Packs on planes

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
How do you guys travel with your packs? I've never done it before, but I imagine they won't let you carry on something like a Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Marshall even if it's only partially loaded (for compress-ability). I don't like the idea of checking the bag due to handling damage. Dismantling the bag and stashing it in luggage seems like a huge waste of real estate.

How does everyone do it?

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I pack mine on the plane. They let me throw my swaro spotter, 15s and reg binos along with my outdoorsman tri pod. I do this everytime. I would hate to show up with out my gear or have it get stolen. Knives go in the carry on.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Putting your pack inside a large cotton sack (kinda like the ones you store a sleeping bag loose in) works well. The heavier duty the sack depends on personal preference. The main purpose is to contain all the loose straps and buckles from catching on the conveyor belts.

I have checked a backpack plenty of times by cinching everything down as tight as possible then running a strip of duct tape over the tails of the straps. Reverse the hip belt and cinch it around the pack instead of creating a loop in front where your waist would be. There is a risk this way, but if its a good pack it can take some abuse.

Put your pack in a MIL surplus duffle bag and check it in. Cheaper than shipping it and it won't get damaged that way.

I've flown with packs a lot and never had anyone complain about the size of my carry-on. If it's a small plane with tiny overhead space the airline will typically check it for free at the gate anyway.

OP
S

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
OK. I will probably plan to carry mine on but I won't stuff it full so it wont be a problem to get inside the overhead bin. I was just worried about the dimensions and possible issues with the extra buckles and straps or waist belt getting hung up or damaged.

darbuh

FNG
I've never had an issue carrying on with Exo 5500 with gear (1/2 dozen flights to AK or so). Just don't blow it out and make sure to cinch it down tight. I have had them check at the gate a couple times but typically they will be doing that with others carry on luggage as well.

I take my optics with me and boots, some of the heavier items......seems to work for me anyways.

Good luck!

I used my Kifaru pack and frame as one of my pieces of luggage when I went to and from Korea last year. I just ordered one of their XL duffel bags and stuffed everything I could in my pack then through that in my duffel bag and checked it in. I also use my 22" frame with a 22 mag bag as my carry on bag for when I travel.

Jimss

WKR
I go unguided so bring a lot of gear. Obviously the cost of excess baggage fees adds up in a hurry but I've found a number of ways to save quite a bit of cash. My last 2 trips to Alaska via Alaska Air I've carried my giant Kifaru EMR II on the plane plus a giant camera case. It's a pain in the rear carrying through the airport but I have around 60 lbs of gear on back! It saves 1 more bag that I don't have to pay for (both directions). I have my camcorder, cameras, binos, spotting scope, rangefinder, etc in my camera case. As mentioned above it's nice carrying on optics and other gear that could end up broken or missing. I fill my pack with bulky gear that would take up a lot of room in my rifle case and 2nd bag. Make sure your pack is the indicated dimensions to fit in the overhead and you'll be fine.

I gut the foam in my rifle case and fill it full of clothes, fishing rods, trekking poles, bow/rifle, etc. My rifle case is as big as they come and is on a couple wheels. The wheels are really nice for loading other bags on and hauling gear through airports. The 2nd bag I use is an action packer. I usually weigh each bag to make sure I'm not over the weight limits.

OP
S

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
Never thought about stuffing the gun case with other items aside from very small stuff. Great idea.

I have a pelican double gun wheeled case with two foam layers so that should actually work out great.