Kifaru Fulcrum

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Folded flat, the guide lid is about 2/3 the length of the native but slightly wider than the native. I'm going on a trip this weekend I'm planning filming a comparison to post up next week. The native is a much more versatile stand alone pack than the guide imo, with being able to attach more than one pocket or a long pocket to the back. I think one of the biggest things people were wanting was the ability to put their water bladder in that approach pack, which the guide couldn't really do. Something I'm excited about with it is using it as a glassing pack near camp. I can fit my spotter, tripod, puffy, possibles pullout, etc then headlamp, map, food etc in a pocket on the back, and really have the essentials. The guide lid I just can't really do that, at least as well. Aron explains it simply as if you just want a lid roll with the guide, but if you want that glassing/fishing/approach type addition that can be carried as a lid, go with the Native.

Hopefully I can explain it in the video better than this post. Haha.

You don't find the Native to be overly big on a pack like the Fulcrum which is already large?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't find the Native to be overly big on a pack like the Fulcrum which is already large?

I really don't. I wouldn't load it to the brim while packing in unless I had to. But for my normal lid gear, and camera stuff it works really well and isn't super big I don't think. Once I get the guide/native comparison done hopefully you'll get a better idea of size on it. I had the same worries until I received the bag, and now I really see its purpose.

geriggs

WKR
ordered. Said it should be ready by July 5th. will get some pics up soon as I load it up.

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone received a shipping notification for their pack? Mine was suppose to ship yesterday but I didn't get a notification.

fatrascal

WKR
I guess I dont really see the need for the Native on the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is huge and on day hunts away from camp it is designed to compress down to as small or large as you want it and use the pack itself as your day pack. Then I thought about the extra weight of the Native as compared to the Guide lid but found in this post that the difference is only 6 ounces. So if I was at a base camp with my truck and hiking away from it I could see going out with the Native on glassing trips while scouting before season. But if Im in a hunting situation and hiking in several miles I would not take a seperate day pack. In fact I feel that the Guide lid is kinda too big. But if Im in several miles with a base bivvy camp and I leave my camp to go glass, Im not going to go glass with a Native. Im going to go glass with my pack so that if I see the animal i want to stalk Im going to go with my pack so that I can leave my glassing spot with my meat pack already on my back. I do not want to go back to camp to change out from a day pack to a meat pack. To me the idea of bivvy hunting is to go as light and small as I can. I understand the use of a Native with the Nomad as the center piece but still I would not take a camp bag and a Native at the same time with the Nomad. Everybody hunts differently and some people are a minimilist and some want every doo dad possible but too me the Native with the Fulcrum is too much.
Fatrascal.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I dont really see the need for the Native on the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is huge and on day hunts away from camp it is designed to compress down to as small or large as you want it and use the pack itself as your day pack. Then I thought about the extra weight of the Native as compared to the Guide lid but found in this post that the difference is only 6 ounces. So if I was at a base camp with my truck and hiking away from it I could see going out with the Native on glassing trips while scouting before season. But if Im in a hunting situation and hiking in several miles I would not take a seperate day pack. In fact I feel that the Guide lid is kinda too big. But if Im in several miles with a base bivvy camp and I leave my camp to go glass, Im not going to go glass with a Native. Im going to go glass with my pack so that if I see the animal i want to stalk Im going to go with my pack so that I can leave my glassing spot with my meat pack already on my back. I do not want to go back to camp to change out from a day pack to a meat pack. To me the idea of bivvy hunting is to go as light and small as I can. I understand the use of a Native with the Nomad as the center piece but still I would not take a camp bag and a Native at the same time with the Nomad. Everybody hunts differently and some people are a minimilist and some want every doo dad possible but too me the Native with the Fulcrum is too much.
Fatrascal.

I understand what your saying. The Fulcrum doesn't really need it for extra space but as an approach pack on the final 300 yards to a deer stalk it'll be awesome. But to each their own, my point on the native was that it's better than the guide lid if your taking it off to use as a day pack or whatever. I know a couple of north country guides that specifically asked for something like this for sheep hunts because the guide was too small, and especially small for putting a bladder in. So like you said it has its purpose outside of season but always has a valid place while hunting. For the minimalist maybe not as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ordered a Fulcrum today, they quoted me at 3 weeks for shipping. He also said the reckoning packs were tough to keep in stock. Just thought id give a head up to anybody ordering a Fulcrum...I shoulda ordered it a week ago.

Brendan

WKR
Just an FYI - I'm past my "Requested Ship Date" without hearing anything yet, so 3 weeks came and went for me. Not a big deal for me but anyone considering one of these by hunting season - you might not want to wait too long.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just an FYI - I'm past my "Requested Ship Date" without hearing anything yet, so 3 weeks came and went for me. Not a big deal for me but anyone considering one of these by hunting season - you might not want to wait too long.

Hopefully they get it sorted because that's going to cause drama for me. I'm in a fairly narrow window before heading back to Alaska.

I guess I'll call them in a few weeks and see what the deal is.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully they get it sorted because that's going to cause drama for me. I'm in a fairly narrow window before heading back to Alaska.

I guess I'll call them in a few weeks and see what the deal is.

Yeah if you call them and say you need it for a trip, they'll rush it for you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah if you call them and say you need it for a trip, they'll rush it for you.

Id feel bad trying to jump the line though, Il see where they are at in a few weeks, if nothing else, I can see what other options are, They told me they can ship to ALaska which is cool but firstly, I wanted to do some hikes with it on this trip coming up and secondly, The village Im living in has been a bit sketchy in regards to recieving mail....shit sitting on the runway for several days with no notification, stuff disapearing etc.

Brendan

WKR
Just to be clear - I'm only a couple days past, mine could ship tomorrow for all I know.

But for those of you who haven't ordered from Kifaru before - they're built to order, and the "Requested Ship Date" is exactly that - "Requested" not "Promised". They'll usually bend over backwards for you if they can, but I've had a pack I ordered not arrive in time for a hunt because I didn't order early enough, and at this time of year - everyone wants them in time for the season.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just to be clear - I'm only a couple days past, mine could ship tomorrow for all I know.

But for those of you who haven't ordered from Kifaru before - they're built to order, and the "Requested Ship Date" is exactly that - "Requested" not "Promised". They'll usually bend over backwards for you if they can, but I've had a pack I ordered not arrive in time for a hunt because I didn't order early enough, and at this time of year - everyone wants them in time for the season.

Yeah I waited until the wrong time of year to get anything in a hurry....and it being a new product for them...

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Received my pack today, from initial impressions it improved on everything I didn't like about the Reckoning. Can't wait to get it to the mountains now!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have mine on the way, so I'll get videos up ASAP on the Fulcrum and comparing the reckoning and fulcrum.

I got mine a couple days ago. My expected date was the 30th... So far So good other than I accidentally sold a couple buckles with my old bag that were for attaching my guide lid... This is with out question the best designed bag I have seen.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Received my pack today, from initial impressions it improved on everything I didn't like about the Reckoning. Can't wait to get it to the mountains now!

I got mine a couple days ago. My expected date was the 30th... So far So good other than I accidentally sold a couple buckles with my old bag that were for attaching my guide lid... This is with out question the best designed bag I have seen.

Glad you got it a few days early. I'm hoping mine does the same. I'm taking my wife in a road trip to yellowstone and the Tetons before we head back up to Alaska and I'm hoping my pack gets here so I can load it up and dial it in on a bunch of day hikes while on the road trip.