Kifaru Reckoning vs. Exo 3500

Wisco1

FNG
Hey folks, just finally got both packs in after waiting quite a while. I am so torn. They are both GREAT packs but I'm kind of kicking myself because I'm really comparing apples and oranges. The Exo is 3500ci, while the Reckoning is 5000+. Not that this is a huge difference, but it almost seems like these bags are two different classes -- the hybrid day pack that's big enough to haul meat versus the multi-day pack that's capable of being compressed into a day pack.

Disclosure: I'm a rookie with no experience in the mountains so I really have no clue what will fit my needs better. I hope to do 2 night spikes and don't necessarily anticipate longer (but you never know) so I think either pack would work. Please feel free to interject if I sound like I'm being an idiot. I likely don't have the packs set up perfectly, so to let me know if you know something I screwed up.

Short Review:

Comfort: Both are extremely comfortable with the 70 pounds I loaded them with but I'm going to give the slight edge to the Exo. The Kifaru's load lifters come off the pad a little and dig into my collar bone. I can easily adjust it once it's on my back and then it stays on the pad, just a minor annoyance when first putting on the pack. That being said, the Kifaru stores weight on my hips a little bit better than the Exo which seems to hold some more weight on my shoulders (this may be an issue on longer hikes with more weight).

Balance: This is a tie. On my back, I'll say the Exo. As mentioned, it's a smaller, more compact pack so I guess that's to be expected. I think the angled compression straps help keep it tight to my body when I lean one way or the other. On the ground, the Kifaru is more balanced. It's nice while packing to not have my pack falling over immediately after I let go. The Exo seems to be in a hurry to fall over.

Durability
: This goes to the Kifaru. This I can only base on short-term use. The buckles on the Kifaru feel much stronger than the Exo and the overall bag feels tougher. They both use 500d cordura so it's likely all in my head on the fabric. Also the Exo sags a little more than the Kifaru.

Layout: Exo. There are more built in pockets on this bag. I like the bottle holders on the sides and they're big enough to serve other purposes as well. The lid is a big plus for the Exo as the Kifaru comes without one (not looking to spend a lot more than I'm already dropping on these bags).

Overall, it kind of seems like I like the Exo better, but there's just something about the Kifaru. I like that it would give me the ability to take more should I ever want to go on a 5 day hunt and I really like Aron Snyder. But since I feel like it's a tie, I'll probably go Exo since I can save 100 bucks.

Anyone have some thoughts to add before I make the decision? Things I may be overlooking. Things I'm doing wrong. Etc.. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I have the reckoning. It may not be perfect, but the extra volume is a must for backpack hunting. 3500 won't work for longer hunts, but I bet you can get 5 days out of it with good gear.

Last edited:
I'd say your initial impression is pretty much spot on.

I've had an internal frame T1 for five seasons now and the 3500 for three. The Kifaru is primarily my backpacking pack while the Exo is my primary hunting pack. Until I get to four or more days as I can't make the 3500 work for that long. Others can but not I.

I strap a tarp or pad to the bottom of the Exo so it doesn't topple over every time I take it off. Seems to be designed that way.

Everybody needs a family of packs and either of those is a great start but up to three days hunting I'm carrying the Exo more often than not.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I will be getting 7 days out of my 3500, so it all depends on how you hunt. It is a good size daypack but you can get much more out of it then that if you really want to. Can always use the space between the bag and the frame if you want to as well.

rockmail2

WKR
FYI...the 3500 bag is actually closer to 4500 ci when you count the side pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
From what I understand the 5500 is only 6oz more than the 3500,
So if you go with the exo I would go bigger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You should be able to get 5 days out of a 3500, but you might as well get the 5500. I just received my 5500 and it is HUGE when fully expanded. I think their cubic inch measurement is extremely modest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kifaru's load lifters come off the pad a little and dig into my collar bone. I can easily adjust it once it's on my back and then it stays on the pad, just a minor annoyance when first putting on the pack.

I am not quite getting what you are saying is happening here. It may simply be an adjustment issue.

Layout: Exo. There are more built in pockets on this bag. I like the bottle holders on the sides and they're big enough to serve other purposes as well. The lid is a big plus for the Exo as the Kifaru comes without one (not looking to spend a lot more than I'm already dropping on these bags).

