the Exo 5500 compares to the Kifaru Reckoning? The 5500 is pretty close in size so decent comparison. I know you tested that 3500, but the Frame is the same.

Adam
The Exo is a great pack and I don't have anything bad to say about it.

The Kifaru is a little more comfortable for me, especially when the loads get heavier. Kifaru gives you a lot more options for customizing as well.

But they discontinued Coyote right before I was going to buy, terrible! Not everyone wants a camo pack and I wasnt in a rush to buy as I figured noone discontinues a standby solid color like Coyote Tan. Too bad, they look to be a great pack.

Dusty2426

WKR
But they discontinued Coyote right before I was going to buy, terrible! Not everyone wants a camo pack and I wasnt in a rush to buy as I figured noone discontinues a standby solid color like Coyote Tan. Too bad, they look to be a great pack.

When it’s on your back you don’t see the color.

Steve did say that they were selling 10 Ranger packs for every 1 Coyote pack, so it made sense to get rid of Coyote. If you don't want camo, get Ranger.

JNDEER

WKR
Going to revive this thread.

Great review Justin.

Has anyone compared the 2014/2015 original EXO frame/bag to the new 2017 EXO frame/bag? I really want to know people opinions on this if they have.

Going to revive this thread.

Great review Justin.

Has anyone compared the 2014/2015 original EXO frame/bag to the new 2017 EXO frame/bag? I really want to know people opinions on this if they have.

Yes, the earlier frame will move more with the body, where as the K2 is sturdier under heavy loads.
Original frame the torso length needed adjusting after time underheavy load. It would lengthen on you.
K2 once shoulder/yoke are adjusted it doesn’t move no matter what. The 2017 also has thicker/larger hip belt and shoulder straps.

With that said, I wish they offered the original frame metal with the 2017 harness and hipbelt. Such a comfortable pack, I’d use it for deer and pronghorn and the K2 for elk. So far had original and now have K2 16 and K2 17