Need Casual Backpack

jm1607

WKR
Not for hunting or hauling meat or anything. Just a standard "school backpack" style/size bag for taking on planes with me or whatever. Would like something fairly rugged, preferably tactical style like an X-Ray. Would like something about $150 or less so Kifaru is a little out of my price range. I don't want a super cheap $20 chinese military surplus style bag..

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
How about the Tarahumara pack from Hill People Gear? No personal experience with it, but it's a good looking pack.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I'm afraid it's just a little too small at only 1000ci? And the Umlindi is just a little out of my price range at $220...

I'm bad at measuring cubic inches but I'm thinking I need 1800-2500 give or take?

I could just get a Badlands pack or something even though it's not tactical.. It doesn't HAVE to be tactical. I just want something good quality

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a orginal CamelBak mother lode I've been thinking of selling. It's a great edc backpack

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, for a day to day school backpack, that's not a kifaru, I just watch steepandcheap.com for a northface. Found some pretty sweet deals there...

Good Luck!

Goruck rucker on sale would fit the bill. Great quality and comfortable shoulder straps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lapolicegear.com has a few tactical backpacks that might fit the bill. Had an Operator pack that I gave to a buddy and he drug that thing thru 2 years of paramedic school and back and forth to the station. Worked like a champ, still looks new, and around $50 if I remember correctly.

jfronk

FNG
I have to slumberjack strider and really like it. MSRP is $129 but they can be found for around $50 on Amazon. The HDPE sheet in the back is a nice feature to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medium Army Ruck. Cheap, would carry a load of books well and, fit the tactical requirement by default. Can't get anymore tactical than that. God Bless

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
Tom bihn, used Goruck, camelback, Vertx gammut.
I prefer non tactical while traveling.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
If you like tactical, USA made, legitimately battle proven for well over a decade, really overbuilt, with plenty of space check out the SPECOPS THE Pack. 2550ci, full of molle, several color options, and you could use it as a tow strap if needed. There's no other backpack with shoulder strap attachment points as reinforced as this pack. I don't think there is another pack on the market that has as many "had it and used it for multiple tours in the sandbox, then college and now is my range bag for over 10 years and still going strong" reviews as this pack. I don't think it gets a lot of attention because the design hasn't changed much since 2003 so everyone is bored with it, and usually want a new backpack every couple of years. I have had mine for 8 years and have used it harder than any other pack I own and it still looks like you could wash it and sell it as brand new other than the buckles being gouged and scared and polished. That's more than I can say for my more expensive packs I've only owned for a couple of years. I've no affiliation with the company. Wish I did. I've never been more impressed with the build of a backpack and how well it holds up....and I collect Kifaru and Mystery Ranch stuff. End of sales pitch. :)

After that, Tom Bihn has lots of really good stuff, non tactical.

i've carried a classic timbuk2 messenger bag since college but have been looking at backpacks recently. i really like the looks of what gregory is putting out. check out the compass, border, and sketch packs.

LostArra

WKR
MR Scapegoat 25 is one I'm considering for similar use.

I just wish the belt either folded away like the 3DAP or was removable.

JWP58

WKR
Second Kelty Redwing. You can remove the waist belt and frame stay. You can also use it in a pinch to hunt with too.

Dameon

WKR
I've been looking at the MR Front pack for my every-day pack here at the university. I don't drive around campus and walk to my meetings, so I like to keep my laptop along with some EDC essentials in my pack at all times. I just don't know how well the bladder sleeve will work as a laptop sleeve.

You could get the HPG tarahumara and then add the tarapocket? Total about 180.

I have the umlindi and the tarapocket. Use the backpack for some smaller hikes and doing anything around town. Utilized the pocket once; when I went overseas for a week. The tarapocket added just enough on top of the umlindi for a solid carry on bag.

But since price is being factored...tarahumara and pocket