When I was first looking at packs I thought this was a good thing as well, but the more I started using my Kifaru the more I appreciated the modularity. Every trip isn't the same and I find myself switching out pockets and adding pods and stuff based on what I am bringing. I'll admit that it is a bigger cost to have all those pockets at your disposal, but it doesn't take long to accumulate them if you keep your eye out on the classifieds and in the Rhino Den.

What would have been a more apples to apples comparison would've been the Woodsman vs the 3500. I do have an Exo 3500 that I put on my Kifaru frame every once in a while and it is a nice pack, but for me the Kifaru frame is what makes it. I have both a 26" (hunting) and 28" (tactical) frame and they are by far the most comfortable packs I've owned. I have yet to find the perfect multi-day pack for me to go on the frame, but the 22 Mag is the perfect day pack. I am currently getting some customizations done to an Argali to make what will essentially be a hybrid between an AMR and a Reckoning that I will be picking up tomorrow and will hopefully meet my needs.

I think which one is right for you needs to come down to if you ever want to carry over 70lbs. If they both fit you, you don't really see any benefits of the Kifaru for you and you are only going to be loading it up once every 3 years (average for an okay elk hunter) then you may be most happy with the Exo and saving some $.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure the exo measurement of 3500 and 5500 ci is just the main bag. That doesn't include lid and side/back pockets.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks, just finally got both packs in after waiting quite a while. I am so torn. They are both GREAT packs but I'm kind of kicking myself because I'm really comparing apples and oranges. The Exo is 3500ci, while the Reckoning is 5000+. Not that this is a huge difference, but it almost seems like these bags are two different classes -- the hybrid day pack that's big enough to haul meat versus the multi-day pack that's capable of being compressed into a day pack.

Disclosure: I'm a rookie with no experience in the mountains so I really have no clue what will fit my needs better. I hope to do 2 night spikes and don't necessarily anticipate longer (but you never know) so I think either pack would work. Please feel free to interject if I sound like I'm being an idiot. I likely don't have the packs set up perfectly, so to let me know if you know something I screwed up.

Short Review:

Comfort: Both are extremely comfortable with the 70 pounds I loaded them with but I'm going to give the slight edge to the Exo. The Kifaru's load lifters come off the pad a little and dig into my collar bone. I can easily adjust it once it's on my back and then it stays on the pad, just a minor annoyance when first putting on the pack. That being said, the Kifaru stores weight on my hips a little bit better than the Exo which seems to hold some more weight on my shoulders (this may be an issue on longer hikes with more weight).

Balance: This is a tie. On my back, I'll say the Exo. As mentioned, it's a smaller, more compact pack so I guess that's to be expected. I think the angled compression straps help keep it tight to my body when I lean one way or the other. On the ground, the Kifaru is more balanced. It's nice while packing to not have my pack falling over immediately after I let go. The Exo seems to be in a hurry to fall over.

Durability
: This goes to the Kifaru. This I can only base on short-term use. The buckles on the Kifaru feel much stronger than the Exo and the overall bag feels tougher. They both use 500d cordura so it's likely all in my head on the fabric. Also the Exo sags a little more than the Kifaru.

Overall, it kind of seems like I like the Exo better, but there's just something about the Kifaru. I like that it would give me the ability to take more should I ever want to go on a 5 day hunt and I really like Aron Snyder. But since I feel like it's a tie, I'll probably go Exo since I can save 100 bucks.

Anyone have some thoughts to add before I make the decision? Things I may be overlooking. Things I'm doing wrong. Etc.. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm looking at the same packs.

One question I have, how would you compare the ability to compress them down into a day pack mode?

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my buddy purchased and exo and a stone glacier x curve to do a comparison. I have to say I was very impressed with the exo. I would recommend this pack to anyone. Great design comfortable and hauls weight very well. We tested with an 85lb sandbag. The comfort was impressive.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my buddy purchased and exo and a stone glacier x curve to do a comparison. I have to say I was very impressed with the exo. I would recommend this pack to anyone. Great design comfortable and hauls weight very well. We tested with an 85lb sandbag. The comfort was impressive.

I also have the exo 3500, but just curious of what you thought of the SG x-curve?