Who uses Kifaru mesh and 500 D Pullouts? When? Why?

Dobermann

WKR
Okay, so I bought some of the Kifaru Ultralight Pullouts - and love them.

However, I'm trying to understand why people would use the mesh or 500 D options.

Broadly, I get that mesh means you can see what's inside, but they clearly won't provide water-resistance for the contents, and I read one person saying that they can actually lead to items absorbing atmospheric moisture.

For 500D, again, I get that they're more robust, and might both protect what's inside more - or protect things in other parts of your pack if you have sharper items in a 500D pullout. But does this really make a such a difference in practice to justify the weight penalty?

I'm curious to know just what items would really justify using either the mesh or 500D in these contexts?

So far, I've only come up with possibly using a mesh pullout to hang camp shoes on the outside of a pack after a river crossing, so they can dry out ... and a 500D for a fire kit or possibly stove kit, for all of the harder contents of these.

But surely there are more examples!

So: lay it on me - what do you store in a mesh Pullout - that you wouldn't store in an ultralight, and why?

Ditto for a 500D Pullout?

And why the does anyone choose a camo Pullout if it's going to just stay in your backpack?

i know this doesn't apply to most people but i use a mesh pullout to store my treestand harness, strap, and tether. if you climb wet trees these things will soak up water off the bark and they really start to stink with certain species of trees. with a mesh bag, i'll get home and just hang the whole thing up so they can air out and dry.

Jauwater

WKR
I feel the exact opposite. The ultralight are nice, but why sacrifice the durability for the slight difference in weight. I basically will use a 500D for any loose type items. I use an XL sometimes Mega Ultralight for my clothes. Camo just looks cool. Same reason Osprey puts Electric Lime on the interior of their black packs. Beyond me really :) but I like anything Multicam. I have Multicam underwear.

To clarify though, to date, I've torn that fabric on several different occasions. I think I'm up to a Super Tarp, Sheep Tarp, 2 Stuff Sacks, and 3 Pullouts all torn from normal use IMO. I treat all my gear the same. I've never torn a 500D product to date.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
500 D pullout holds a small tool kit I haul around when setting up treestands. It's not inside a pack and usually in the bed of a truck and needs to be a little tougher. I also like 500 D for carrying tent stakes.

Even at 64 yrs of age I'm a rugged guy and can handle the weight penalty of a pullout since my entire pack is made of 500 D.:cool:

Tsnider

WKR
i have 2 UL sets and have been using them for about 6 months. recently i noticed 1 was wearing a hole already, i think my cookset. likley from the spork or pot handle. i will probably get a 500d one for it next year if it wears much more.

aside from that i dont see myself using the heavier ones.

fatrascal

WKR
Mesh pullout are for weight savings. Many people will put thier mountain house food bags in pullout to keep them contained. Or maybe clothes. Some people prefer the 500d due to strength and durability. Different strokes for different folks. Fatrascal.

I have used a mesh pullout for my toiletries. The idea was the airflow would let some if it dry. Toothbrush rag etc. But it was probably not necessary. Using a zip lock bag has worked as well.

K9Kelly

WKR
In addition to 500D durability, different colors, camo, mesh is also helpful for easy identification.

Example, my fire kit is a small coyote 500D, Tools in medium or large CB 500D (Spork, spare knife, tent pegs, folding saw, work gloves, etc). Toiletries and first aid (changed to a red zipper pull) in white UL pullouts. As for mesh, I picked up a black mesh that fits the water filter stuff nicely. I also like the mesh lock n load #10?, in place of the chamber pocket (larger and easy to see thru the mesh for small stuff).. headlamps, keys, cords, bug dope, batteries, IFAK fits here, etc. Cook kit just has a stuff sack. Food as well as spare clothes or whatever else go in UL pullouts.

Just how I run pull outs that's evolved over time, different sizes and types. I love em! For me, makes it easy to find something in particular, easy initial loadout, easy to switch packs but keep my kit basics consistent , easy to repack in the field, easy (kinda) to realize something is missing or misplaced.